1973 J-4000 lift kit?

Oregonjeeper

I am looking at buying a 1973 j-4000 from a friend and i am wondering if there is a lift kit out there for it??:thinking:

Any help would be great thanks :thumb:

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
That's a great looking truck. I saw one just like it for sale in California about the time I bought my J2000. As mentioned, if it were me, I'd keep it stock :yup:

Oregonjeeper

It was some old guys dump run truck the inside of the bed is perfect but on the rear passenger side he hit something ...othen that its perfect

GCM 2

So back when I had my J-20 (basically just a later model of the J-2000) I had custom recurved leaf springs, as this was the most high tech solution back in the 1980's. But if you are saying it is in really good shape, and like the others are saying, I would not do anything radically different to the truck. That looks to be a really nice survivor. If you are just wanting to create a better looking stance by adding a little larger wheel with some lift, juts look into lift blocks since they are cheap. But re-curved springs is the better solution without getting into custom fabricated coil spring conversions or high end coilovers. Lift blocks are not really meant for any type of serious off roading, just giving it a higher stance for more wheel to fit into the wheel well. The lift blocks can become unstable and help the entire axle housing to easily rotate (up or down) under heavy power, and then your lift blocks just get spit out from between the leaf spring and the axle tube. Really tall lift blocks can also cause issues when turning left or right see below illustration.

rotational issue

131_0708_03_z+4x4_front_lift_blocks+braking_diagram.jpg

side loading issues

131_0708_02_z+4x4_front_lift_blocks+front_axle_diagram.jpg

JayKay

Caught the Bug
I'm really digging these old Jeep trucks since seeing a lot of them on the forum. I never paid much attention to them before because there aren't many in my area because of a well known thing called road salt. I know a decent one is hard to track down from the get go, but did they ever make either a J series or even an FC in a crew cab. I'd love to have an old Jeep truck, but with a growing family, a large cab is a must. I plan on buying a truck in the next 3 years or so after my JK is paid off.

HansSolo

Hey check out BJ'sOffroad.com I lifted my J20 using there website. Great parts and its all Full Size Jeeps.

Avoid blocks as those can create issues for you as previously mentioned, and can actually be downright dangerous! (In other word, bad suggestion)

I'm not sure how much lift you are looking for but one thing that would likely work would be a simple set of add-a-leafs. Measure the width of your springs and find a vehicle with the same width springs and just get an add-a-leaf for that, then install it in the spring pack. That will likely only get you about 1" of lift though. It's a bit frankenlift but will work. I once put a set of CJ add-a-leafs in the back of an F150 to help its sag.

If you are looking for more, you may be able to find a local shop to built you a custom spring set or freshen up yours.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Top Bottom