Wanting to switch to long arms

jagerhelix

My current setup is a RK full midarm with Fox resi shocks, 3.5" Progressive coils, and Antirock up front. I plan on swapping for some 4" plush rides and using the teraflex speed bumps to help with the body roll from the Antirocks. I understand the Speed bumps AKA foam in a can has mixed reviews but I'll be trying them for a price that is worth the chance.

I am looking for suggestions and thoughts on where I am headed with my suspension setup. And what is the most inexpensive but still legit long arm upgrade. I don't want to buy a bunch of stuff I don't need for the upgrade. I am thinking that essentially I just need brackets and the longer control arms... or am I missing something? Also, I think I'd rather not go with a 3 link like the RK long arm upgrade.

My goal here is a bit more suspension travel, and more stability on higher speed runs.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
First off, control arms that are 1" longer than stock is far from what I would call "mid". Mid to me suggests that it's somewhere in the middle of factory length and long arms but the reality of things is that long arms are typically about 10" longer than factory or there about.

Second, really, do yourself a favor and save your money and NOT get the foam in a can. Trust me, I tried running them and I hated them. They do NOTHING to really dampen big hits and if anything, are annoying as hell as they tap your axles while driving around town. If you really want to control your body roll, you need to reinstall your factory sway bar and make sure you have a rear sway bar installed.

Having said all that, if you really want to go faster, you don't need long arms to do it but, you might want to consider getting coil overs instead. If you're on a budget, the EVO bolt on's will get the job done well and will work great with factory length arms. These will do much better to provide dampening and stability at speeds and the cost will be about the same as a long arm kit. When you can afford more, get a REAL set of air bumps and that will make a BIG difference as well.

jagerhelix

I'm assuming you are talking sway bars and not track bars:) I do run the stock rear, but I'd have a hard time giving up the Antirock up front. So coilovers on a stock arm length will improve stability and useable flex more than long arms will? Forgive my ignorance here, I'm just trying to plan things out to make sure I get what is appropriate for me without spending more than I need to on what I don't.

Yep I get they are stock length, it's just the marketing terminology from RK. Maybe it's because they are high clearance that they refer to them as "mid arm" because if you unbend them they will be longer lol :dont_know: Doesn't matter either way.

jagerhelix

Long arms don't add "flex".

By "flex" I am referring to suspension travel, so having longer control arms does not enable the suspension to travel further? Assuming I still have more travel left in my shocks and my springs aren't falling out, I am having trouble seeing how it would not. Not trying to be a smart ass in any sense, just trying to further understand how everything works together.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Long arms only correct suspension geometry and by virtue of it, offer a better ride on pavement. As mentioned, long arms DO NOT provide more flex.

EDIT: Also yes, I did mean sway bars. I had one too many shots tonight :drunkbuds:

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
I'm assuming you are talking sway bars and not track bars:) I do run the stock rear, but I'd have a hard time giving up the Antirock up front. So coilovers on a stock arm length will improve stability and useable flex more than long arms will? Forgive my ignorance here, I'm just trying to plan things out to make sure I get what is appropriate for me without spending more than I need to on what I don't.

Yep I get they are stock length, it's just the marketing terminology from RK. Maybe it's because they are high clearance that they refer to them as "mid arm" because if you unbend them they will be longer lol :dont_know: Doesn't matter either way.

yes Eddie ment factory sway bars.

factory sway bars will provide more stability then the anti rock. the coilovers will allow you to obtain the highspeeds you are looking to acheive in the desert. Long arms will help bring your suspension geometry back to factory spec to improve on road handling.

By "flex" I am referring to suspension travel, so having longer control arms does not enable the suspension to travel further? Assuming I still have more travel left in my shocks and my springs aren't falling out, I am having trouble seeing how it would not. Not trying to be a smart ass in any sense, just trying to further understand how everything works together.

flex is controlled by your bumpstops for uptravel and your shock length for down travel. you want proper bump stop length to prevent bottoming out your shocks and help prevent you from rubbing at full flex and properly length shocks so that your coils dont unset at full droop. so your shock in you limiting factor ultimatly not your control arms.

Top Bottom