Dana 44 issue

jkpete

So I went out wheeling out in st George this past weekend. On the way home from rock crawling I felt a slight vibration at around 30mph and then it would go away and come back at about 65. I was such a slight vibration that I didn't think much of it. The next day we went out wheeling again. It was more of a scenic drive around the back side of Zion national park. The vibration when I got back on the pavement was way worse. So when we pulled off for dinner I got out and crawled under the jeep and discovered the diff housing had spun on the axle tubes to about a 50 degree angle. It looks like the rosette welds broke that holds them together. I pulled the rear drive shaft and drove it back to st George. Anyone ever heard or seen this before?

So I went out wheeling out in st George this past weekend. On the way home from rock crawling I felt a slight vibration at around 30mph and then it would go away and come back at about 65. I was such a slight vibration that I didn't think much of it. The next day we went out wheeling again. It was more of a scenic drive around the back side of Zion national park. The vibration when I got back on the pavement was way worse. So when we pulled off for dinner I got out and crawled under the jeep and discovered the diff housing had spun on the axle tubes to about a 50 degree angle. It looks like the rosette welds broke that holds them together. I pulled the rear drive shaft and drove it back to st George. Anyone ever heard or seen this before?

Yes there is a thread concerning this very issue and here is the link http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?19002-Rear-D44-mishap&highlight=rosette+welds

R/
Will

sjd78

So should one weld the tubes all the way around where they enter the center section or just go over the existing rosette welds?

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
So should one weld the tubes all the way around where they enter the center section or just go over the existing rosette welds?

Good question, but that's past my knowledge. I'm sure there's a reason they don't from the factory.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Good question, but that's past my knowledge. I'm sure there's a reason they don't from the factory.

i remeber seeing the quality of the rosset welds changing in the 13+ models. maybe that really makes all the difference in the world and thos being touched up will strengthen it enough. :idontknow:

bkac

Caught the Bug
There's also a trick to welding it because the metals aren't the same. The housing is cast and the tubes are steel, they cool at different speeds. You need to heat the cast before starting to weld or the welds will just crack.

Sent from my VS980 4G using WAYALIFE mobile app

MarkW13

Welding cast to steel is best done with an old fashioned stick welder. Use nickel based rods. I welded up an 8.8 ford before I put it in my yj. It appears I need to weld up my jkur d44 before this happens. Pre-heat the area near the weld with a torch. I believe about 450 degrees. Use a laser heat gun to check for temp (harbor freight sells them cheap). Weld it up and wrap the weld in a welding blanket. Allow to cool for 24 hours.

It's way easier to weld with the axle out of the vehicle. I haven't had any problems with mine. Oh, don't forget to prep the surface with a wire wheel to remove paint and debris.

I hope that helps.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom