What Upgrade? Long Arm or Chromoly Shafts?

CJW

I've been wanting to upgrade my suspension with a long arm kit (thinking Full Traction) but was also wanting to upgrade my D44s with chromoly shafts. What's everyone's opinion on what to do first?

Reasoning: I was wanting chromoly shafts for strength and reliability and long arms for better road comfort.

Some background: I wheel in Colorado and like trails like Holy Cross and Wheeler Lake. I'm not at a level to hit the hardest obstacles yet but do like trying bigger boulders every time out. I also use this as my daily driver and commute about 95 miles total a day for work. With that commute I do value a good/soft/smooth ride.

Opinions/Advice?????

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
With 4.5" of lift (what your profile says so i hope its right) i would do long arms. they will greatly improve your on road handling and help return your steering geometry back to stock. as i mentioned in the other thread i would only get new shafts if the stock one break. or a cheaper option is to get stock ones off of craigslist for cheap.

CJW

Cozdude! You're on top of it man! Again... Thanks for the reply!
My profile is up to date for everyone to know.
I have the 4.5 AEV lift and even with a steel quarter pounder and warn Zeon it actually sits at 5.5 inches of lift when measured at the spring bucket and mount. Was thinking of a spring swap with long arms if that's the route I'm going.
Everyone else agree that long arms the route to go?
Was looking at full traction. Heard they (at least used to be) were very "squeaky". Truth or just internet BS?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
There's a BIG price difference between a long arm kit and chromo shafts. Having said that, long arms will help correct your suspension geometry and by virtue of it, will help make your on pavement ride nicer. If it were me, I would hold off on chromo shafts until I needed them and then, even at that, I would just get standard chromo shafts with full circle clips and NOT something like RCV's. That alone will save you about $400.

CJW

There's a BIG price difference between a long arm kit and chromo shafts. Having said that, long arms will help correct your suspension geometry and by virtue of it, will help make your on pavement ride nicer. If it were me, I would hold off on chromo shafts until I needed them and then, even at that, I would just get standard chromo shafts with full circle clips and NOT something like RCV's. That alone will save you about $400.

Thanks for the reply wayalife! I understand the price difference between these and was wondering what should be next. I also like saving money so thanks about the RCV $ info! :)
Thanks for the help! Question though: I know you have used full tractions stuff so; do you have any complaints about their stuff squeaking? Their long arm upgrade is a good amount less than EVOs so I was considering it. I've heard they fixed the noise problem and if so I think I'll use them. If not, I'll go with the EVO arms. Or do you think evo's long arm is that much better to justify the price difference?
Thanks again for the info/help!!!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for the reply wayalife! I understand the price difference between these and was wondering what should be next. I also like saving money so thanks about the RCV $ info! :)
Thanks for the help! Question though: I know you have used full tractions stuff so; do you have any complaints about their stuff squeaking? Their long arm upgrade is a good amount less than EVOs so I was considering it. I've heard they fixed the noise problem and if so I think I'll use them. If not, I'll go with the EVO arms. Or do you think evo's long arm is that much better to justify the price difference?

Actually, the FT kit is really nice now that they've switched out the frame side bushings with Clevite bushings. So long as you stick with standard coils and shocks, this will be a great kit for you. The main reason for running the EVO long arms is if you are running their coil overs as they will offer a long more flex. This will cause Clevite bushings to blow prematurely and that's why the EVO arms comes with Johnny Joints on both ends.

Regarding chromo axle shafts, what brand do you guys recommend?

Pretty much anything out there is fine so long as they come with full circle clips. If you want made in the USA, the gold G2 shafts that are made by Foote Axle will be what you want.

CJW

Thanks Wayalife! I plan on sticking with traditional coils and shocks. For longevities sake, would you recommend either FT or EVO for my set up or are they equal since I'm not going with coilovers?

piginajeep

The Original Smartass

As wayalife mentioned, it's now a really nice kit. The noise issue was virtually gone. IMO it's one of the nicer kits on the market.

I would buy the Evo first for a couple reasons.
1. They have superior customer service
2. You can replace the joints easier than the clevites. Johnny joints will last longer.
3. It's built for extreme flex
4. You will not find a better tested kit on the market.
5. Better ground clearance.

Both are built in the USA

CJW

As wayalife mentioned, it's now a really nice kit. The noise issue was virtually gone. IMO it's one of the nicer kits on the market.

I would buy the Evo first for a couple reasons.
1. They have superior customer service
2. You can replace the joints easier than the clevites. Johnny joints will last longer.
3. It's built for extreme flex
4. You will not find a better tested kit on the market.
5. Better ground clearance.

Both are built in the USA

Those are good reasons. Thank you for the input piginajeep! I guess it may be worth it to save up longer for the EVOs then. After all it will be something I don't want to have to re-do ever! I have some thinking to do!
Thanks!

CJW

For those of you with the Evo arms, how much road vibration do you get? Being that there aren't any bushings to absorb it.

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
For those of you with the Evo arms, how much road vibration do you get? Being that there aren't any bushings to absorb it.

They do have a bushing to absorb it, not to mention the jk body mounts take it as well. It's a none issue to consider IMO. Sounds like you read a bullshit sales pitch somewhere...

I switched from the Fulltraction kit (clevites at the frame) to EVO's. I didn't notice a difference

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
What Chris said. Unlike the old TJ's, YJ's and CJ's before that essentially had rubber hockey pucks for body mounts, the JK's come with true body mounts that are isolators. They do a great job of absorbing road noise and I think you'll find they alone do a great job. Also, Johnny joints aren't exactly metal to metal joints like uniballs and they do absorb energy as well.

CJW

Thanks piginajeep and wayalife for the info! I was just curious as to the differences. Thanks again for the insight!

jesse3638

Hooked
I'm currently running FT's 3" LA kit (2012+ edition) and have zero complaints. Chris actually showed me a side by side comparison of the old brackets and new brackets, they are night and day. I feel it drives better than stock. I can only compare this to the stock suspension as this is the only lift I've ran. I'm also currently running coil and shock so we'll see how it performs when I go to coil overs. As mentioned if the clevites aren't performing well I'll swap the lower arms for EVO's. Also I did the install myself in my garage with jacks and stands. A lift would have been nice but it was still a lot of fun. You'll be satisfied with either of your choices.

1414536480934.jpg
1414536512813.jpg
1414536561616.jpg
Sent from my 831C using WAYALIFE mobile app

I have the Currie adj arms with the johnny joints, but not the long arms. Im not noticing any rougher ride or vibrations than when it was stock, so as far as arms, be they long or standard length, if they have johnny joints,. I dont think your going to notice any difference in vibes felt thru the Jeep.

CJW

I'm currently running FT's 3" LA kit (2012+ edition) and have zero complaints. Chris actually showed me a side by side comparison of the old brackets and new brackets, they are night and day. I feel it drives better than stock. I can only compare this to the stock suspension as this is the only lift I've ran. I'm also currently running coil and shock so we'll see how it performs when I go to coil overs. As mentioned if the clevites aren't performing well I'll swap the lower arms for EVO's. Also I did the install myself in my garage with jacks and stands. A lift would have been nice but it was still a lot of fun. You'll be satisfied with either of your choices.

View attachment 107066
View attachment 107067
View attachment 107068
Sent from my 831C using WAYALIFE mobile app

Thanks for the input! I will be installing it myself also. Glad to hear how you did it and that it's very doable on jack stands.

CJW

I have the Currie adj arms with the johnny joints, but not the long arms. Im not noticing any rougher ride or vibrations than when it was stock, so as far as arms, be they long or standard length, if they have johnny joints,. I dont think your going to notice any difference in vibes felt thru the Jeep.

Thanks for the input! These are making me more and more comfortable with this type of set up.

Top Bottom