Supplier for Chromoly Axles - Dana 44 30 Spline rear Non rubi

twoxstreem

Anyone recommend a supplier with good pricing on Chromoly rear axles. I have the dreaded flange squeak and want to button things up before winter sets in.

Occasionally there are some special deals floating around out there.

Also if any recommendation on brand, (G2, Tens, etc) that would be helpful.

Thanks.

I can't draw comparisons in what you have listed, but I will say that Ten Factory (what I have) handled a warranty issue I thought I had (front shaft) amazingly well, no questions asked and when the problem ended up being my fault I offered to pay for the shipping and replacement and they declined. The only thing I really don't like about their rear shafts are the wheel studs are about 5mm shorter than the stockers. They still seem long enough but there is none to spare...

Charles

Ten Factory

Anyone recommend a supplier with good pricing on Chromoly rear axles. I have the dreaded flange squeak and want to button things up before winter sets in.

Occasionally there are some special deals floating around out there.

Also if any recommendation on brand, (G2, Tens, etc) that would be helpful.

Thanks.

I ordered from Northridge with bearings pressed on and only took 4 days to receive them. Installed them last night and was a piece of cake to do. I had researched several and really they are all the same in quality just depends on the service and warrenty to their product. 10 year on ten factory. I am totally pleased with the service like always from Northridge and the quality from Ten Factory.

I ordered from Northridge with bearings pressed on and only took 4 days to receive them. Installed them last night and was a piece of cake to do. I had researched several and really they are all the same in quality just depends on the service and warrenty to their product. 10 year on ten factory. I am totally pleased with the service like always from Northridge and the quality from Ten Factory.

And Northirdge is a sponsor and has a sponsor discount code. Just look for the Northridge thread.

R/
Will

rinkishjk

I will say this... I have alloy rears, who is owned by rugged Ridge, and ten factory fronts. I originally ordered front alloy USA thinking I'll keep the same brands front and rear. The shafts I ordered off Northridge we're supposed to have Spicer joints, and full circle snap ring clips. When the order came, it had rugged ridge omx-ada joints, and half moon c clips. One call to Northridge and the issue was fixed. Apparently they used to sell them with spicer joints and full clips but no more. They were replaced with ten factory ones, which went together great and have worked great since. If I did it again I would go with ten factory all around.

sjd78

Is it worth it to replace the front axle shafts with aftermarket ones? Isn't it the U joint that usually fails resulting in taking out the ears on the shaft? I'm just curious because they are a few hundred less then RCV's and if they are worth it then it would be nice to save the cash.

Webe

Is it worth it to replace the front axle shafts with aftermarket ones? Isn't it the U joint that usually fails resulting in taking out the ears on the shaft? I'm just curious because they are a few hundred less then RCV's and if they are worth it then it would be nice to save the cash.

I had the G2 front axles shafts in my D30. Waist of money. I broke the u joints and bent the ears on 4 sets of axles before putting my stock one back in and just going with it. The stock ones did the Rubicon without issues even with an air locker up there. Just don't get stupid is all. I have since then upgraded to a well built D44 with the 35 spline. Night and day there. Just wished I would of done that out the gate.

You can grind away where the half clips butt up against and use full circle clips. I believe there's a writeup somewhere.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

To clarify things, the u-joints only fail because the c-clips work themselves off leaving nothing to hold the bearing caps in place. Once the caps come off, the trunions tear up the ears of the yoke.

Most chromoly shafts are available with full circle clips and this alone will help keep your bearing caps in place and prevent the common breaks you see on factory shafts.

I have run both RCV and standard chromoly shafts with full circle clips and still run the later. They get the job done well, are stronger than factory and a lot cheaper than RCV's.

I personally would not grind your yokes as suggested above but that's just me.

twoxstreem

I ended up with G2 chromoly rear axles from 4 wheels parts. 10 year warrantee including bent flanges. Only downside is they don't sell them assembled. A shop in town pressed the bearings for $30.

No more bent flanges and rotor squeak!

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1416453180.365677.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1416453210.954444.jpg

M_Savage

Caught the Bug

i am dreading i have the same thing. other than the squeak how did you know its a bent flange?

twoxstreem

Jack up the rear on jack stands Take the wheel off and you will see the disc wobble as it spins inside the caliper when the jeep is in drive.

I had the noise for about a year before I broke down and replaced the axle.

The swap is a breeze so long as you order the axels pre assembled.

M_Savage

Caught the Bug
Jack up the rear on jack stands Take the wheel off and you will see the disc wobble as it spins inside the caliper when the jeep is in drive.

I had the noise for about a year before I broke down and replaced the axle.

The swap is a breeze so long as you order the axels pre assembled.

yeah i was planning on doing that this weekend. my squeak has progressively gotten worse the last couple months and is not at a constant rate no matter what speed or direction my jeep is going. I had other upgrade in mind but will have to do this first. Not sure the danger of letting this continue?

twoxstreem

If it's just a slightly bent flange then you can probably live with it for a while. I would diagnose of there are other problem as well.

Top Bottom