Curries Johnny Joint Bushing Rebuild

BONDSY

If you have an aftermarket lift kit with adjustable control arms, chance's are great you have Curries Johnny Joints on at least one end. These Joint's are proven tough and durable being among the best on the market. Many companies use these Joint's because of that fact. These Johnny Joints have bushings that do however eventually need to be serviced.
Being the freak that I am about maintaining my JK Wrangler I took some time to change out the bushing on a 2" Johnny Joint and I thought I'd share the process with you.
Here's what I'm working with. Upper Currie Control Arm, frame side.
1595b235.jpg

It's not unusual for dirt and grease to collect, so is good to pull these at least once a year to clean them up. For this, I use WD40 sprayed onto a rag. It does a great job cutting through the collected junk, and it's not a anti grease agent.

Having need to changing a bushing in the past, and after two hours, failing horribly using the socket/vise approach I finally gave up. Little did I know the local shop charged me $20 bucks to change it out.
Doing some research I quickly found out, not only does Currie make a outstanding product, they also provide means for the DIY customer to change these for themselves.
I purchased the 2" and the 2.5" tool to do these myself. Here's the 2" tool:
11c6ad7d.jpg

Setting it up in the vise:
d21105d0.jpg

The way the tool works is by compressing the bushing enabling easy removal of the retainer clip. So inserting the all thread through the bolt hole and placing the compressing nut on the other side, begin tightening.
d8b2da05.jpg

As you can see in the prior pic and the next one, you need to compress the bushing by tightening the nut with a wrench, loosening just enough to have access to the clip.
a5440d29.jpg

With proper snap ring pliers, collapse the clip take it out. It should come out unhindered.
c0b00207.jpg

A pic of the retainer clip:
baaa88e7.jpg

Once the clip is remove flip the Joint over and remove the internals in the same direction from which the clip was removed. It may take some convincing. A socket and a dead blow hammer worked for me.
b24cea21.jpg

Here is what the insides of the Johnny Joint looks like:
1aca7610.jpg

It goes without saying, clean things up, inspect the ball, clean the barrel and the groove where the clip sits.
63c27712.jpg

These are the new bushings we are replacing the old ones with.
83af43ff.jpg

If you notice, these are grooved to mate together. It is very important they are mated during install.
Install is simply reversing these steps. A few notes and I do apologize for not getting pics but my hands were covered with grease at this point.:crazyeyes:
A few pointers though,

First, be sure to clean everything well. washers, clip, ball, and barrel including the hole through it.
Second, It would be prudent of you to lube the barrel, ball, and bushing with fresh grease as you piece it together.
Third, remember the order in which the pieces came out.
Washer, bushing half, ball, second bushing half, second washer, clip, is the right order of install.
Fourth, clean the groove before reinstalling the clip.
Fifth, grease the Joint once it's installed back on the JK. Be sure not to over grease the Joint.

These are pics of the old bushing.
A little wear, but not excessive:
447055a0.jpg

797e4139.jpg

And you can see how they mate together:
4faa7f69.jpg

I sure do hope this helps you out. It is cost effective to have these tools made by Currie not only to save you labor costs, but to help out a fellow Jeeper.
I ran these bushings for just under 20,000 miles with some serious wheeling.
The bushing are about $10 bucks.
I am a freak about preventive maintenance, so I am more apt to chance these out before there time.

Pics aren't the best, they are from my Iphone.

Good luck, and keep your balls lubed, and you nuts torqued.:thumbsup:

http://www.currieenterprises.com/cestore/jk.aspx

Attachments

• 100_1295.jpg
    100_1295.jpg
    128.2 KB · Views: 10
  • Logandale 14.jpg
    Logandale 14.jpg
    215.7 KB · Views: 5
  • Logandale 13.jpg
    Logandale 13.jpg
    204 KB · Views: 5
  • Fordyce 08 09.jpg
    Fordyce 08 09.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 10
  • Fordyce 08 09 1.jpg
    Fordyce 08 09 1.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 7
  • Moab Jeep 003.jpg
    Moab Jeep 003.jpg
    143.9 KB · Views: 6
  • 100_1293.jpg
    100_1293.jpg
    155 KB · Views: 7
  • Logandale 11.jpg
    Logandale 11.jpg
    230.4 KB · Views: 8

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
awesome and thorough write-up tom! :thumb:

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1369300516.941557.jpg
    ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1369300516.941557.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 10
  • ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1369300484.939061.jpg
    ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1369300484.939061.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 12
  • ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1369300126.354188.jpg
    ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1369300126.354188.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 3

Indefatigable

One does not need to use a hammer to get the pieces out of the sleeve. The install tool also presses the pieces out.

How much grease do you normally pump into them? I ask as it looks like the one you have pics of, the bushing was pushed out between the ball and washer. I pumped a couple times too much and caused premateur failure on two as the pressure from the grease pushed the bushing out...

JJs just work.

that is all.

Last edited:

BONDSY

One does not need to use a hammer to get the pieces out of the sleeve. The install tool also presses the pieces out.

How much grease do you normally pump into them? I ask as it looks like the one you have pics of, the bushing was pushed out between the ball and washer. I pumped a couple times too much and caused premateur failure on two as the pressure from the grease pushed the bushing out...

JJs just work.

that is all.

Is that what that collar is for? Looking at the tool now you have helped me see that. Thanks. I update the write up when I change the next ones.
As far as grease goes, I cover everything as I press the bushings in, then give the joint one pump when it's full installed. I give it a shot of grease every couple thousand miles or after a few trips of hard wheeling.

Last edited:

Indefatigable

Yes, that is what the collar is for. The instructions show what way to put it as its tapered and fits differently on the ribs on the base. It also helps with install.

One must not force grease into a JJ, especially when they are new as you can end up deforming the bushing and in some cases start to push it past the washer. Thus resulting in premateur wear/failure.

Attachments

• image-4077948648.jpg
    image-4077948648.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 105
  • image-2121439037.jpg
    image-2121439037.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 111

StrizzyChris

Yes, that is what the collar is for. The instructions show what way to put it as its tapered and fits differently on the ribs on the base. It also helps with install.

One must not force grease into a JJ, especially when they are new as you can end up deforming the bushing and in some cases start to push it past the washer. Thus resulting in premateur wear/failure.

Reading this makes one feel as tho thou art in mid-evil England :big_boss: ....haha just bustin balls, but good info about the JJ

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
For those of you that haven't seen this, take a look! It helped me figure some things out that I wasn't sure about.

wetfootnw

Thanks for the write-up Bondsy. I found this a few weeks ago and ordered a rebuild kit and tool. Today it took a couple hours to get a lower front arm pulled, joint rebuilt and arm reinstalled.

Top Bottom