Its that time of year fellas.....talk to me about snowblowers.

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
So the wife and I purchased our first house this past june, and now actually have to do everything ourselves, including snow removal. We have a driveway (2 cars wide 2 cars deep), we must clean the sidewalk (about 40 feet worth) and about 20 feet of walkway to the front door. I don't need anything crazy, just wondering what's a good "bulletproof" modestly sized snowblower that you guys have come across, and if you have any suggestions on what to look for in a snow blower, that would be helpful. I have always bought my motorized things with Honda engines and have had great luck (especially my powerwasher from home depot) but am open to everything, TroyBilt, Craftsman, Toro, etc. Thanks for the help boys!

Sharkey

Word Ninja
Honda with tank tracks. They make it so much easier if your driveway has any grade to it.

Last edited:

biggy

My craftsman has always treated me well. I live in a snow belt so it gets used a lot and i havnt had any problems with it in eight seasons. Get a two stage blower if you can.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using WAYALIFE mobile app

scull20

Ariens makes great snowblowers, but they tend to be on the expensive side. You should decide on whether you want a single-stage or two stage blower. The former only has a single auger that will collect and throw the snow, and also is not self propelled, as in you will do the pushing. The latter has an auger to collect and another to blow the snow and also has wheels driven by the motor.

I would take to craigslist and see if you can find something used. If you find someone who's trying to sell one that won't start, odds are the carb jets need cleaning and you'll be good to go.

Gadget

Caught the Bug
I was in the same boat, moved from Texas to Pa, my experience is get a 2 stage, self propelled with electric start at minimum. We got a Yard Machine 8hp 24 in for between 700 to 800 $ 4 or 5 yrs ago, no problems. Electric start is great, pour in fresh gas plug it in and press the button always lights right off. Tried pull starting it, not that bad but after sitting for 8 months doubt it would be fun.

catahoula

Caught the Bug
One of the reasons I moved outta Nebraska! I used a Toro 2450..I think for 7 years at my house there and very happy. It was a 2 car wide 2 car deep driveway. Never had a problem with it. Always started. It had the tire tread type of paddle. I would not recommend the huge metal bladed ones....waste of money IMHO. Would handle deep snow and shoot it off to the side. Best time to "blow" is when it is fresh.

cwmt3

Ariens makes great snowblowers, but they tend to be on the expensive side. You should decide on whether you want a single-stage or two stage blower. The former only has a single auger that will collect and throw the snow, and also is not self propelled, as in you will do the pushing. The latter has an auger to collect and another to blow the snow and also has wheels driven by the motor.

I would take to craigslist and see if you can find something used. If you find someone who's trying to sell one that won't start, odds are the carb jets need cleaning and you'll be good to go.

X2 the ariens. My grandfather had one from long ago that lasted decades. Now I have a 24inch 2 stage with maybe a touch larger driveway. It works and starts so easy. 5 stars from me in Canada.

Armydog

X2 on Ariens. Mine is about 5 years old. 28" cut and 9.5hp (I think). Runs like a bear and throws snow 30 feet even wet sloppy northeastern snow. No issues, but thanks for the reminder.....I need to drop it off at the shop for the pre-season tune up.

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
You don't get that much snow in the city. I would get a shovel.

I live in NJ, 19 miles outside the city. We got hammered last year but luckily I lived in a building and it was done for us. No way Im going to clean my driveway, walkway and sidewalk with a shovel.

Super T

Ariens is great if you can afford it, hands down. Honda - too much hype. You wont go wrong for that model and that price. I might head south for one of my own to replace mine.

Point to add, make sure you have quick access to parts in your area if you have a major snowstorm. Getting a lot of snow and having no belt...ya...

Last edited:

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
Ariens is great if you can afford it, hands down. Honda - too much hype. You wont go wrong for that model and that price. I might head south for one of my own to replace mine.

Point to add, make sure you have quick access to parts in your area if you have a major snowstorm. Getting a lot of snow and having no belt...ya...

I've never heard of Ariens, but from this thread I can deduce that they are a major player in the snow removal game? (The fact that I haven't heard of it means nothing obviously.) As for spares, do parts break at random, or is it like a car belt that ages and then breaks? Should I have a spare belt just in case (even for a new machine?)

Armydog

I would have a few spare share pins. They tend to go if you hit a chunk of ice or something solid. Better than breaking a shaft but you ain't moving snow without one. Other than that I haven't had any routine failure issues.....

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app.......

Top Bottom