OEM hard top or Aftermarket

scotiez

Well I have spent a year looking for a used hardtop locally or at least a decent driving distance and came up with a big fat 0. I am taking a loan out from the bank to purchase either an OEM top from the dealer or I am thinking about buying a Bull Dawg after market hard top. After all said and done the after market one would be about $1000.00 cheaper and its a one piece instead of a 3 piece freedom top. I keep hearing horror stories about the freedom top and water leaks so I am leaning towards the Bull Dawg hard top. Love the looks of it. Just wish I could find more reviews about it. Kinda scary ordering something so far away with out being able to take a 1st hand look. Anyone out there have any experience with the Bull Dawg hard top?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Honestly, I would keep looking a bit longer. Factory hard tops fit a lot better and I can assure you that you should be able to find a good one for about $1000. I have personally sold a couple for less.

swazza94

Also have a look on ebay and you might have luck at a vehicle wrecker (Junk Yard) might be luck to find one that has had a collision with the top remaining perfect?

scotiez

I have looked constantly on ebay and craigslist. I have never found one for that cheep, and the ones I have found were over 1000 miles away, and they wanted close to 2000 for it. This is where its better for me to buy new. You guys may say to keep looking but you also don't live in North Dakota. I need to use the rear of my Jeep in the winter too and its to hard to work around that soft top rear window. I need a hard top and I need one in about 4 weeks. I don't have time to keep looking.

scotiez

http://stcloud.craigslist.org/pts/4668962215.html
That one is in Albany, MN 230 miles from Grand Forks.

http://masoncity.craigslist.org/pts/4656507542.html
This one is in Rudd, IA 471 miles from Grand Forks. Yes is says no back glass, but that isnt to expensive.

Factory tops are and will be better (least for hard tops). You say, you need in 4 weeks. I would get the first one and offer the 1000 bucks and drive there after work one day.

Those are for the unlimited 4 door model. I have a 2 door. I can find tons for the 4 door but not for the 2 door.

scotiez

well after a year of searching Craigs list and Ebay I have given up on looking for a hard top for a ( 2 door JK) The links you guys have showed me are all for 4 doors and yeah I can find those easy but not for the 2 door. The only 2 door hard tops are over 1000 miles a way from me. I had borrowed money from the bank and was going to order OEM, went to the dealer ship and it is over 8 weeks out before I could get one. Winter would have been half over by the time I would have received it. Plus when I asked them if everything was included they said yes but when I was going to order they said I needed the harness which was another $200.00. I took the Chance on www.bulldawg.com and ordered aftermarket. They immediately put this into production and I had this top in under 2 weeks at my door and on my jeep. This is a 1 piece hardtop, not a 3 piece like the freedom top. The 1 piece is what I preferred anyway. This top fits perfectly and very well made, very solid and really really quiet. Probably built better then OEM. For living in North Dakota this is exactly what I need and wanted. It was also $1000.00 cheaper then OEM, I didn't have to pay for taxes or installation, did it myself and it was easy. Thought I would post this in case someone else is tired of trying to find a hard top to fit a 2 door JK. I have also searched other brands of aftermarkets but read user complaints and decided Bulldawg was a better option for me. I think I was right.
IMG_7519 by scotiez, on Flickr

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
looks good! sucks you couldnt find a used oem one for cheaper but this seems like it was still a good find

scotiez

Thanks, I did a lot of research before I bought this one. After getting it though I am really glad I choose this one. They really do know how to make a quality product. As for finding one used, I think its impossible in the North Dakota or Minnesota area. To far north and people just want to hang on to there hard tops. The only ones I have found were for the 4 door unlimited and that doesn't do me any good here.

Top Bottom