Engine bogs at 40 and 50mph

jeep08

My 08JK bogs down around 40-50mph i have spectre cai and dua tip cat back exhaust. Tried putting oem intake back on to see if it would go away but it didnt.. Also added a throttle body spacer hoping it would help but it didnt make any difference either. Do u guys think i may need whole exhaust upgrade to flow better out?

shadow21

My 08JK bogs down around 40-50mph i have spectre cai and dua tip cat back exhaust. Tried putting oem intake back on to see if it would go away but it didnt.. Also added a throttle body spacer hoping it would help but it didnt make any difference either. Do u guys think i may need whole exhaust upgrade to flow better out?

Do you have a tuner on it? If so reset it to stock the reload the map. Also does it make a sound when it bogs down?

jeep08

I have superchips flashpaq.. I had to turn rev limiter to its max that helped but not much. Im new to learning wat all the flashpaq does n not sure if ineed to start moving shift points or wat?.. I hav 33's as well n programmed speedo accordingly for tire size.. It just wants to bog down between 30-40 and 50-55mph no noise u can just feel it slowly getting sluggish then all a sudden it will gun back up n level out mainly on slight inclines. Im a newbie jeeper so any tips r greatly appreciated!

shadow21

I have superchips flashpaq.. I had to turn rev limiter to its max that helped but not much. Im new to learning wat all the flashpaq does n not sure if ineed to start moving shift points or wat?.. I hav 33's as well n programmed speedo accordingly for tire size.. It just wants to bog down between 30-40 and 50-55mph no noise u can just feel it slowly getting sluggish then all a sudden it will gun back up n level out mainly on slight inclines. Im a newbie jeeper so any tips r greatly appreciated!

I don't have a Flashpaq but I'd reset then I'd reload. If your ever unsure don't change anything to do with the tuner.

Have you checked to see if you have a vacuum hose un hooked? Or a crack in the air intake or even a hole? If the air intake is not on correctly it could cause the symptoms your explaining.

jeep08

Ok .. Thanks for the tips i'll examine n check hoses n fittings after i get outta work!! Thanks again for the help i'll repost an update..

Do you have an Automatic?

If so check the shift points. Sounds like your transmission is not shifting right. Also when was the last time you did a transmission service?

Sent from my fRuit product using WAYALIFE mobile app

Rebel JK

One of my former vehicles had similiar symptoms and had a clogged cat. As the debri inside moved around it would clear up and then again re clog.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
As mentioned, it sounds like to me like your shift points are off. If you are running new gears and/or bigger tires, you need to make sure you measure your tires correctly and not just go off what's written on the sidewalls and calibrate your speedometer to it.

Sharkey

Word Ninja
Seems like maybe you have figured this out the hard (expensive) way, but the CAI, cat back and throttle body spacer aren't giving you any real performance gain. Unless you are doing it just for the sound, I'd get rid of all three.

Stegertime

Caught the Bug
Any engine codes popping up on this? I had similar issues but had a check engine light come on and it turned out to be torque converter, dealer replaced FOC

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Seems like maybe you have figured this out the hard (expensive) way, but the CAI, cat back and throttle body spacer aren't giving you any real performance gain. Unless you are doing it just for the sound, I'd get rid of all three.

OUCH!! :cheesy:

Unfortunately, the truth does hurt and this is all true. Maybe if you added headers as well, that would allow for a clean flow all the way through and would help performance but, without it, you'll still be limited. Throttle body spacers are snake oil.

Sharkey

Word Ninja
Throttle body spacers are snake oil.

But, but, but...it's from a Viper so it must be fast, right?;)

The snake oil comment is perfect, and I truly feel bad for everyone that gets suckered into going this route. I had a pretty good discussion with one of my local dealership's salesman a few years ago about CAI's. He unequivocally told me that my Rubicon would see a 30-40% horsepower and torque gain if I had the dealership install a CAI. Apparently, my resulting uncontrolled laughing was not the response he expected. :cheesy:

jeep08

Ok so it was the shift schedule.. My Superchips tuner was programmed on superchips setting turned it to stock n everything seems good now! Also double checked measured tires to tire size and axle ratio.. 1st test drive seemed all as well but only bout a mile. Takin 2hr highway trip fri with mild inclines thats wen it bogged most so c how it does!.. O n by the way, for a newbie jeepr lil "snake oil" smears on nicely!. Gota start somewhere!.. Lol😜 ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1414244974.485780.jpg

Sharkey

Word Ninja
Glad to hear you may have worked it out. :beer: The snake oil comments weren't a jab at you. (Most of us have been there with one product or another). It was a jab at the people who sold it to you by convincing you there would be performance gains.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Just to make sure, you measured your tires from the ground to the edge of your tire's shoulder, the point where it turns from the side wall to the tread and NOT the highest point on top of the tread, right? Or, you can measure from the center of your wheel down to the ground and x2. Either will give you what you really need and help ensure your speedo is calibrated correctly.

jeep08

Sure were all probates at som point n life! Lol.. Actually measured em by layin steel ruler on top n from floor up.. But gonna remeasure n recalibrate.. N do som mor research w the tuner.. Thanks guys! Runnin 85% better w the tips!.. I'll keep "probin" N get back w ya'll

Top Bottom