Upgrading to larger tires

tonytony9

It looks like I am going to be needing new tires (maybe all four) by the end of the this fall/very early winter (the drive tire is especially worn). I have always wanted bigger tired than my current (265's I believe).

Is it a bad idea to go bigger if my 2008 wrangler unlimited has 112k miles? What is the biggest size you guys recommend (not looking to lift it yet as I can't afford that just yet)?

Can I also get some pictures of your jeeps without a lift but larger tire sizes?

This is what my jeep currently looks like
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1413492464.761840.jpg
I have 1.5 inch spacers on it as well as.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

HILLZ

It looks like I am going to be needing new tires (maybe all four) by the end of the this fall/very early winter (the drive tire is especially worn). I have always wanted bigger tired than my current (265's I believe).
Is it a bad idea to go bigger if my 2008 wrangler unlimited has 112k miles? What is the biggest size you guys recommend (not looking to lift it yet as I can't afford that just yet)?
Can I also get some pictures of your jeeps without a lift but larger tire sizes?
This is what my jeep currently looks like
View attachment 105704
I have 1.5 inch spacers on it as well as.
Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

You'd be able to go with 33's without any dramas, if you trim the factory flares and put in bump stop extensions you'd probably be able to run 35's but I'm not 100%. I'm sure someone else will be able to confirm this.
hope this helps.

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
What HILLZ said. With a small spacer lift you should have no problem running 33s. As for the high mileage, how have you used your jeep? Did you abuse it a lot or does it just stay on the road? If it just stayed on the road you shouldnt have to worry about breaking anything.

Loading please wait....

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
I ran 285/70r17s on my 08 with no lift, full factory fender flares, factory rims and Spydertrax wheel spacers. Didn't look too bad really. Did rub if it got twisted up much. Traded 08 in on 2014 and the 285s had less than 3k miles on them so I didn't have much offroading on them to tell you much more.

tonytony9

I ran 285/70r17s on my 08 with no lift, full factory fender flares, factory rims and Spydertrax wheel spacers. Didn't look too bad really. Did rub if it got twisted up much. Traded 08 in on 2014 and the 285s had less than 3k miles on them so I didn't have much offroading on them to tell you much more.

So if I run 33s I would not have to do any mods? Maybe the most trimming those factory flares or whatever it was?

I am the second owner of the car. But considering the condition of the vechile when I purchased it and the very stock setup I am very confident that this was just an everyday driver. In my own usage of the car all I do is drive it on streets/highways everyday. Of course I have done very limited off roading. By off roading I mean going down some dirt roads, dirt fields, bumper high mud puddles (one time), some dirt trails, ect... - Nothing like what Wayalife does in their videos.

How is highway driving with 33s?

tonytony9

What HILLZ said. With a small spacer lift you should have no problem running 33s. As for the high mileage, how have you used your jeep? Did you abuse it a lot or does it just stay on the road? If it just stayed on the road you shouldnt have to worry about breaking anything.

Loading please wait....

Refer to my general response to mudmobeeler

tonytony9

You'd be able to go with 33's without any dramas, if you trim the factory flares and put in bump stop extensions you'd probably be able to run 35's but I'm not 100%. I'm sure someone else will be able to confirm this.
hope this helps.

Refer to my general response to mudmobeeler

HILLZ

with 33's your speedo will be slightly out (indicated speed will be slightly lower than actual speed), you can fix this easily with a programmer.
but seeing you don't off road it much and that you have the 1.5" spacers you would be able to run a 33x12.5 with no dramas at all, if you do feel it is getting close to the stock flares when wheeling then you can trim them and that will give you close to 2.5" of extra clearance. on road performance if you get an all terrain tyre will be great as you'll have more contact with the road and with an AT over an MT you won't get the drone from the tyres as much. 33's at stock height will fill the guards nicely and give the JK a much tougher look. if you wanted you could get a levelling kit for the suspension which won't cost a fortune and it will give you a little bit more clearance up front if you need the piece of mind

tonytony9

with 33's your speedo will be slightly out (indicated speed will be slightly lower than actual speed), you can fix this easily with a programmer.
but seeing you don't off road it much and that you have the 1.5" spacers you would be able to run a 33x12.5 with no dramas at all, if you do feel it is getting close to the stock flares when wheeling then you can trim them and that will give you close to 2.5" of extra clearance. on road performance if you get an all terrain tyre will be great as you'll have more contact with the road and with an AT over an MT you won't get the drone from the tyres as much. 33's at stock height will fill the guards nicely and give the JK a much tougher look. if you wanted you could get a levelling kit for the suspension which won't cost a fortune and it will give you a little bit more clearance up front if you need the piece of mind

I actually really like the look of 33s without a lift. Like you said it gives it a great filled look. Do you have any recommendations of brands/places to purchase them? Of course I wish I could do hard core off roading, but I also need a reliable everyday driver :mad: .

HILLZ

I actually really like the look of 33s without a lift. Like you said it gives it a great filled look. Do you have any recommendations of brands/places to purchase them? Of course I wish I could do hard core off roading, but I also need a reliable everyday driver :mad: .

I'm in Australia so can't really recommend a good place to buy them other than Discount Tire as they are a forum sponsor, as for type of tire that's a hard one too, I'm running Summit Mod Hog's at the mo and love em but an MT would be overkill for what you need, I also have a set of Mickey Thompson STZ's which are great on road and on dirt, very quiet on the road but then it all comes down to your preference. jump into the wheels and tires thread in the jeep tech forum and do a bit of research. see link below

http://wayalife.com/forumdisplay.php?35-Wheels-amp-Tires

jeeeep

Hooked
I would get all 5 tires and do a 5 tire rotation with each oil change, if you have a flat you'll have the proper size tire as well

There is a tire size difference percentage (I forget what it is) that is recommended for 4x4 before the difference can cause damage to the diff, that's why a 5 tire rotation is recommended.

With as many miles as you have I would also get a programmer to get the trans shift points and speedo where they should be, do you have trans service records?

What gear ratio do you have?

:twocents:

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
When I went to the 285s I didn't notice that the speedo was off enough to mess with a programmer. Mine was a standard also though so I didn't have to worry about the automatic trans shift points. With an auto I would have purchased some sort of programmer, most likely Superchips brand just based on the fact that it can be used to read codes where the AEV can't. Also I had the stock 3.21 gearing and with the 6 speed I really didn't notice a difference when I went to the 285s. With an automatic you very well might.

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
Oh and as jeeeep said, buy 5 tires and do a 5 tire rotation. Not only does the same size matching spare look better hanging off the back of the jeep, it will also help you out better if you have a flat on the trail compared to the stock tires.

That's a dumb pet peeve of mine. People spend money on a lift and rims and tires and only buy 4 and then leave the stock spare hanging on the back. Then other times when they do spend the money on the tires, which aren't cheap anyways, but they buy 5 and they don't rotate the 5th one in and wind up with four worn out tires and one brand new tread wise but dry rotted tire cause its been baking in the sun on the back of the jeep it's whole life. Smh.

JKWrang

Oh and as jeeeep said, buy 5 tires and do a 5 tire rotation. Not only does the same size matching spare look better hanging off the back of the jeep, it will also help you out better if you have a flat on the trail compared to the stock tires.

That's a dumb pet peeve of mine. People spend money on a lift and rims and tires and only buy 4 and then leave the stock spare hanging on the back. Then other times when they do spend the money on the tires, which aren't cheap anyways, but they buy 5 and they don't rotate the 5th one in and wind up with four worn out tires and one brand new tread wise but dry rotted tire cause its been baking in the sun on the back of the jeep it's whole life. Smh.

When I went from the stock sport tires (the little roller skate wheels) to rubi take offs the difference wasnt noticeable on the speedo and the drive didnt change at all.

With the 35s the speedo was 5mph off (slower) and the gearing makes my drive style change but bearably so. If you have an auto id get a flashcal for sure.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using WAYALIFE mobile app

May I suggest looking at some Rubi take off's. You can get a set of 5 for around $1100 when you can find them. The Rubi take off is a little bigger than your current tire and they come with some kick ass rims as well. Also if you go with a different tread pattern and size look at getting all 5 and doing a 5 tire rotation.

R/
Will

bkac

Caught the Bug
I have 5 2014 Rubi take offs with less then 400 miles I'll let go for $850. :thumbup:

Sent from my VS980 4G using WAYALIFE mobile app

tonytony9

I would get all 5 tires and do a 5 tire rotation with each oil change, if you have a flat you'll have the proper size tire as well

There is a tire size difference percentage (I forget what it is) that is recommended for 4x4 before the difference can cause damage to the diff, that's why a 5 tire rotation is recommended.

With as many miles as you have I would also get a programmer to get the trans shift points and speedo where they should be, do you have trans service records?

What gear ratio do you have?

:twocents:

I will look into that for sure. I do not know what gear ratio I have. Its a 2008 jeep wrangler unlimited X automatic not sure on ratio. Also I have the car faxs not sure about the trans service records.

tonytony9

When I went to the 285s I didn't notice that the speedo was off enough to mess with a programmer. Mine was a standard also though so I didn't have to worry about the automatic trans shift points. With an auto I would have purchased some sort of programmer, most likely Superchips brand just based on the fact that it can be used to read codes where the AEV can't. Also I had the stock 3.21 gearing and with the 6 speed I really didn't notice a difference when I went to the 285s. With an automatic you very well might.

How much are the programmers?

tonytony9

I have 5 2014 Rubi take offs with less then 400 miles I'll let go for $850. :thumbup:

Sent from my VS980 4G using WAYALIFE mobile app

I want to keep my current 17inch rims, I plasti dipped them and I think they looked pretty good. But thank you anyways.

Top Bottom