Noob Tire Carrier mistake

I am posting this to hopefully prevent someone from doing the same. I know this will seem obvious to some and pointing out my bad decision isn't as much fun as you might think :D

After my trip to the Rubicon I started hearing a noise coming from the rear and thought it was something rolling around in the cargo area. This turned into a popping noise, after investigating the popping noise coming from the rear I realized it wasn't Bobby's cup rolling around and it proceeded to get louder even after I unloaded. The spare tire was isolated and tight however if I lifted up on it it would pop, I thought the hinges may have worked loose but they all checked out then I saw it out of the corner of my eye while lifting the tire, the sheet metal was popping :doh: I removed the tire and low and behold I creased the tailgate. This was not caused by carrying a 37" tire on a stock carrier but from dragging the tire off a big drop off on the Rubicon. It only barely touched but holding the full wait of the Jeep is obviously too much. (and yes I knew this)

I knew better and always said I would throw the spare in the back when I went wheeling but this time I didn't :doh: (why i didn't do this on the Rubicon of all places still puzzles me) Live and learn. Around town it is fine or light trails but if there is any chance it will drag on approach or departure I would NEVER use a carrier mounted to the tailgate or tailgate hinges. just my 2 cents.

2014-10-08 10.08.23.jpg

Linebacker

Caught the Bug
I think you're being too hard on yourself. Even the serious off road veterans will occasionally do this or worse. There's more than a few Wayalife vids that capture the rear end oops. My favorite is the 2013 JKX hardtop rear window explosion. Poo-poo happens!:yup:

pvanweelden

Just get a drop towing hitch, remove the ball and turn it upside down in the receiver

Sent from my SM-N900V using WAYALIFE mobile app

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
I was thinking of getting a smittybilt beavertail hoping that it would catch whatever the tire would first. Me thinks it may work.

jeeeep

Hooked
I used to use a flipped drop hitch but it would sometimes hang and didn't feel it extended out long enough.

pic before painting. had this made by a local weld shop, didn't cost much and works great

going to have them make another a bit longer for 37's

Jeep_stinger.jpg

Top Bottom