Aluminum evo corners/armor

JKJody

So evo finally released these. Question, is the aluminum corners strong enough to support their tire carrier now? I know its a separate piece but I'm no engineer and would love to know. I may be going this route.......any thoughts?

JKJody

Maybe. I been looking at the evo a bit more. Now, i like the fact that aev opens with the gate and holds fuel tucked up in a nice place, however i came down on it pretty hard navigating the old sluice on the rubicon. Just about took the tire off the carrier. Also the bolt that secures the spindle to the housing is chewed up bad because its location. With that said not sure about the aev at this point.

GCM 2

can the skins be anodized?

It's alumimum, I would think like all other aluminum, it can be anodized. That's a costly option for something that when it gets scuffed up, and you want to repair it, will have to be removed, sanded/smooth, cleaned and re anodized. It's why people either leave it raw or paint it.

Last edited:

SmokinV10

Caught the Bug
Maybe. I been looking at the evo a bit more. Now, i like the fact that aev opens with the gate and holds fuel tucked up in a nice place, however i came down on it pretty hard navigating the old sluice on the rubicon. Just about took the tire off the carrier. Also the bolt that secures the spindle to the housing is chewed up bad because its location. With that said not sure about the aev at this point.

I liked the concept of the AEV design and generally liked the AEV carrier when I had it. Its a great concept to have their fuel caddy tucked away but the system started to have some issues with a 37" tire. I know it is said to handle a 37" tire, but that heavier tire would wobble terribly when shutting the door. Also There is a nut used to tighten/snug-up the spindle holding the tire, that would come loose and cause rattling.

The EVO carrier isn't as easy to open/close but it is solid as a rock and doesn't rattle one bit with a 40" tire.

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
hmm I may have to sell my steel ones and get the alum set so I can make mounting up the genright side plate easier

bkac

Caught the Bug
I wonder how they're going to look unpainted after a few years.

Sent from my VS980 4G using WAYALIFE mobile app

JAGS

Hooked
I wonder how they're going to look unpainted after a few years.

Should look pretty much the same as it does now, provided you don't do anything to coat it. It has a natural oxidation process that basically puts a self coating that is roughly the same color as the aluminum.

Painting/coating it actually means you'll possibly have more upkeep than just keeping it raw.

I have the rear facia in raw aluminum, so guess I'll know for sure over time.

bkac

Caught the Bug
Is it getting that chalky look to it yet like and old truck tool box?

JKJody

Im powder coating mine. Anvil and raw aluminum=blah. But thats just me. I wonder if the install will be a little easier with the aluminum.

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
Im powder coating mine. Anvil and raw aluminum=blah. But thats just me. I wonder if the install will be a little easier with the aluminum.

I think it's the same process. Still have to drill and use nutserts.

Top Bottom