Lights flickering!

TMO84

LOSER
Hi all,
First off, want to say thanks in advance if anyone can help me diagnose this little but frustrating problem.

Here's the deal. Bought a new 2013 Wrangler JK sport a year ago. I've had zero issues with this vehicle but what seems to be an electrical issue. For starters, I've searched this forum and others for similar issues but came up empty. I've also brought it to the dealer where they stated "no codes come up so it can't be major"...

Here's the problem. When the Jeep is on (idling or driving) the instrument cluster lights flicker, the radio display flickers. The interior dome lights also flicker. On the exterior, the headlights, fogs, etc. also flicker.

The flicker is constant - meaning the lights flicker at the same rate/speed at which the engine is running, so its almost like a quick pulsating. It's incredibly noticeable at night (and annoying driving on a dark road with your headlights flickering) and a bit tough to see during the day (obviously).

To me, it seems like a bad electrical ground but not sure what would impact the entire lighting system. Battery terminals look fine - I mean, it is brand new. Any thoughts/ideas on what could be causing this harmless but annoying flicker? Dealership said alternator draw and battery all looked normal. I know I'm not going crazy...flicker is more prominent when the tires are stuck or sliding in snow or mud, causing me to rev and step on the gas more...

Thanks again,
Tim

noroad

sounds like the main ground is lose to me(check both ends and the clamps)! i would check that out.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
The large ground lead that attaches to your battery uses a tapered nut that when tightened applies more clamping force on the post. If you've installed any additional connections to this stud, the tapered nut will not be able to do it's job. Even if you don't have anything on here, the nut can sometimes come loose. In any case, a loose connection here will cause what you are seeing.

jeff_in_rc

Follow the ground wire from the battery to where ever it goes and make sure it is tight, not by looks but by using a socket or a wrench. If it were me I would check everything under the hood power related to make sure the connections are tight. Beside you will learn a few thing along the way huh?

Let us know what you find.

Top Bottom