The New Jeep KL Cherokee - Over 150,000 Sold Since its Release in 2013

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
In spite of what all the naysayers said about how out of touch the designers at Jeep were for making the all new 2014 Jeep KL Cherokee look the way it does and for insisting that it will never sell, the facts tell a very different story. After about a year since its release back in October 2013, the all new Jeep Cherokee has averaged over 14,200 sales per month in 2014, currently represents about 10% of the mid-size SUV market and is expected to top over 170,000 total sales by the end of the year. And, as hard as it might be for some to believe, 2 out of every 3 buyers are purposefully opting for the 4 Wheel Drive System.

The reality of things is that the all new Jeep KL Cherokee was never really intended for hardcore Jeep enthusiast but rather, was designed and built to capture a whole new audience. As the marketing director of Jeep, Jim Morrison said, "What we like about the Jeep brand is once get them into the Jeep brand, we get to keep them forever... Once you get a little Jeep in their blood, they stick around."

Here's the article that prompted me to post this up.

Jeep's Cherokee is carving its niche
Michael Wayland, The Detroit News

g6c9t8r.jpg

The Jeep that wasn't "Jeep enough" is finding its place atop the brand's lineup a year after driving into dealerships.

The Cherokee, which many Jeep enthusiasts criticized due to its non-boxy design and sleek headlamps, led the SUV brand's sales in September and is carving a place for itself in the midsize sport utility and crossover vehicle segment.

"People are blown away with the whole package," Jeep marketing director Jim Morrison said in a recent phone interview. "We're getting a lot of new, conquest buyers out of imports and domestics."

Chrysler has sold about 154,000 Cherokees since the vehicle started arriving in U.S. showrooms in late October 2013, including an average of more than 14,200 per month this year. It is on pace to top 170,000 U.S. sales in 2014, which would put it among the automaker's best-selling vehicles and near the top of its segment. Global sales this year are 167,211 through September.

Read the whole article on the Detroit News here:
http://www.detroitnews.com/story/bu...014/10/19/jeep-cherokee-making-name/17591739/

I'd like to hear what you think about all this. :cool:

thardy

Banned
Can't blame Jeep for doing what they need to do to make money. My aunt bought one not too long ago, and it's a well made, nice vehicle, especially the interior and all of its gadgets. It is definitely nice, but I still find it ugly as hell. Just my :twocents:

dcbjk

Caught the Bug
I gotta say Eddie it seems that hey like Jim said Once you get a little Jeep in their blood they stick around. There are all types of people who might say like the different Jeeps as opposed to us who use em for off-road purposes and like the JK's, TJ's, XJ's and all the others. I mean hey I went to the state fair this past weekend in Raleigh, NC and saw a Jeep stroller thought it was pretty cool. Interesting article Eddie :thumb:

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Can't blame Jeep for doing what they need to do to make money. My aunt bought one not too long ago, and it's a well made, nice vehicle, especially the interior and all of its gadgets. It is definitely nice, but I still find it ugly as hell. Just my :twocents:

x2. im still not 100% fond of how it looks but it has grown on me a bit. i still have yet to see the interior and gadgets in person but it seems to be doing very well. there are TONS all over my area. i cant go out for a drive without passing at least 5 of them.

Linebacker

Caught the Bug
I panned the KL styling when it first came out and still feel the same way. OK, I admit it, my socks taste pretty bad. I think it was Motor Trend gave it 2nd place in the 4WD/AWD category in a recent test. My neighbor has one and it is comfortable, quiet, and very capable in most nasty road conditions. Still not for me though.:blush:

H8ROADS

Caught the Bug
Have any of you been in one? I sat in one at the dealer while I was waiting on my JK, and it's horrible. I'd get the grand, no questions. But it does really carve into that kia/hyundai suv segment of people - no question it was a good business move.

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
Ive said it before, but I like these jeeps. And for all the "nay sayers", if you did the "angry eye" mod to any of your jeeps, it is you fault for the terrible blinkers lol.

Loading please wait....

JKAnimal

Caught the Bug
My wife has actually been wanting one of these. She really wanted a Grand but being a small (short) gal she felt the Grand was too big. She sat in one of these at the TX state fair and really liked it. She drives a Mazda CX9 right now and this Jeep is closer to the same size. We would be going with the Trailhawk edition if she gets one because we want the 4 wheel drive. I'm sure we will mod it if we end up with one. I personally haven't seen one up close but I can get used to anything, it's still a Jeep. It's better than owing a 2wd Mazda (although it's been a great car).

They look kind of cool modded although I don't think you'd need the gas and water cans...:beer:

cherokee-trailhawk-accessories.jpg

Last edited:

Sessoms14X

Have any of you been in one? I sat in one at the dealer while I was waiting on my JK, and it's horrible. I'd get the grand, no questions. But it does really carve into that kia/hyundai suv segment of people - no question it was a good business move.

I agree, my wife and I test drove a trail hawk for her when they first came out. She thought it was okay but we'd rather save up and get her a grand cherokee instead.

Sent from my SM-G900V using WAYALIFE mobile app

AllAmericanInfidel

Caught the Bug
I say good for Jeep for selling a bunch of them. Hey, a company has got to make a profit and if this is what Jeep needs to do, then have at it. As long as they continue to make (and evolve) the Wrangler! For me personally, I would go for the renegade over this if I were looking for a small vehicle.

JayKay

Caught the Bug
I hated them when they were first unveiled, but as any new body style vehicle, they've grown on me. Of course, the Trailhawk would be the only way I could own one.

chttrbx

We have one on order. My wife fell in live with the little home wrecker when we saw it at the Gateway to the Cumberlands Jamboree. She got the trail hawk version.

KingCopperhead

Get a little jeep in ya and it stays forever. I can't tell you how many times I've read a forum post or talked to a fellow jeepers who started out life in a patriot or other jeep and ended up in a jk/cj/tj/yj. If Chrysler wants to make a "gateway" jeep for the uninitiated I'm all for it.

catahoula

Caught the Bug
I saw one the other day all blacked out. It did catch my eye. It really depends on the options on them.

Stegertime

Caught the Bug
Great info thanks Eddie! I too am not a fan of the bent grill since we Wrangler owners have so much love for the iconic look, but more Jeep owners as a whole only helps us out in the long run! 😄👍

Bacon

I've always known this Jeep wasn't for "us". They were going after the people looking at the Escape, CX5, Equinox, Rogue, Rav4, etc. Good for Jeep though. The more money they make off other models and the more they sell of those, the more likely they are to keep the Wrangler its off-road halo vehicle.

One thing keep in mind is that the Cherokee replaced the Liberty, and is a far superior vehicle. The late Liberty's were boxy (Jeep-like if you will) and they were ugly as sin. The new Cherokee is a much more modern design, is more comfortable, more fuel efficient, more spacious inside, and has much better techno features. And I would bet that it is equal to, or better than, the last-gen Liberty, stock vs stock off road. The Trailhawk is definitely better off road than any version of the last-gen Liberty.

I still don't like it. Not because it isn't "Jeep" enough, I just don't like the styling. It's simply a personal preference thing. But it's still a much better vehicle than the one it replaced.

Last edited:

darthmurdoch

TOLEDO, Ohio (AP) — The Ohio-built Jeep Cherokee has been named one of the top 10 cars in Japan.

It's the first time an American-made vehicle has appeared on the list.

Top Bottom