Advics on how this is happening?

HLKSMSH

So two weeks ago I finished the evo bolt on long arm upgrade and now my back passenger side tire is getting a crazy wear pattern. I have never seen this before any help on would to do would be nice. this is on the axle side. 10635707_10152857951522958_5876504883629934722_n.jpg

HLKSMSH

forgot the bottom of the tread that hits the road is fine but the side of the lugs is getting chewed up as you can see in the pics.

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
I don't know, but I can throw some questions at you. Are your arms set correctly? One side shorter? Tires balanced?

HLKSMSH

That was the first thing I looked at was the arm length all good then checked the wheels and no weights have came off.

HLKSMSH

I guess I could take a pencil and check if its bent rite hold it in one spot and turn the axle to see if it moves in or out rite?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I am not sure if its bent I have not been off road since the upgrade so I hoe its not that. How would I check to see if it is bent?

If it's bent a lot, you should be able to see it as your rotor moves in and out between your brake pads. Otherwise, you'd have to jack up your rear axle, removing your wheel, caliper and rotor and then use a dial indicator on the flange. I could be wrong but, being that this is a rear axle, it'd be my best guess.

HLKSMSH

If it's bent a lot, you should be able to see it as your rotor moves in and out between your brake pads. Otherwise, you'd have to jack up your rear axle, removing your wheel, caliper and rotor and then use a dial indicator on the flange. I could be wrong but, being that this is a rear axle, it'd be my best guess.

Thanks man I will go back out in a few and check I will let you guys know the outcome later.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks man I will go back out in a few and check I will let you guys know the outcome later.

You know, if this were on a front axle, I would say that you either have a bent C, bad ball joint, bad unit bearing or bent housing. Being that this is a rear axle - if it's not your flange, I'd be hard not to think that maybe your rear axle is bent a bit. I've run the ProComps you have in the past and found the rubber to be really sticky on the rocks but because of it, tended to chunk and wear out really fast. The rubber was just too soft. Whatever problem you have is just showing itself a lot faster on your tires because of it.

HLKSMSH

Yea these tires have about 4K miles on them and if I didnt get such a good deal on them I would not have got them. I am just at a loss at how this could happen in two weeks.

HLKSMSH

Yup looks shitty with the caliper turning so it is bent my question is about a week ago I had to lock up the breaks since some ass hat ran a red light. Do you think I could have bent the rotor or is it the axle?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Yup looks shitty with the caliper turning so it is bent my question is about a week ago I had to lock up the breaks since some ass hat ran a red light. Do you think I could have bent the rotor or is it the axle?

Hard to say for sure. Could just be a warped rotor but, if you want to know for sure, you can always pull it off and just check the flange.

JKWrang

Hard to say for sure. Could just be a warped rotor but, if you want to know for sure, you can always pull it off and just check the flange.

Question: if its not the flange would the rotor be warped if he removed the rotor?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Any vibes ? My passenger rear flange has .040 of runout. I feel it but tire looks fine. That tire must be bouncing while scuffing down the road
Wondering if a balance issue along with bent flange would cause this ?

I'm curious, when you installed the arms, did you verify your pinion angle?
Just a guess but I'm thinking either the housing itself or a bent flange prior to the install and during install your pinion angle changed just enough to rotate the angle of the bend.

HLKSMSH

So to update you guys I finally got around to working on the jeep. I stopped by Autozone today and picked up a new Rotor 39.99. About 15 min of work and the new one was on put it in drive and about 90% of the wobble is gone I think its good now. After closer inspection both sides have a small amount of wobble like the rotors are bent I dont know if this is natural or not? One is new and one is stock I dont think I have any major issues that I need to tend to till the axle fails completely and I get to put in a new PR60.

jeeeep

Hooked
So to update you guys I finally got around to working on the jeep. I stopped by Autozone today and picked up a new Rotor 39.99. About 15 min of work and the new one was on put it in drive and about 90% of the wobble is gone I think its good now. After closer inspection both sides have a small amount of wobble like the rotors are bent I dont know if this is natural or not? One is new and one is stock I dont think I have any major issues that I need to tend to till the axle fails completely and I get to put in a new PR60.

I have a 2010 and have no wobble when I spin the wheels - I just replaced my ABS lines so I checked my rotors while I was at it.

you should check your stock rotor to see if it's warped, did you check your bearing hubs? are they spinning true?

Top Bottom