Evo rocker skins the cure for low RPM vibration?

KingCopperhead

Recently installed my EVO rocker skins and I absolutely love them. Since I bought my jk brand new last summer I've been chasing down a very annoying low RPM rattle/vibration. Typically the vibration would occur at stoplights, sitting at the bank drive thru etc. Anyway, a nice side effect that I've noticed is that since installing these skins, the vibration is drastically reduced. I did insulate the skins with silicone sealant around the perimeter, but my thinking is that the combination of increasing the structural rigidity of the flimsy sheet metal on the body, plus the vibration dampening characteristics of the silicone added up to a much more quiet jeep when I'm idling.

Has anyone had a similar experience? All of that aside, I am extremely pleased with this mod, and I can't wait to get my sliders on later this week.

Recently installed my EVO rocker skins and I absolutely love them. Since I bought my jk brand new last summer I've been chasing down a very annoying low RPM rattle/vibration. Typically the vibration would occur at stoplights, sitting at the bank drive thru etc. Anyway, a nice side effect that I've noticed is that since installing these skins, the vibration is drastically reduced. I did insulate the skins with silicone sealant around the perimeter, but my thinking is that the combination of increasing the structural rigidity of the flimsy sheet metal on the body, plus the vibration dampening characteristics of the silicone added up to a much more quiet jeep when I'm idling.

Has anyone had a similar experience? All of that aside, I am extremely pleased with this mod, and I can't wait to get my sliders on later this week.

Cool I amy have to get me a set of rocker skins.

BTW why type of silicone did you use? there are some out there that are more acidic that others. The more the sealant smells like vinegar the more acidic it is and will cause damage to not only the paint but the surface metal.

R/
Will

KingCopperhead

Cool I amy have to get me a set of rocker skins.

BTW why type of silicone did you use? there are some out there that are more acidic that others. The more the sealant smells like vinegar the more acidic it is and will cause damage to not only the paint but the surface metal.

R/
Will
I used sikaflex 221. I was going to initially go with permatex right stuff rtv, but my friend who helped with the install recommended the sikaflex. He does a lot of work rebuilding and maintaining ambulances and that's what they use in his shop he highly recommended it. It sealed everything up extremely well, is temperature resistant also. Hopefully it won't trash my paint underneath but with all the holes, and the scratches and dents that I got off road, it doesn't matter to me.

Definitely give the evo skins a look though. Great product. Fit and finish was perfect.

Top Bottom