tires

jman_12

So I've had my 33 inch KM2's for around 5 1/2 months and I love them. But sometime next summer I'd love to go 35s or even 37s. plan on getting a 2.5 inch RC lift for xmas, and was wondering, how much of a domino effect of upgrades would 37s have? I have a Dana 30 front, but would be open to building it (truss, sleeves, Chromalloy shafts, ball joints, etc.) Also have a 2012, so power loss wont be a huge issue...

Save you cash for a PR44 and not waste your time on the D30. Your weakest link is the Ring and Pinion. Go with 35's and when they wear then go with 37's and a PR44. Also check out the EVO Enforcer as a lift option.

Sent from my fRuit product using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
It really all depends on how you use your Jeep. Being that you're in the south, you can get away with a lot more but honestly, I wouldn't throw any more money at your factory front axle then is needed. At most, I would install c-guests and maybe tack weld your bearing caps. With 37's, you'll want to regear which is a pity to even throw money at that but, if you do, I wouldn't go any higher than 4.88 as the pinion will get way small in a Dana 30. If anything, I would just play with what you got and for as long as you can until you can save up enough for a ProRock 44. But, that's just me.

BumpStick

I'm sitting with a similar build. I'm on 33 Irok's and love them. I'm wanting to move to 35s maybe 37s in the future. I have done my home work and talked to many people with various setups and what they wheel. In the south there are people running JK s on 40s with the D30 and it is surviving. But those people are not locked and don't wheel very hard mainly hitting mud.

With 37s or larger you will want PR44 or equivalent. If you sleeve and gusset the D30 you can wheel 35s with piece of mind.

I noticed you didn't mention what gears you have. If you have. I find myself using 4 low and wishing I had lower gears. So what I'm doing in perpetration of 35s is putting Detroit lockers front and rear with 4.56s and sleeving and gussets on the inner C's. I will run stock shafts till they break.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Easy on the skinny pedal, drive smart, and that 30 will surprise you how long it can hold up, even on 37s.

All I can say is that we all have a different idea of what "wheeling hard" really is and how often is "often". I know guys like you will say that I'm just to heavy on the skinny pedal and you can believe that if it helps you to sleep better at night but, I've been able to trash factory 44's running 37's and in no time at all.

Agree! You could easily get over 100k without issues, and not even need to carry spare parts....so long as you bipass all trails :rock:

View attachment 106546

No way man, that rig is hooked up and ready for the Rubicon :thumb: :crazyeyes: :cheesy:

All I can say is that we all have a different idea of what "wheeling hard" really is and how often is "often". I know guys like you will say that I'm just to heavy on the skinny pedal and you can believe that if it helps you to sleep better at night but, I've been able to trash factory 44's running 37's and in no time at all.

And I've trashed a factory 44 in no time on 33s! I'm sure you've seen it done too.

I never said anything about wheeling hard or often. Not everyone wheels it hard, but you don't have to stay on the pavement with 37s and a 30 as suggested above either!

JK LYF

I just put 37s on. I have a D30 with 3.73 gears and no lift, 2dr auto. I do not plan on taking it out on anything crazy until after I get a new front axle (Prob January). I'm not even going to waste my time with the D30 (I feel pretty confident I will break something with the 30!).

My opinion only (and it's worth about 2 pennies) save for what u want, ultimately. I wouldn't buy 35s knowing I want 37s, and I wouldn't beef up a D30 if I ended up with 37s. I'd save to get something stronger and run the D30 until then.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
And I've trashed a factory 44 in no time on 33s! I'm sure you've seen it done too.

I never said anything about wheeling hard or often. Not everyone wheels it hard, but you don't have to stay on the pavement with 37s and a 30 as suggested above either!

Ummm, like I said earlier on this thread, it all depends on how you use your Jeep. Of course, you're the expert here :naw:

StrizzyChris

My opinion only (and it's worth about 2 pennies) save for what u want, ultimately. I wouldn't buy 35s knowing I want 37s, and I wouldn't beef up a D30 if I ended up with 37s. I'd save to get something stronger and run the D30 until then.

....and this is ultimately the advice to live by.

Every person who advises to run 37's on a D30(EDIT:with proper gears installed) and you'll be fine is rediculous and no one here will help propogate that terrible advice. If you are fully aware that a D30 will go out on you at any moment, you dont invest on anything other than gussets on a D30, and you are only running it until you have saved up for a better axle IF/WHEN it goes out on you, then that's fine.

If you only plan on driving across a field, pasture, etc. then yeah, you'll probably not have too many issues with a D30 and 37's. When you "wheel hard" it wont last long (and no most wont consider a pasture wheeling hard).

Last edited:

BumpStick

My 2cents are based on what I'm doing for me. Where I am there is no need for 37s or larger, it's Florida. I do plan on some rocks and harder trails but not much for the foreseeable future. My Jeep is a 3rd vehicle, DD is my Harley and I have a Dodge Ram too. So if I break and am down it's no big deal since I go about 2wks between times I drive it. Once I get tired of 35s and want more I'm going to have an extra income and be wanting to go street legal trail rig.

StrizzyChris

Since you(bump) have a '12 with the 3.6L, a D30 with 35's will not be of too much concern for you. I say that because the true NEED to re-gear lower (higher gear number) isnt as immportant with the added torque and HP over the 3.8L. Assuming that you stay at a reasonable/safe gearing(no lower than 4.56), and even better if you stay open in the front.

All of this as long as you dont invest in a locker, chromo shafts, sleeves, etc. By the time you add all of that, labor, and gears...then the expense for a PR44 wouldnt have been much more and would have been exponentially stronger.

Ummm, like I said earlier on this thread, it all depends on how you use your Jeep. Of course, you're the expert here :naw:

So because I don't bow down to the words you've typed you feel the need to resort to sarcasm?

I wasn't disagreeing with what you previously had posted but it appears you have the need to act like a 3 year old since I don't take everything you say as gospel from the one and only Jeep god!

I'm just saying the 30, though it has its definite weaknesses , can last a bit with care. I know you've seen that too, as well as plenty of broken 30s along the way. And that doesn't mean never taking it off road either. Just like you certainly can't disagree with me on the 44 comment I made above either but apparently feel the need to be argumentative with me.

Now, before everyone starts the feeding frenzy and screaming at me to go back where I came from, and then accuses me of being a troll since it will appear as though I dropped this and ran, I will be without internet access for a bit so won't be around, so don't get your panties in a wad if I don't respond in a timely manner.

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
So because I don't bow down to the words you've typed you feel the need to resort to sarcasm?

I wasn't disagreeing with what you previously had posted but it appears you have the need to act like a 3 year old since I don't take everything you say as gospel from the one and only Jeep god!

I'm just saying the 30, though it has its definite weaknesses , can last a bit with care. I know you've seen that too, as well as plenty of broken 30s along the way. And that doesn't mean never taking it off road either. Just like you certainly can't disagree with me on the 44 comment I made above either but apparently feel the need to be argumentative with me.

Now, before everyone starts the feeding frenzy and screaming at me to go back where I came from, and then accuses me of being a troll since it will appear as though I dropped this and ran, I will be without internet access for a bit so won't be around, so don't get your panties in a wad if I don't respond in a timely manner.

Ok, can you notify us when you have internet access again? Don't you have a smart phone? Or still using a flip phone?

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

Funny, don't know too many 3 year olds that even know what the word sarcasm is let alone knows how to do it well but, most do know how to throw a tantrum over a whole lot of nothing.

Never said that you were disagreeing with me and if you took the time to read what I had said instead of getting all butthurt, you would know that I had already stated essentially what you were saying back on post #3. Even a 3 year old could do that if they tried.

To be honest, I don't know you from Adam and don't have a clue as to what you have or haven't seen. The only thing I know is that you can type words on an internet forum. But, that's a moot point. As I had to the OP right from the get go, "I would just play with what you got and for as long as you can until you can save up enough for a ProRock 44." Of course, you're more than welcome to gloss over that again just so you can get all butthurt and shoot your mouth off some more. :yup:

How about you just leave and not come back. I know it's hard to believe but, nobody will miss you. Just sayin.

Greenenvy how about doing us all a favor and start reading from the beginning and see if you can tell where the shift in attitude was. Who initiated it?

As far your profile goes, finish filling it out. It does not take that long and beleive it or not it will tell us a little more about you.

Again this is just a suggestion.

R/
Canvas

Sent from my fRuit product using WAYALIFE mobile app

Ok, can you notify us when you have internet access again? Don't you have a smart phone? Or still using a flip phone?

Yes I have a smart phone though in the event you were unaware, there are places that poeple go to from time to time that are without internet or cellular service. Sometimes we go there by choice and other times it is for work. You should try it some time.

Some people don't live to argue with people on forums, we actually have lives dealing with things like cancer , death ...so please excuse him if he don't spend every minute on here trying to defend himself he may have bigger issues at hand!

Thank you.

A voice of reason like this appears to be quite rare here.

Top Bottom