U101 Lost Communication with TCM

computeruser6

I was driving through some desert roads and my brake fault and sway bar lights started to randomly turn on. After that I: stopped, turn the vehicle off, did a quick inspection and found nothing wrong. I started it back up and the two lights randomly came back on and started doing it more frequently and my dashboard started to light up. I pulled over again, this time off I-8. I remembered reading about people having problems with the Smart-Bar causing some the same symptoms. So I tried to disconnect the bar and the plug wasn't coming off very easily so I decided to cut the wires since I was going to install this soon anyway. After that I tried to start the Jeep back up but it would not do so. I could turn the ignition to start and the engine would turn over but not actually start. I then plugged my OBDII reader in and this was the code it pulled out. I eventually got back home and looked up what my service manual had to say about this. One of the listed causes was an open or short in the CAN. Was I just that much of a dumb-ass and acted too quickly? Should I have waited until I got home to disconnect the Smart-Bar? If I disable the Smart-Bar with my calibration module would this problem disappear?Any experience or help with this problem is greatly appreciated.

-Dirk

Last edited:

computeruser6

Mechanically sound, electrically ground...

And it turns out the culprit was heavily damaged buswork in the TIPM. At least I have two thousand miles left on my warranty. Who else has dealt with a broken TIPM?

Top Bottom