Dome light issue ????

SEMPERFI8387

Long time lurker, now I need help ..........

I picked up a 2012 Orange Crush JK for my wife (I have a 2011 Cosmos Blue JKU).
I have an issue with the dome light. It will NOT work with the doors opening.
I have checked everything I can think of.
Here's the scenario.
Will NOT light via the doors, NOR the multi-function switch but WILL if I reach up and manually hit the switch up at dome.
Fuse is good (I actually verified my Jeep worked properly then swapped fuses).
The Multifunction switch WILL dim the dash lights, and WILL show any door AJAR so the door switch must be working ???
I actually tried another MF switch off ebay and seemed to work normal other than dome light function.

Any ideas before I finally give in and take it to the dealer.
I am quite mechanical, so I'm not scared to tear into things.
Actually my next project is replacing the glass in both doors as they are scratched to all he**.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me ..........

gtony12

Caught the Bug
Did you check the light bulb? to make sure not burned out?, also no sure but did you check all fuses?

SEMPERFI8387

Yup, doors are plugged in as the "ajar" note comes up in dash.
Fuse checked as I stated above. I actually took the one from my "working" Jeep, and the one from the "non working" Jeep, and it works in my Jeep, so I know it's good.
Both bulbs work if I manually push switch up at dome.

Any other ideas .......

MTG

Caught the Bug
I actually checked all the driver settings this morning to see if it was an option on the 2012+ (it isn't). Did you try resetting the computer? Other thoughts: Corrosion on the pins? Bad connection on the plug (inside the door...I've caught my plug a few times with the doors off)? I haven't looked but is there a door switch (probably not it if the door ajar is working).

Good luck! I'm curious what you come up with.

SEMPERFI8387

Thought about a computer reset, but wasn't sure if the Computer / TIPM had any bearing on the dome light functionality being the "ajar" light is still working.
Also note, ALL 3 DOORS note "ajar" or "gate" so I don't think it's switches/connectors. I was debating on pulling my MF switch out of my 2011 just for sh**s and giggles, but I doubt that's it, being I tried a "new" takeoff from Feebay.

gtony12

Caught the Bug
Just thinking here but does the wiring run thru a relay? Maybe it bad? Would have to see a schematic like you said

Sent from my SCH-I545 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Jnbailey86

I have the same exact problem with my 2011 Rubicon Unlimited. I have read tons of blogs with no success. Let me know if you figure it out.

bnatt78

That is sounding like one of my problems right now with my 2011 Rubicon Unlimited. Keep me informed with the answers.

Rccrwlr

I think I would pull the bulb and check the voltage. I believe there should be 2 power legs and a ground. There should be constant power so you can turn it on with a tap. A second power leg for multi switch control. Check voltage when you use the multi switch. The wires run under the roll at covers. Maybe one wire is damaged.

jeepguy2014

I have had one of my pins on the plug somehow pushed in farther on my harness and when I put it back into place it worked perfect since

Jayrh68

Ran across this ancient thread as I am having the exact issue. Mine started after I put the doors back on after being off all summer. Plugs look good and all other door functions work fine. Dome light will only turn from the individual switches, but not from doors ir the dimmer. Oh yeah, 2012, curious if you found the issue.

Frydaddy

Ran across this ancient thread as I am having the exact issue. Mine started after I put the doors back on after being off all summer. Plugs look good and all other door functions work fine. Dome light will only turn from the individual switches, but not from doors ir the dimmer. Oh yeah, 2012, curious if you found the issue.

M2015 Amp BlueCabin Compartment Node Interior Light (CCN INT LIGHT), Switch Bank (SW BANK),Steering Control Module (SCM)

This is the fuse that powers the unit. but...

I think I would pull the bulb and check the voltage. I believe there should be 2 power legs and a ground. There should be constant power so you can turn it on with a tap. A second power leg for multi switch control. Check voltage when you use the multi switch. The wires run under the roll at covers. Maybe one wire is damaged.

the bulb doesn't have three wires, you have to pull the whole light pod, its easier to pull the rear light pod. the pod has a three prong plug, a positive, a ground, and a door signal. That door signal line might pull-up to 12v or pull-down to ground, so when you meter it, compare both options.

If youre inclined, just trace the metal tabs inside the rear light pod to figure out if it is a pull-up or pull-down type of signal. the best way to do this is look at the three wire switch in the pod. one lead goes to the bulb, one to a constant source, and another to the signal line incoming.

Edit: Oh yea, once you verify that the signal wire is operating properly or not. you can rule out the wiring, or not. We really need a diagram to trace the signal wire back to a relay.

Last edited:
Top Bottom