drag link bolt loose

nmwranglerx

Caught the Bug
Anyone got any tips on keeping the drag link bolt tight? A while ago, I noticed my steering had become pretty loose. After a little investigating, I found the bolt was loose at the passenger side knuckle. I tightened it up before going on a road trip this weekend using a torque wrench and the torque setting from ProjectJK :thumb:. A couple hundred miles later, and some mild off-roading and it came loose again. Anyone experienced this issue? I was thinking on trying some loc-tite but if anyone has a suggestion I'm all ears. BTW, I'm running EVO flipped drag link but I don't think that should matter.

RockIt Man

I don't see why you could not use lock tite for the application.

Also, consider swapping on a lock nut. As far as I know there are two types, one with nylon and one without. The latter being the one that should last longer.

Those two things should make a difference.

Thoughts from others?...

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
as mentioned, using a stover (a locking nut that pinches the stud using its own steel as opposed to a nylon ring that gets cut into) would help prevent this. I would also double check to see if maybe the TRE stud is pushing through the knuckle so much that the nut isn't allowed to tighten down as much as it can. if it is, adding a washer to help make up the difference will help too.

nmwranglerx

Caught the Bug
thanks for the suggestions fellas. I'll check with the local hardware store for the stover lock nut and give it whirl :yup:

Top Bottom