1st post ... be kind :)

kdude

I'm riding a JK 2 door sport 3.8. Gas mileage is not great so i decided to remove the 17" rear tire to remove dead weight. I drive mostly in a big city and 20% long distance.

The question is ... how many of you guys gotten flats while riding on slab and city? I haven't gotten a flat in more than a decade until i bought a 911 with sport tires , thats a different story. The jeep tires are really beefy and i have a lot of confidence.

So did i make a mistake ? How many have you had a flat tire on a Jeep riding on slab ?

Done .. first post done :brows:

Sharkey

Word Ninja
Welcome to Wayalife. Personally, I won't run a vehicle without a spare. You never know when you might get a flat that can't be repaired, especially in the winter when big rigs and other vehicles lose chain links on the road.

LKWJeeper

Does it really save that much gas? It's really all about how you drive. Drive like a grandma and you're going to save on gas.

catahoula

Caught the Bug
I'm with Sharkey. I do not understand people who do not. I even hate the donut spare and purchased another full tire size and put it in my wifey's car. Yes I've had sidewall damage and flats to much to go without.

CharlieK

I love the look of that clean tail gate, but not for me I carry a full size spare. It's a hell of an extra expensive but well worth it, don't wanna be that guy stuck waiting on help.

JamesWyatt

Average time between flats is 9 years according to Consumer Reports. I have a vehicle that came with run flats and no spare from the factory, and I don't like the idea.

At least get a good tire plug kit and small compressor. If you're playing the odds, odds are it will be a simple nail or screw.

But if the only reason is to save gas, that's a dumb reason because it's going to save you what, ten cents on every tank?

jeeeep

Hooked
I'm riding a JK 2 door sport 3.8. Gas mileage is not great so i decided to remove the 17" rear tire to remove dead weight. I drive mostly in a big city and 20% long distance.

The question is ... how many of you guys gotten flats while riding on slab and city? I haven't gotten a flat in more than a decade until i bought a 911 with sport tires , thats a different story. The jeep tires are really beefy and i have a lot of confidence.

So did i make a mistake ? How many have you had a flat tire on a Jeep riding on slab ?

Done .. first post done :brows:

I wouldn't run without a spare or plug kit and air pump. I've run over nails, screws etc even when pulling into parking garages but that's due to all the construction that's always in progress around here.

I've had to use the plug kit in a parking garage more than once but haven't had a flat to the point I've needed to use the spare.

If the low tire warning light comes on I will pull over and check the tires. Guess a stronger sidewall is a nice thing about larger tires.

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
The wife's 2014 Chevy Malibu didn't even come with a spare. It has a small air compressor (that doesn't work worth a crap) with fix a flat in it. If you can't air it back up and it seals with the fix a flat then you are lucky enough to now have to call AAA. Another reason I hate cars. Guess its fine for the ladies out there but when your grandfather teaches you how to change a flat and you have a thing for trying to change it as fast as possible like the Duke boys, it's comforting to have a full size matching spare. My fastest time is about seven minutes on the jeep, and that included using the factory jack and putting everything back up.

JKWrang

For your reference the miles per gallon effect of weight on your vehicle is roughly 1 mpg per 200 pound . So the spare saves you nothing

Sent from my SM-P905V using WAYALIFE mobile app

2013CGJKU

For your reference the miles per gallon effect of weight on your vehicle is roughly 1 mpg per 200 pound . So the spare saves you nothing

Sent from my SM-P905V using WAYALIFE mobile app

Is it really that much? That's surprising! Not that I'm going to ditch my spare... but just a surprising fact!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using WAYALIFE mobile app

JKWrang

Is it really that much? That's surprising! Not that I'm going to ditch my spare... but just a surprising fact!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using WAYALIFE mobile app

Its vehicle dependent. 200 lbs can reduce it up to 4% so In a JK that 1MPG figure is probablt more like .4mpg but yes, that much!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Armydog

Shit, drop the spare and pull out the seats your not using....no sense pulling the extra weight

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app.......

HILLZ

Take off the roof and windscreen too, the decrease in drag and weight would have to be worth at least another couple of mpg's. :cheesy: :thinking: :cheesy: :thumb:

Oh and welcome to the forum :standing wave:

Last edited:

JKWrang

Fwiw I think the box shape screws all calculations for improved mileage on a JK. We are doomed :( hahaha

Sent from my SCH-I545 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Skirmish

I'm pretty sure the most useless weight in my rig is the spare tire I carry under my t-shirt. Still, it is negligible compared to what my right foot is doing. Put the spare back on and baby the throttle.

Last edited:

kdude

You guys made my morning. Had a good laugh over a cup of java reading the replies. I know i found a good place to hang. The spare is going back where it belongs , my right foot is going to learn the word gentle, and overdrive "be on " like almost forever ..... :thumb:

KingCopperhead

Wow. No more passengers in my jeep. And I'm going on a diet. Pretty sure my 250 lb ass is contributing to my piss poor gas mileage lmao.

Skirmish

I did everything I could to prepare for better gas mileage before leaving for Moab and still got miserable results all kidding aside. I got an oil change, cleaned injectors, replaced the air filter and fixed an exhaust leak. Didn't matter at 85 mph, I was at around 15 mph with a 3.6.

Sent from my HTC One using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom