JK vs. TJ

Jeepin4life

So I've owned a few different kinds of jeeps CJs YJs & TJs currently I have a WJ but I'm looking to trade my GTI in because I'm ready for another wrangler but I'm torn between trying a JK or sticking with my TJs I'm just a huge fan of the 4.0L so I'm reaching out to some JK owners seeing what they think and if there are any horror stories out there
Thanks

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
So I've owned a few different kinds of jeeps CJs YJs & TJs currently I have a WJ but I'm looking to trade my GTI in because I'm ready for another wrangler but I'm torn between trying a JK or sticking with my TJs I'm just a huge fan of the 4.0L so I'm reaching out to some JK owners seeing what they think and if there are any horror stories out there
Thanks

Coming from a guy who's owned and wheeled both, there simply is no comparison. A JK will spank a TJ any day of the week. A 2012 or newer with a 3.6L motor will spank a 4.0L any day of the week and, this is coming from a guy who LOVED his TJ and misses it.

xrocknrollx

Coming from a guy who just sold his tj and bought a 14 jk, it is well worth it. I had the tj for 9 years and it never let me down, I still miss it. The 4.0 is an excellent engine and had a better torque range than the 3.6 but I prefer the 3.6.

I can now go 80mph on the highway driving into a 40mph headwind while the tj would be in 3rd and floored going 67mph in the same situation. I do live in Wyoming where the speed limit is 80 and 40-50 mile per hour winds are common.

Of course it is my opinion but the 3.6 is great. Yes sometimes I feel like I want the 02 tj back, but more often than not I know that the jkur is a better fit for where I am in life.

MarkW13

No comparison. I have a yj and a jk. My buddies have tj's and cj's. The jk is a nice ride. The 3.6 is way better than the 3.8 the jk first came out with. Honestly horsepower isn't the answer to everything. It usually just leads to broken parts. My 2013 jkur is really torqy partly because of the engine, but first gear is 4.46 to one. Add the 4 to 1 tc and the factory 4.10 axles you won't need much HP or torque to get the thing moving. I bet you could use it to plow a field. Don't get stuck on the 4.0 motor the jk is a way better ride.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using WAYALIFE mobile app

David1tontj

I think it depends how much you plan to modify it.

I think that if you are talking about a mostly stock platform, then Eddie is right- the jk is great, and comes from the factory better than any other jeep before it.

However- I don't think that is true about heavily modified rigs. At some point, all rigs are about equal. When it has the same axles, same tires, roughly the same wheel base with the two doors, (lots of people stretch tjs too), and roughly the same weight- it's capability is probably about the same and just falls to the guy behind the wheel. They just look slightly different, and cost different amounts.

If you plan to completely build it, then I don't think there is much of a difference other than looks and of coarse, the heavily sought after 4 doors, but if you only plan to mildly modify it, and are looking for factory performance, then the jk Is the way to go.

shadow21

I think it depends how much you plan to modify it.

I think that if you are talking about a mostly stock platform, then Eddie is right- the jk is great, and comes from the factory better than any other jeep before it.

However- I don't think that is true about heavily modified rigs. At some point, all rigs are about equal. When it has the same axles, same tires, roughly the same wheel base with the two doors, (lots of people stretch tjs too), and roughly the same weight- it's capability is probably about the same and just falls to the guy behind the wheel. They just look slightly different, and cost different amounts.

If you plan to completely build it, then I don't think there is much of a difference other than looks and of coarse, the heavily sought after 4 doors, but if you only plan to mildly modify it, and are looking for factory performance, then the jk Is the way to go.

I know you have a TJ and its a awesome rig no doubt. I think in all honesty it comes down to the basics. Even if both vehicles are heavily modded there is one thing the TJ lacks in comparison to the JK... SPACE. I personally feel that I could pack well over double the amount of stuff into my JK as I could my TJ. The final thing I'd say is the JK rides 1000% better than any TJ ever built.

David1tontj

I know you have a TJ and its a awesome rig no doubt. I think in all honesty it comes down to the basics. Even if both vehicles are heavily modded there is one thing the TJ lacks in comparison to the JK... SPACE. I personally feel that I could pack well over double the amount of stuff into my JK as I could my TJ. The final thing I'd say is the JK rides 1000% better than any TJ ever built.

And I won't even argue that. I want a 4 door for that very reason. And I understand the ride quality, cabin comfort, etc.

