Is it supposed to be this hot?

Ant's JK

Just curious I was under my jeep after its been sitting for about 2hrs and the transmission and motor cover are still pretty darn hot. Is that normal?

Sent from my XT907 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Ant's JK

Well I probably ran it for about 20 min prior to that on the hwy. I just couldn't believe the heat coming off the trany and motor after all that time.

GuillaumeC91

I don't know about the 3.8L, but the 3.6L runs pretty darn hot. Every time it rains it gets me when I see steam coming out of the hood when stopped at a light :eek:

Don't follow me, I'm lost too! O|||||||O

GCM 2

Going to be Captain Obvious here....

Just curious I was under my jeep after its been sitting for about 2hrs and the transmission and motor cover are still pretty darn hot. Is that normal?

You guys do know that once you shut the vehicle off that the circulation of coolant through the motor and radiator, and the circulation of trans fluid to its cooler stops. Therefore with no ability to effectively dissipate heat, the engine and trans temperatures begin to climb for several minutes, and if you had an analog or digital dash gauge that shows actual numbers you would see the temps steadily climb way to levels that you might only see under extreme conditions of a normal functioning cooling system. In fact, have you not noticed that after parking any vehicle and turning the motor off that the electric fan to the radiator (if it is not already running) will turn on several seconds, or in some cases 10, 15, 30 seconds after the vehicle is off? As the temperatures rise once the motor is off, the thermostats sense this and kicks the fan on, but it is only cooling what fluid has settled into the radiator. Unless you are experiencing abnormally high temperatures while driving under normal conditions, there is nothing to worry about. I live in the desert where it regularly reaches 110+ in the summer, my jeep is overloaded with armor, large 1 ton axles, 40" tires, a tiny stock 3.8L motor and I have never had on episode of engine overheating. I did have to add an additional trans cooler and power steering cooler because of the 40" tires.

hogtyed

With all this being said would a louvered hood help with this extra heat? I have been thinking about this on my 2012. :thinking:

JKWrang

Probably, but not enough to make me purchase one! Haha

Sent from my SCH-I545 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Ant's JK

Even after letting the jeep sit for a while I could of probably still grilled a steak on the oil pan :eek:

Top Bottom