2014 JKU w/ alpine questions

ram190

Looked under the steering column for an amp? All's I see is the inverter unit? Am I looking in the right location, is there an amp? If so, can the Dodge Nitro amp be switched in with a 2014 for sound bar improvement or is that just earlier models?

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
Looked under the steering column for an amp? All's I see is the inverter unit? Am I looking in the right location, is there an amp? If so, can the Dodge Nitro amp be switched in with a 2014 for sound bar improvement or is that just earlier models?

Nope, the nitro trick isn't going to work. Tried it. Your only option is to use a LOC AFTER the OEM amp (if you want to keep your OEM headunit), into an aftermarket amp, into a new set of speakers. Sadly, this is the only way to get more volume in your rig. If you have any specific questions, let me know, I spent the better part of 3 days redoing the system in my 2014.

ram190

Nope, the nitro trick isn't going to work. Tried it. Your only option is to use a LOC AFTER the OEM amp (if you want to keep your OEM headunit), into an aftermarket amp, into a new set of speakers. Sadly, this is the only way to get more volume in your rig. If you have any specific questions, let me know, I spent the better part of 3 days redoing the system in my 2014.

Ok, thanks, actually sounds pretty good with all the speakers replaced but came across a nitro/liberty amp for cheap and was wondering. Do you happen to know the specs of the OEM amp?

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
Ok, thanks, actually sounds pretty good with all the speakers replaced but came across a nitro/liberty amp for cheap and was wondering. Do you happen to know the specs of the OEM amp?

Specs are not really relevant. The amp in the JK is only 3/4 of the picture, the other 1/4 is the headunit. The headunit is the brain, and controls the amp itself. If you install a nitro amp into a JK, it will know it was installed into a JK and start acting like the amp your originally replaced. This was the case on my 2012 (which is why on the 14 I decided to save money and do it right the first time.)

As for your speakers, I am going to assume you replaced your OEM speakers with new ones that are 4ohm. The OEM system is 2ohm. That means, you doubled the impedance, and halved the power. While the speakers you installed are certainly of better quality, and your sound system now puts out better CLARITY, db for db, you have LOST volume, and the amount you lost will depend on the sensitivity of the replacement speakers (hopefully they are at least 91db). The JK sound system is actually very complicated (basically almost as complicated as the mercedes fiber optic stuff) and it isn't easy to mess with without sidestepping it. If you replace the OEM headunit, then you can do whatever you want but if you want to run the OEM unit (if you have a 430/730) then your options are severely limited. JK headunits don't function without the OEM amp being installed IF there was one installed from the factory.

ram190

Specs are not really relevant. The amp in the JK is only 3/4 of the picture, the other 1/4 is the headunit. The headunit is the brain, and controls the amp itself. If you install a nitro amp into a JK, it will know it was installed into a JK and start acting like the amp your originally replaced. This was the case on my 2012 (which is why on the 14 I decided to save money and do it right the first time.)

As for your speakers, I am going to assume you replaced your OEM speakers with new ones that are 4ohm. The OEM system is 2ohm. That means, you doubled the impedance, and halved the power. While the speakers you installed are certainly of better quality, and your sound system now puts out better CLARITY, db for db, you have LOST volume, and the amount you lost will depend on the sensitivity of the replacement speakers (hopefully they are at least 91db). The JK sound system is actually very complicated (basically almost as complicated as the mercedes fiber optic stuff) and it isn't easy to mess with without sidestepping it. If you replace the OEM headunit, then you can do whatever you want but if you want to run the OEM unit (if you have a 430/730) then your options are severely limited. JK headunits don't function without the OEM amp being installed IF there was one installed from the factory.

Nope, replaced with 2 ohm speakers- probably part of the reason it sounds as good as it does. What about the Kicker 77KCK056 amp? This is listed for the 2014. The dash are CDT CL-6EX.2, sound bars are infinity kappas, and tweeters are infinity reference. System looks completely stock yet people can't believe how good it sounds- I have the 130 HU, this thing is soo bottom line there isn't even blue tooth connect for my freakin' phone. Found the amp behind drivers front speaker box behind a bracket.

