Trackbars: OEM, TF Bushing replacement, JKS, something else? Unicorns?

LoPo

Caught the Bug
So I have a TF Gen 2 Front Trackbar. Seems that my frame side bushing is going out as I can get some movement in it when I turn the wheels side-to-side. TF sells a replacement bushing for $25. I've heard that pulling the installed one and installing the new one is a bitch. MTG was telling me that an OEM Trackbar can be had for ~$60. I've found the JKS one for ~$190.

My question is... is the OEM Tbar going to be fine and hold up? Is there really a benefit to the JKS? I'd spend the extra $35 to save myself the time and cussing while trying to press out the old bushing and press in the new one if I'm not gaining anything.

Sharkey

Word Ninja
If memory serves, EVO1 was running its OEM trackbar with no issues until this year's Vegas to Reno. I don't have to tell you how hard that rig is run. Seems like the OEM gets the job done.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
So I have a TF Gen 2 Front Trackbar. Seems that my frame side bushing is going out as I can get some movement in it when I turn the wheels side-to-side. TF sells a replacement bushing for $25. I've heard that pulling the installed one and installing the new one is a bitch. MTG was telling me that an OEM Trackbar can be had for ~$60. I've found the JKS one for ~$190.

My question is... is the OEM Tbar going to be fine and hold up? Is there really a benefit to the JKS? I'd spend the extra $35 to save myself the time and cussing while trying to press out the old bushing and press in the new one if I'm not gaining anything.

What I can tell you is that I run a factory track bar on both my JK's and have been for quite a while now. It is what I prefer and it is what EVO 1 runs as well. Nothing wrong with the JKS track bar but I don't know if it's needed. The only thing I would recommend is that you get an older 2007-10 track bar as the newer ones have a spherical frame side joint and it doesn't seem to last as long.

LoPo

Caught the Bug
Sweet thanks for the confirm!

Sent from my SM-N900V using WAYALIFE mobile app

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Sweet thanks for the confirm!

Sent from my SM-N900V using WAYALIFE mobile app

Get the older style track bar. 07-10 not the newer one. The older one is better and what I had to switch to after getting play in my stock one.

Rebel JK

I found that replacing my OE TB bushings out was not bad if using the driver tool for the press to keep things centered. Took about 30 minutes to knock out the old ones and re press new set.

LoPo

Caught the Bug
I'm pretty sure this is it: 52059983AC

Cool thanks. :thumb: That's seems like a pretty hard part to source online from the usual suspects. :)

I'll have to make a few calls to see anyone can get it close to the price of 52059983AD. Seems this factory mopar parts site wants $150 for either model.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Cool thanks. :thumb: That's seems like a pretty hard part to source online from the usual suspects. :)

I'll have to make a few calls to see anyone can get it close to the price of 52059983AD. Seems this factory mopar parts site wants $150 for either model.

So long as the Crown one comes with clevite bushings on both ends, I personally wouldn't hesitate to run one. You could save quite a bit going that route. Of course, if you really want a JKS, I probably have one in my garage along with a host of other track bars I no longer use.

sjd78

I wonder why the design was changed if the old design is better? I have a 14 so maybe I should ask around locally and see if I can get someone's take off. :yup:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I wonder why the design was changed if the old design is better? I have a 14 so maybe I should ask around locally and see if I can get someone's take off. :yup:

The addition of a spherical joint on the frame side mount was supposed to better as in it would offer less bind. The problem is, the joint just doesn't seem to last as long. The older style uses bonded rubber bushings on both ends and they last a lot longer.

JAGS

Hooked
I picked up an extra stock trackbar some time ago. Guy included in a deal when I bought a BB I thought I was going to run. Re-sold the BB, put kept the TBar. Is there a way to tell what kind of joint it is and/or what year it might have come off of? Sorry to mini highjack LoPo, but partially on topic.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
The addition of a spherical joint on the frame side mount was supposed to better as in it would offer less bind. The problem is, the joint just doesn't seem to last as long. The older style uses bonded rubber bushings on both ends and they last a lot longer.

If the frame side joint moves it's the new style. If it's fixed it's the old style.

sjd78

Thanks for the explanation. I appreciate it!

What I can tell you is that I run a factory track bar on both my JK's and have been for quite a while now. It is what I prefer and it is what EVO 1 runs as well. Nothing wrong with the JKS track bar but I don't know if it's needed. The only thing I would recommend is that you get an older 2007-10 track bar as the newer ones have a spherical frame side joint and it doesn't seem to last as long.

Eddie,

Are you running factory front and rear track bars?

How many inches of lift do you have on the front?

How many inches of lift in the rear?

With the amount of lift you have, how much offset do you see on your front and for the rear axle?

THX in advance....

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Eddie,

Are you running factory front and rear track bars?

How many inches of lift do you have on the front?

How many inches of lift in the rear?

With the amount of lift you have, how much offset do you see on your front and for the rear axle?

THX in advance....

Yes, front and rear factory track bars. I am running ProRocks with EVO track bar relocation brackets and with the 3.5" of lift I have, the axles are relatively centered.

Top Bottom