Regear Questions

NAUJK

So I have been looking around and cant find anything... Most questions are like what about mpg and rpm and stuff I dont care about.

I want to know what happens and what I should know after I get it done.I know there was a break in period and what not but how long and is there anything else I should know before I do it? Any help would be wonderful thanks everyone!

StrizzyChris

Even between pro installers, there will be varriations in recommendations. Most will agree that you should not run high RPMs until you have at least 500 miles on the gears.

Some recommend Driving the vehicle at around 2k to 2500 rpms for 30 minutes and then park the vehicle for 30 minutes to cool the gears back down. Then drive for about an hour and repeat the 30 min off to cool. then drive for 500 miles and keep below 3k rpms. After the 500 or 1k miles, you will take off the diff cover, spray the gears down with brake cleaner (some oppose this, I do not), let it drain and dry for about 45 min and then inspect the gears for abnormal wear. If all is good at that point then re-fill and giver her hell Herman!

Tigrcky

Even between pro installers, there will be varriations in recommendations. Most will agree that you should not run high RPMs until you have at least 500 miles on the gears.

Some recommend Driving the vehicle at around 2k to 2500 rpms for 30 minutes and then park the vehicle for 30 minutes to cool the gears back down. Then drive for about an hour and repeat the 30 min off to cool. then drive for 500 miles and keep below 3k rpms. After the 500 or 1k miles, you will take off the diff cover, spray the gears down with brake cleaner (some oppose this, I do not), let it drain and dry for about 45 min and then inspect the gears for abnormal wear. If all is good at that point then re-fill and giver her hell Herman!

^^^^^^ this ase certified I agree

Sent from my whatchamacallit

NAUJK

Thanks Strizzy! That is exactly what I was looking for. If I do a regear i dont think ill be able to take my rig on the next club run on the 22nd of November. hmmmm

jeeeep

Hooked
So I have been looking around and cant find anything... Most questions are like what about mpg and rpm and stuff I dont care about.

I want to know what happens and what I should know after I get it done.I know there was a break in period and what not but how long and is there anything else I should know before I do it? Any help would be wonderful thanks everyone!

look up randy's ring and pinion, they have a great FAQ and calculators

JK12

Thanks Strizzy! That is exactly what I was looking for. If I do a regear i dont think ill be able to take my rig on the next club run on the 22nd of November. hmmmm

You have to! Just drive it a lot I'm sure you can get those miles in before

NAUJK

So I have another question about regearing my rear axle....

So I have a limited slip rear diff when I regear up to 4.88 from 3.2 will I lose the limited slip? And do I have to buy a new carrier for them for the shop to install? Just trying to make sure I got everything I needed.

RockyJk

So I have another question about regearing my rear axle....

So I have a limited slip rear diff when I regear up to 4.88 from 3.2 will I lose the limited slip? And do I have to buy a new carrier for them for the shop to install? Just trying to make sure I got everything I needed.

With 3.21's You will need a new carrier for 4.88 don't know about the limited slip that's a good question lol

NAUJK

With 3.21's You will need a new carrier for 4.88 don't know about the limited slip that's a good question lol

Yeah so when I ordered the stuff from Northridge I asked if it was everything a shop needed to regear the rear to 4.88 and they said yeah soo im hoping they were right cus if not Ill have to take my axle to Phoenix to get regeared and thats quite the drive...

Tigrcky

Yeah so when I ordered the stuff from Northridge I asked if it was everything a shop needed to regear the rear to 4.88 and they said yeah soo im hoping they were right cus if not Ill have to take my axle to Phoenix to get regeared and thats quite the drive...

I'd be willing to bet your existing limited slip carrier will not work. Wish I chimed in sooner... Been going coast to coast. Sorry bud

Edit the carrier break is 3.21-3.73, 3.92-5.89

Last edited:

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
if you can afford it you should just add a locker in the rear to match the front in your new 44. the locker will act as your carrier.

NAUJK

According to Northridge. No I will not need a new carrier. So ill run the lsd for a while till I can recover from buying a prorock.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Tigrcky

According to Northridge. No I will not need a new carrier. So ill run the lsd for a while till I can recover from buying a prorock.

I'm not inclined to agree... I would be prepared to get another carrier. The ratio break has to do with the ring gear placement in relation to the pinon gear the lower the ratio the smaller the pinon gear the more offset the carrier needs to be... This applies to all types of carriers. I would call and double check.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door

I'm not inclined to agree... I would be prepared to get another carrier. The ratio break has to do with the ring gear placement in relation to the pinon gear the lower the ratio the smaller the pinon gear the more offset the carrier needs to be... This applies to all types of carriers. I would call and double check.

im with Tig on this one. if you had 3.73 gears you wouldnt need a new carrier but since you have 3.21's you will absolutly need a new one.

Top Bottom