Planning for a ProRock44, what do I need to make it work?

KingCopperhead

As the title States, I'm in the planning phase of acquiring a ProRock44 for my JK. Going with the Northridge special package. Aside from the axle, what do I need to purchase to make this a seamless installation.
Currently running a 2 door willys with the mopar stage 3 lift (teraflex. Yuck.) anyway, it has extended control arms, but they are fixed length. Will this cause any issues?
Still using the factory drive shaft.

Thanks for any advice.

bkac

Caught the Bug
I would recommend front adjustable lowers and factory upper arms.

Sent from my VS980 4G using WAYALIFE mobile app

KingCopperhead

So uppers AND lowers. Drive shaft, on board air to support the arb locker, and rear 5.13 gears with Master install to match the gears up with the front.

bkac

Caught the Bug
You really just need front lowers, I personally would recommend EVO or Currie.

bkac

Caught the Bug
A master install kit for the rear will make things easier. That's exciting! Congrats

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
So uppers AND lowers. Drive shaft, on board air to support the arb locker, and rear 5.13 gears with Master install to match the gears up with the front.

Really you only need front lowers and you can run the stock uppers. When you regear the rear you mine as well add an ARB back there as well

KingCopperhead

Really you only need front lowers and you can run the stock uppers. When you regear the rear you mine as well add an ARB back there as well

Man I'd love to but probably going to hold off. It's out of my budget. The axle will likely be my only mod this year until it's time to replace tires. Unless I break something of course ;-)

jeeeep

Hooked
if both your stock arms are both extended length, you may need to replace both upper and lower with adjustable arms since the PR44 has steering caster built into it.

I don't know how much longer "extended" is but getting only lower adjustable arms may not be long enough to adjust your angle properly.

bkac

Caught the Bug
Why would stock arms be extended? :confused:
If you have stock (factory upper arms) adjustable lowers are all you need and will give you plenty of adjustment. The factory stock uppers are plenty strong and sufficient.

KingCopperhead

Honestly not sure how much longer my lower arms are. I don't have the stock ones for reference. The upper arms are stock. . Adjustable upper and lower are on my to do list anyway, just trying to determine whether or not I need them before I do the axle.

Most fixed lowers are 23-231/8 in length. The same number most set to (or close) lifted. With uppers and lowers the axle is pushed forward slightly, and the uppers are used to set caster/pinion.
I don't think you'll need new lowers, given they will be set close to or at what you have already. Adjustable uppers should work fine.
Of coarse I could be wrong. Call Dynatrac and see what they say.

bkac

Caught the Bug
You might want to look deeper into this and read more before you spend unnecessary money. Your factory upper arms are perfectly fine and will handle basically anything you can throw at them. That's one reason EVO doesn't even sell upper short arms. They aren't needed so don't waste your money. The reason you change the lower arms vs the factory uppers is because they are going to get beat up when on the rocks and you're going to want to be able to adjust your caster by making the arms a bit longer. would recommend getting adjustable lowers so you can dial your caster in to exactly what you need. Getting an unlimited PR44 will also give you that 6 degrees castor then you can fine tune it with your adjustable lower stronger arms to be exact . The one nice thing about the Evo lower control arms you can adjust the caster without even having to unbolt the arms. It's a very nice feature. They're really strong and solid also. But hey, this is only my opinion. Good luck. :thumbup:

KingCopperhead

Thank you for all the detailed responses. Good to get an informative discussion going.
I'll definitely call dynatrac and get their input. I don't mind doing the lowers as that was always part of the plan. I always wondered why evo didn't make uppers, now I know.

I'm at work right now but when I get some time to crawl under the jeep I will get a measurement on those arms for comparison before I call dynatrac.

I might just buy those evo arms anyway. With our northridge4x4 discount they're not too expensive at all, and it makes for one less "teraflex" item on my jeep lmao

Last edited:

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
You might want to look deeper into this and read more before you spend unnecessary money. Your factory upper arms are perfectly fine and will handle basically anything you can throw at them. That's one reason EVO doesn't even sell upper short arms. They aren't needed so don't waste your money. The reason you change the lower arms vs the factory uppers is because they are going to get beat up when on the rocks and you're going to want to be able to adjust your caster by making the arms a bit longer. would recommend getting adjustable lowers so you can dial your caster in to exactly what you need. Getting an unlimited PR44 will also give you that 6 degrees castor then you can fine tune it with your adjustable lower stronger arms to be exact . The one nice thing about the Evo lower control arms you can adjust the caster without even having to unbolt the arms. It's a very nice feature. They're really strong and solid also. But hey, this is only my opinion. Good luck. :thumbup:

All of this ^

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
I think the confusion is he already has longer fixed length lowers, so adjustable front upper ca could be used to adjust caster. But he could buy either at this point

KingCopperhead

I think the confusion is he already has longer fixed length lowers, so adjustable front upper ca could be used to adjust caster. But he could buy either at this point

This is basically what northridge4x4 told me today when I contacted them. I can either retain my mopar arms and add adjustable uppers OR buy adjustable lowers and keep my stock uppers. Either way I'll be fine.

They can also build for my stock front drive shaft if I end up needing to wait on upgrading that due to funds being limited.

Thanks for all the info guys. Need to plan and save for a few more months and get all the supporting pieces lined up. :)

Top Bottom