PSC tie rod clamp

Rebel JK

After blowing another seal last week its time to get the hydro assist going. Am curious as to any preferences (pros/cons)on going with the single shear style bolt connection type clamp with the welded boss, or the weld on tabs (double shear I believe) to clamp. I have an aftermarket 1.5" OD tie rod so the standard clamp for the Jk stage 1 kit wont work anyways. Thanks guys

After blowing another seal last week its time to get the hydro assist going. Am curious as to any preferences (pros/cons)on going with the single shear style bolt connection type clamp with the welded boss, or the weld on tabs (double shear I believe) to clamp. I have an aftermarket 1.5" OD tie rod so the standard clamp for the Jk stage 1 kit wont work anyways. Thanks guys

Talk to 2013Rubirick ;). He's had some recent experience with that similar setup.

jeeeep

Hooked
I have the clamp and it seems to work well, haven't really put to any real heavy use yet. Be sure to check for diff cover clearance and adjust your steering bump stops as needed.

I have the synergy tie rod and it has more flop than the stock unit, I did install Synergy's new low profile TRE dust boots (removes some of the flop) and the clamp was hitting my diff cover. Further inspection, the shop must not have checked the steering because at full driver side steer, the steering stop bolt was not making any contact at all. Couple of washers, problem solved.

This also got rid of the odd issue I was having with the steering, my best guess is the tie rod was flopping down during the steer (allowed it to clear the diff cover) and then pulling up and catching on the diff cover as I came out of the steer. There was no noticeable damage to the cover or the clamp but it would've been different during articulation.

ram_clamp.jpg

That's a metaljoke tie rod not synergy. When you order the kit from psc or northridge. That where I ordered mine. Just tell them you have a 1.5" tie rod and they will send you the right clamp.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Ah ya metaljoke my bad. Sorry for the incorrect info everyone.

jeeeep

Hooked
Here is 2013Rubirick's synergy tie rod and PSC setup. Just remember how much force that ram has.

View attachment 105380

wow! I wondered if something like that might be an issue when I saw how much flop the synergy bar had and allowing the ram to push/pull off its parallel plane too much.

now I'm really glad I installed the new TRE covers, I suspect Synergy also saw this as an issue because when I called they told me hydro assist steering was the reason they designed the low profile covers to take up the flop.

Think I'll still get a stock tie rod to keep on hand, cheap insurance...

Even though the damaged tie rod is not synergy, I would've still installed the low profile covers.

Last edited:

Rebel JK

Damn, that gives a good illustration to between a rock and a hard place! It looks like the the single shear clamp has plenty of strength and definitely easier install. Was leaning towards the welded tabs until I saw this.
Yep that ram has plenty of ass to to find the weak link for sure. Wonder if having a better tie rod would have either moved the boulder or stressed at tie rod end. A friend of mine snapped his knuckle last year on his cj with his psc moving rocks lol. Gave him an excuse I guess to upgrade the knuckles.
You've got me thinking though on the rod "flop". Stupid question, the ram will actually encourage flop or rotation correct? Shouldn't be an issue with solid TRE's?

bkac

Caught the Bug
Being there when this happened I personally feel there was more going on to contribute to this failure. Yes the metaljoke didn't hold up to the ram but i don't think this was the first time that tierod was bent. I also didn't like the angle the ram was pushing on the tierod. It seemed to me it had a bit of an outward angle along with the side to side movement. It wouldn't take much outward pressure to bend even the strongest solid tierod when the tires are wedged if the ram angle isn't correct. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying the mc didn't fail, just not sure that was the only reason for the failure. I think the ram assist angle is much better when the High steer is included with the install unless you customize the axle bracket. But hey I'm always learning too. Idk...

Sent from my VS980 4G using WAYALIFE mobile app

Being there when this happened I personally feel there was more going on to contribute to this failure. Yes the metaljoke didn't hold up to the ram but i don't think this was the first time that tierod was bent. I also didn't like the angle the ram was pushing on the tierod. It seemed to me it had a bit of an outward angle along with the side to side movement. It wouldn't take much outward pressure to bend even the strongest solid tierod when the tires are wedged if the ram angle isn't correct. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying the mc didn't fail, just not sure that was the only reason for the failure. I think the ram assist angle is much better when the High steer is included with the install unless you customize the axle bracket. But hey I'm always learning too. Idk...

I agree...but wanted to give fair warning before putting a PSC on :)

Rebel JK

Yep I hear what your putting down. Maybe to gain clearance from the diff cover the clamp is/was rotated more forward than the optimal plane. Add the resistance of some heavy boulders and that may spell trouble. Kind of like a tie rod verses the business end of an industrial log splitter lol!

bkac

Caught the Bug
Yep I hear what your putting down. Maybe to gain clearance from the diff cover the clamp is/was rotated more forward than the optimal plane. Add the resistance of some heavy boulders and that may spell trouble. Kind of like a tie rod verses the business end of an industrial log splitter lol!

Exactly, that's a lot of force! The ram angle is very important in this setup! :yup:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
That's a metaljoke tie rod not synergy. When you order the kit from psc or northridge. That where I ordered mine. Just tell them you have a 1.5" tie rod and they will send you the right clamp.

You know, in all fairness, I don't think this was caused by your PSC. I have done this a few times to my factory tie-rods and without a ram assist. The bending of a tie-rod in this manner is typically caused by the torque of your front wheels while climbing something tough. Your tires will want to pinch inward and if your tie rod is weak, it will give. Granted, you would think that an aftermarket tie-rod wouldn't do this but then, I guess that's why they are known as MetalJoke. :crazyeyes:

Oh, for what it's worth, we have NEVER had a problem with our Currie tie-rod. Pricey for sure but hands down, the single best tie-rod you can get for a Dana 44 and no, they don't sponsor me :crazyeyes:

Panda

You know, in all fairness, I don't think this was caused by your PSC. I have done this a few times to my factory tie-rods and without a ram assist. The bending of a tie-rod in this manner is typically caused by the torque of your front wheels while climbing something tough. Your tires will want to pinch inward and if your tie rod is weak, it will give. Granted, you would think that an aftermarket tie-rod wouldn't do this but then, I guess that's why they are known as MetalJoke. :crazyeyes:

Oh, for what it's worth, we have NEVER had a problem with our Currie tie-rod. Pricey for sure but hands down, the single best tie-rod you can get for a Dana 44 and no, they don't sponsor me :crazyeyes:

Eddie do you think this is less likely to happen with the high steer kit ? Sorry to hijack

bkac

Caught the Bug

The Currie seems like a beast. I believe when I go to PSC that will also be included along with high steer knuckles and a PR!
Right now I just enjoy bending my factory tierod while texting and crawling or not paying attention to my lines. Lol

It did happen when I was climbing up a ledge. I was gonna go with the currie tie rod but didn't want to drop the cash bevause I'm going to a 60 within a couple months.

wow! I wondered if something like that might be an issue when I saw how much flop the synergy bar had and allowing the ram to push/pull off its parallel plane too much.

now I'm really glad I installed the new TRE covers, I suspect Synergy also saw this as an issue because when I called they told me hydro assist steering was the reason they designed the low profile covers to take up the flop.

Think I'll still get a stock tie rod to keep on hand, cheap insurance...

Even though the damaged tie rod is not synergy, I would've still installed the low profile covers.

Thanks for the info. I just ordered the covers. They said it would really help.

Top Bottom