All I was saying is that if you modify something to the extreme point- Long arm, axles, tires, gears, lockers, t-case, armor, and even motor or Coilovers- you can hardly say it will perform any different than a similar build that simply has a different body on it. It is no longer a stock jeep at that point, and most heavily built rigs end up essentially being about the same.

So- it all depends on what your plan is for rig, and also how much money you have. A Tj would need a lot of work to compare to a jk, and a jk would need a lot of work to compare to a heavily built Tj.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Sorry David, I really do love TJ's and LJ's and hope to have one again someday but as much as you can build one of them up, a JK can still be built up more and better if only because it has a much stiffer and longer frame to work with. I mean, I get what you're saying and to a degree, there is a point where you can make them about equal but even at that, it takes a lot less to get a JK to that point and a lot less to make it better. Of course, that's just my opinion.

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
Sorry David, I really do love TJ's and LJ's and hope to have one again someday but as much as you can build one of them up, a JK can still be built up more and better if only because it has a much stiffer and longer frame to work with. I mean, I get what you're saying and to a degree, there is a point where you can make them about equal but even at that, it takes a lot less to get a JK to that point and a lot less to make it better. Of course, that's just my opinion.

I completely agree. We had a stretched TJ at Fulltraction in 37's. It wheeled awesome and rode really nice. However my two door jk on 37's could out wheel it easily. Night and day difference.

Not to mention the cost of building a TJ was 3x's what my JK had in it.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I completely agree. We had a stretched TJ at Fulltraction in 37's. It wheeled awesome and rode really nice. However my two door jk on 37's could out wheel it easily. Night and day difference.

That's just the thing isn't it. Sure, you can comp cut and stretch a TJ to get it to perform about as good as a 3" lifted 2-door JK with 37's running short arms but of course, the cost to build up a JK will still be a lot less. And, one of the reasons why I still don't have a TJ is because they've retained their value so much that I just couldn't see myself investing that kind of money in one when I could just as easily get a used 2-door JK and go from there.

shadow21

That's just the thing isn't it. Sure, you can comp cut and stretch a TJ to get it to perform about as good as a 3" lifted 2-door JK with 37's running short arms but of course, the cost to build up a JK will still be a lot less. And, one of the reasons why I still don't have a TJ is because they've retained their value so much that I just couldn't see myself investing that kind of money in one when I could just as easily get a used 2-door JK and go from there.

I agree with you but I honestly hate the 2-door JK. I couldn't get rid of my 2-door for a 4-door fast enough. Personally while I know the limitations of the TJ/LJ with a basic lift kit I would rather spend my money on a vehicle that will hold its value and that is not something a 2-door jk does. Now if we are talking 4-door jk compared to a LJ/TJ give me the Jk hands down.

David1tontj

I agree with you but I honestly hate the 2-door JK. I couldn't get rid of my 2-door for a 4-door fast enough. Personally while I know the limitations of the TJ/LJ with a basic lift kit I would rather spend my money on a vehicle that will hold its value and that is not something a 2-door jk does. Now if we are talking 4-door jk compared to a LJ/TJ give me the Jk hands down.

Ok ok, I get it now. But maybe you guys could come and show me firsthand. 😁😁

I have now lowered the requirements for jks 😁
http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=20995

Armydog

Had CJs back when I was a kid. Have a TJ now. Would choose another TJ over a JK every single time. I like the relative simplicity over the more complex JK. Wheel speed sensors, "canbus" electrical system, power windows?????? WTFO? That's not a jeep......

My step son has a '10 JKUR. Nice ride, nice truck..... but still not my opinion of a jeep.

No disrespect, and no challenge made to any of the purely awesome rigs you JK guys have. I guess I'm old school. As soon as I retire, I'm gonna find a CJ5 and build the shit out of it.....

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app.......

Armydog

Oh yeah, and I carry a 1911. Call me old fashioned, I dare you.

JKWrang

Oh yeah, and I carry a 1911. Call me old fashioned, I dare you.

I love the 1911. It hasnt changed one bit in 103 years for a reason

Sent from my SCH-I545 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Armydog

I love the 1911. It hasnt changed one bit in 103 years for a reason

Sent from my SCH-I545 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Yup. Single action. Cocked and locked. Makes the new-age, loafer wearing politically correct pansies nervous as hell. But it works. Plain and simple. Draw, drop, squeeze. 230 grain of +P black talons and "good night Irene".

Top Bottom