Last edited:

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
Nope, replaced with 2 ohm speakers- probably part of the reason it sounds as good as it does. What about the Kicker 77KCK056 amp? This is listed for the 2014. The dash are CDT CL-6EX.2, sound bars are infinity kappas, and tweeters are infinity reference. System looks completely stock yet people can't believe how good it sounds- I have the 130 HU, this thing is soo bottom line there isn't even blue tooth connect for my freakin' phone. Found the amp behind drivers front speaker box behind a bracket.

Good job on the 2ohm replacements, you're the first one I have come across that did his research, so kudos. If you have the stock headunit without navi, the best way to get a better sound system would be to get a new headunit. It is the cheapest, and most efficient way. I have the 730, which is why I wanted to keep it, but if I had the 130, I would have ditched it with the quickness. Nice touchscreen units are cheap these days, and come with all the bells and whistles. You can buy a nice trim kit that will make the install 100% factory looking. Then you can get an Alpine PDX5 amp, have it under the pass seat, have a super loud system without taking any usable space away.

ram190

Good job on the 2ohm replacements, you're the first one I have come across that did his research, so kudos. If you have the stock headunit without navi, the best way to get a better sound system would be to get a new headunit. It is the cheapest, and most efficient way. I have the 730, which is why I wanted to keep it, but if I had the 130, I would have ditched it with the quickness. Nice touchscreen units are cheap these days, and come with all the bells and whistles. You can buy a nice trim kit that will make the install 100% factory looking. Then you can get an Alpine PDX5 amp, have it under the pass seat, have a super loud system without taking any usable space away.

Yaa, been considering a HU upgrade for a while now, pretty easy to do with a PAC adapter. I took the dash apart in like less than 10 min. to get to the HU just to see, easy. Looking at something cheap like the Kenwood DPX500??

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
Yaa, been considering a HU upgrade for a while now, pretty easy to do with a PAC adapter. I took the dash apart in like less than 10 min. to get to the HU just to see, easy. Looking at something cheap like the Kenwood DPX500??

Im not a big kenwood fan. I much prefer Alpine or Pioneer. Whats your HU budget? Also, do you want single or double din? Navi or no navi?

ram190

Im not a big kenwood fan. I much prefer Alpine or Pioneer. Whats your HU budget? Also, do you want single or double din? Navi or no navi?

No nav, have stand alone units for that, probably 2 din. Don't want to drop a lot of dime, if it gets ripped out no big deal- although insurance would probably cover it. Want USB and aux up front, don't care about CD or DVD.

Last edited:

H8ROADS

Caught the Bug
No nav, have stand alone units for that, probably 2 din. Don't want to drop a lot of dime, if it gets ripped out no big deal- although insurance would probably cover it. Want USB and aux up front, don't care about CD or DVD.

I don't buy from them much, but crutchfield is great for browsing.

Regarding the amps, definitely don't bother with the swap. Your best bet is to go completely aftermarket. I've been pretty impressed with the updated 2015 system. The speakers look a little bigger, but I haven't pulled off the covers to confirm the size.

UpsideUp

I was hoping to do the same thing. So let me get this straight... if you replace the speakers make sure they are 2 ohm? Will this improve the sound delivered even the the HU sucks? And is there options out there for the HU that allow you to keep the steering wheel functions? I don't want to drop $1k on a new set up but if I can get away with a few hundred on new speakers that would be ideal.

ram190

I was hoping to do the same thing. So let me get this straight... if you replace the speakers make sure they are 2 ohm? Will this improve the sound delivered even the the HU sucks? And is there options out there for the HU that allow you to keep the steering wheel functions? I don't want to drop $1k on a new set up but if I can get away with a few hundred on new speakers that would be ideal.

I replaced all but the sub with the stock 130 HU and noticed vast sound improvement. The 2014 system is 2 ohm, so replace with 2 ohm- if you go 4 ohm you are cutting your already weak factory amps delivery in half.

Top Bottom