3.8 engine Full synthetic or conventional?

M_Savage

Caught the Bug
Ok guys I have always put my trust in paying other to change my oil. But tomorrow I am going to do it myself. However I am a little concerned since it's my first time. My question, after read some threads and videos, is do I need to use synthetic or is standard conventional oil going to work? I bought 5w20 Valvoline conventional oil today but am second guessing due to many using Mobile 1 and other full synthetic.

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
Ok guys I have always put my trust in paying other to change my oil. But tomorrow I am going to do it myself. However I am a little concerned since it's my first time. My question, after read some threads and videos, is do I need to use synthetic or is standard conventional oil going to work? I bought 5w20 Valvoline conventional oil today but am second guessing due to many using Mobile 1 and other full synthetic.

You can use conventional, nothing wrong with it. Personally, I run full synthetic on all my vehicles, for better wear protection, longer life, and lower breakdown. The 3.6L runs noticeably smoother when you feed it synthetic. I noticed an INSTANT improvement when I switched to Mobil 1 on my 2012. If you already bought it, go ahead and run it. On the next one, swing by costco and pick up a case of Mobil1 for $30. Walmart has awesome deals on Mobil1 as well. As for which brand, Mobil1 is generally the best you can get over the counter, while Amsoil is the best period...but, any big brand full synthetic is going to be of good quality...so, when selecting the oil you want to run, get any big brand full synthetic that is the best deal....9 times out of 10, it's going to be Mobil1.

hydrohut

Standard Vavoline in my opinion will do fine. Weather standard or synthetic is often down to personal choice or budget but either one won't harm your engine. I think the most important thing is to use the correct grade of 5W-20 If you go thicker you could have the dry start up problem as the thicker oil can't pass through the galleries quick enough at cold start up. Also use a quality oil filter. I use the oem Mopar filter others will recommend other brands but as long as they are of a high quality reputable brand you should be fine.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
I always ran conventional in my 3.8 until the past few changes. I switched to Mobil 1 and will stay with it.

M_Savage

Caught the Bug
Thanks guys for the replies. I just ended up using the conventional oil. Next go around I will try synthetic.
But when I finished changing the oil. I didn't get the "change oil" notification on the dash. Did I do something wrong?

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
Thanks guys for the replies. I just ended up using the conventional oil. Next go around I will try synthetic.
But when I finished changing the oil. I didn't get the "change oil" notification on the dash. Did I do something wrong?

No, you probably haven't tripped the mileage yet....give it some time. Just remember when you changed it, and if the maintenance light comes on, just shut it off.

To be completely honest I let the dealership perform the servicing on my JK. Sure I could do it myself but when I need warranty work done I have an established relationship with them which makes it easier to get the work done. Also living in an apartment complex they frown on doing maintenance in the parking area.

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
To be completely honest I let the dealership perform the servicing on my JK. Sure I could do it myself but when I need warranty work done I have an established relationship with them which makes it easier to get the work done. Also living in an apartment complex they frown on doing maintenance in the parking area.

Nothing wrong with that. Oil changes at a dealership cost almost the same or the same as doing it yourself. For example, my oil changes cost MORE than a dealer oil change, so I actually lose time/money doing it myself.

My dealership sends me coupons for a 24.95 oil change, but a case of synthetic is around $20 (cheapest possible price, usually more) and an oil filter is $8 or so....so right off the bat, it costs more.

Nothing wrong with that. Oil changes at a dealership cost almost the same or the same as doing it yourself. For example, my oil changes cost MORE than a dealer oil change, so I actually lose time/money doing it myself.

My dealership sends me coupons for a 24.95 oil change, but a case of synthetic is around $20 (cheapest possible price, usually more) and an oil filter is $8 or so....so right off the bat, it costs more.

I just do not want to deal with trying to get rid of the old oil.

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
I just do not want to deal with trying to get rid of the old oil.

NJ its easy...anyone that sells motor oil is required to take used oil back....so I do my change, put it back in the bottles, and bring it right back to the store, but again, I totally get where you are coming from, being in an apartment complex and all.

