Talk me out of a Full Cage...Or not.

jagerhelix

I try to complete one winter project for my jeep a year, and this winter I am looking hard at upgrading my rollover protection. I've seen enough rolled JKs with flat windshields and nearly demolished sport bars that I know what I have isn't enough. My first and most important concern is the safety of my kids in the back, then obviously myself and my wife in the front. After that, I also want the ability to flip her back over and drive home if I get myself into trouble. I don't wheel super hardcore trails but I certainly put myself in positions where a small mistake can make it happen.

I am really looking hard at the new Genright weld in cage. I have looked at a few of the sport bar reinforcement kits, like poly, Poison Spyder, OR Fab, Synergy... etc. And I keep coming back to a full on replacement. And I've never been disappointed with a Genright product.

Thoughts?

ttfhell

Are you going to race or haul butt in the desert a lot? If yes buy one all day long. If not go sport cage.

Trust your gut. If you want the full cage and don't get it for whatever reason, you'll be unhappy and in a constant state of buyers remorse. If money isn't the issue, get what you want.

My:twocents:

Either way, I look forward to seeing the write up.

jeeeep

Hooked
IMO once you install a full cage, you're creating a trail only rig not so much a DD. Sport cage I feel offers the protection you're looking for without losing the DD feel.

I'd look at some good harnesses seat belts to keep your passengers in their seats in the event of a roll over. Especially kids, they tend to slide out of the stock belts.

Corbeau makes some that bolt into the stock locations

I have the OR Fab sport cage with rear streamer for my young in. I feel you would not be happy with a full cage for two reasons 1 being hard to get the kids in and out of the Jeep. Second is the loss of function ability of the rear storage are. Again this is just my humble opinion.

R/
Will

MTG

Caught the Bug
Why would I talk you out of a full cage? :idontknow:

I've seen the genright cage first hand and can say it is great! If you can afford it, you should get it. :thumb:

I'm not sure how a full cage creates a "trail only" rig? The loss of a sound bar? Okay, hook up some speakers and a light if you feel that you need them.

I don't see getting kids into the rear seat as being hard either. You will not be able to run a rear facing car seat however. My concern would be them hitting their face on it in the event of an accident. Of course a good harness system would prevent that.

Storage loss is minimum too.

All in all, I can't think of any reason to not get a full cage…other than cost.

All that said, I think a sport cage is probably enough for most people.

And after all that said, the full cage is that much more badass. :rock:

Good luck!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Are you going to race or haul butt in the desert a lot? If yes buy one all day long. If not go sport cage.

What he said ^^^

Having said that. I have seen a JK roll 4 times on the highway doing 75 MPH and just with a sport cage and it protected the driver amazingly well. In fact, it is the only reason why he's still alive.

jagerhelix

I don't do any highspeed desert racing, I tend to stay in the rocks. It's definitely a tough call. The only picture I've seen of a JK rolling over with anything other than the stock cage is that black EVO jeep, and even that showed twisting of the body due to the weakness of the stock cage it was tied into. Unfortunately (but really fortunately) guys that have cages don't seem to be rolling these things all over the place (or at least not posting pictures) so all I really have to go off of is what I feel is safer for my family. I think I'm going to push for the full cage option. This is my winter plan though, so I've still got a bit of time to decide and weigh all the options. Certainly is tempting to put in a sport cage and use the rest of the cash to nearly put a 60 in the rear... Damn. :crazyeyes:

Top Bottom