Stegertime

Caught the Bug

^^same here. My dealership actually offered me 5 changes with filters for $120 prepaid so I went for it and have a solid relationship with my service advisor who is a 12yr vet at the dealership. Makes my life easy when I bring it by for the small stuff. Almost everything has bee no charge since my commitment to them. 👍

seanb123

If that comes on turn the key two clicks not all the way on and then press the pedal three times and then turn the car on

hockeysteve2001

^^same here. My dealership actually offered me 5 changes with filters for $120 prepaid so I went for it and have a solid relationship with my service advisor who is a 12yr vet at the dealership. Makes my life easy when I bring it by for the small stuff. Almost everything has bee no charge since my commitment to them. 

This is very sound advice if you have a Dealership you can trust.

I have had such a hard time finding a Dealer in Central Pennsylvania whom wants to be fair... even the one I purchased the Jeep from.

I'm not an anti-Dealer kinda guy as when I lived in Illinois, I had worked for both a Ford and Toyota dealership as a tech and saw the inner-workings of those two particular dealers. Both were quite fair to their customers regardless if they purchased their vehicles from there.

My dilemma is the Dealership I purchased my Jeep from, gave me a quote for $2000 labor + parts & fluids to do my differentials. That is over $1000 more than the offroad specialty shops in my area that do Dana differential swaps regularly as SO many of us opt for installing bigger tires for offroad use.

Needless to say, I took to one of the specialty shops and they charged $1000 labor to install new Yukon gears with Timken overhaul kits and they will warranty the labor for the duration I keep the vehicle.

Again, if you have a Dealer that has proven to be honest, it is highly recommended to build a long-term relationship with them... but if you live in an area like me where they want to mug you every time you bring it in, you may be best suited finding a qualified private shop.

H8ROADS

Caught the Bug

This is what most retailers refer to as a loss leader.

Stegertime

Caught the Bug
This is very sound advice if you have a Dealership you can trust.

I have had such a hard time finding a Dealer in Central Pennsylvania whom wants to be fair... even the one I purchased the Jeep from.

I'm not an anti-Dealer kinda guy as when I lived in Illinois, I had worked for both a Ford and Toyota dealership as a tech and saw the inner-workings of those two particular dealers. Both were quite fair to their customers regardless if they purchased their vehicles from there.

My dilemma is the Dealership I purchased my Jeep from, gave me a quote for $2000 labor + parts & fluids to do my differentials. That is over $1000 more than the offroad specialty shops in my area that do Dana differential swaps regularly as SO many of us opt for installing bigger tires for offroad use.

Needless to say, I took to one of the specialty shops and they charged $1000 labor to install new Yukon gears with Timken overhaul kits and they will warranty the labor for the duration I keep the vehicle.

Again, if you have a Dealer that has proven to be honest, it is highly recommended to build a long-term relationship with them... but if you live in an area like me where they want to mug you every time you bring it in, you may be best suited finding a qualified private shop.

I'm with you on this one matter as well. For gears I went to ORE. Best decision I made. I told my service advisor and he knew of ORE quite well. He didn't blame me and admitted he has sent some people to them for things he couldn't do for them. I know with ORE, you agree to let them keep your old gears so it's a fair deal IMO. I say at the end of the day it's your rig and you gotta make the call. We all have a few friends who run in deprecate circles, so it's ok to do the same as long as respect and honesty come first. 😄✌️

blask06

Same for me. I've been using they're 25,000 mile synthectic recently and so far it seems great. I do have to do a filter change in between, but for me it's still worth it.

Nothing but Amsoil 5W 30 for me. My 3.8 loves it

M_Savage

Caught the Bug

don't blame you, its a good way to go. since i have done it i have been a little nervous about something going wrong. so i will probably let the dealership do them from now on. But now the trouble is finding someone to trust since i moved to a new state.. so maybe the better option is to keep doing it myself, not really sure. :crazyeyes:

Top Bottom