The 2017 Jeep JL Wrangler WILL Have IFS / Solid Rear Axle - So Say the Experts

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
For those of you guys who don't know, Bob Sheaves was a lead engineer at the Jeep/Truck Engineering's PreProgram and worked there until 1993. During that time, he developed one of the first independent front suspension systems intended for a Wrangler. When asked by AllPar what his thoughts were in regards to what the all new 2017 Jeep Wrangler would have for suspension, this is what he had to say...

2018 Jeep Wrangler in depth : Suspension choices
by Robert W. Sheaves

2017-jeep-wrangler.jpg

Allpar’s owner, David Zatz, asked what approach Jeep is likely to take with the “independent suspension” Wrangler for the 2017 model year. This article is based on my engineering evaluation of various public sources, plus private discussions.

Will it really have an independent suspension?

The short answer: Yes, I believe it will have a front independent suspension, adapted from the Ram 4x4, with a live rear axle.

Why not Li’l Blue (patent diagrams above and right), which can exceed the capability of current Wrangler designs (due to the floating differential and long-travel design)? The current staff is not capable of tuning and adapting it, and lack the technical expertice to further develop it. There is no incentive for me to give away my own two generations of independent development beyond the original, and they have not got enough money to get Evan Boberg or me back to work on it. It does have a lot of advantages at minimal cost.

I expect a live axle in the rear, since it does not steer. It is cheaper to change the tubes and axle shafts than the front, with the steering issues.

An independent suspension has indirect aerodynamic benefits. One of the most turbulent area on any Wrangler or CJ has always been the gap between the fender leading edge and bumper on either side and the gap between the radiator shell and bumper, creating a swirling mass of air trapped in and around the sheet metal, causing unstable drag. Jack has closed the gaps and improved the airflow by around 10%.

Using a body mounted drive axle would also allow an overall lowering of the body, relative to the ground, for further improvements.

Narrowing the body reduces the “hole” the car has to punch through at speed, further improving the aerodynamics. The cost to narrow a live axle exceeds the cost to narrow an independent suspension, due to retooling the axle tubes, axle shafts, and steering geometry changes for the knuckles.

It would cost less to provide a front suspension and live axle link coil suspension to narrow the track, pulling the tires inside the new narrower body footprint and narrowing the fenders to lower the drag and increasing highway fuel economy.

An independent suspension would also:
•Reduce unsprung weight, helping on-road handling.
•Letting wheels react independently, so that one wheel hitting an obstacle does not affect both sides (one cause of wheel shimmy, or “the death wobble”). ◦This would also keep all four of the wheels on the ground, in most on-road and most off-road driving (within the limits of suspension travel) situations, increasing stability and control.

•Independent suspensions can generally be built as a unit and shipped to the factory, speeding installation and sometimes cutting costs.​

Disadvantages include higher cost, more difficulty in increasing vertical wheel travel, reduced ground clearance when rebounding from a bump, and the difficulty of increasing ground clearance. Owners who want to modify their vehicles will find the price and/or engineering challenge to be much higher.

Looking at the Jeep Commander vs the Ram, both used a similar front suspension, but with different ball joints, slightly longer upper and lower control arms on the Jeep, different tuning, different frame attachments (changing basic geometry), and different shocks and attachments.

To sum up, I can see the changes to be:
•4 inches narrower (track width and fender change)
•1.5 inch lower body (suspension up inside the body but the same overall height)
•A 15% fuel economy improvement highway​

Read the whole article here:
http://www.allpar.com/SUVs/jeep/wrangler/future/suspension.html

trailless

Caught the Bug
The diagrams were pretty interesting to look at. I'm assuming "Li'l Blue" will be what modded IFS Wranglers look like and to the left of it you'll have the rat rod Wranglers. ;)

JK_Dave

Caught the Bug
I know I'm responding to an old thread, but since I didn't see any others specifically about the JL's axles, I figured I'd put this here.

This quote came from a new JL "parts and specs" page that Quadratec started. I'll post the quote here, but the reference can be found here.

Like we mentioned before, the 2018 Jeep Wrangler will continue using the long-standing front and rear floating solid axles, but will apparently incorporate technology from Fiat Chrysler’s former Ferrari brand to make up a stronger new Dana axle with a larger 12-bolt bolt pattern, just with smaller/lighter housings and assembly. With the exception of a few early 2007 Wranglers, Jeep has used a Dana 30 front, Dana 44 combination in most of its vehicles (Dana 44 front and back in higher end versions) but with the new set-up Jeep is hoping to pull off a major upgrade for fuel economy and off-road performance alike.

Not sure what I think about a stronger 12-bolt axle assembly that also is smaller and lighter, but I just can't see losing mass in the housing and still being able to take abuse on the trail. Anyone think I'm completely off there?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I know I'm responding to an old thread, but since I didn't see any others specifically about the JL's axles, I figured I'd put this here.

This quote came from a new JL "parts and specs" page that Quadratec started. I'll post the quote here, but the reference can be found here.

Like we mentioned before, the 2018 Jeep Wrangler will continue using the long-standing front and rear floating solid axles, but will apparently incorporate technology from Fiat Chrysler’s former Ferrari brand to make up a stronger new Dana axle with a larger 12-bolt bolt pattern, just with smaller/lighter housings and assembly. With the exception of a few early 2007 Wranglers, Jeep has used a Dana 30 front, Dana 44 combination in most of its vehicles (Dana 44 front and back in higher end versions) but with the new set-up Jeep is hoping to pull off a major upgrade for fuel economy and off-road performance alike.

Not sure what I think about a stronger 12-bolt axle assembly that also is smaller and lighter, but I just can't see losing mass in the housing and still being able to take abuse on the trail. Anyone think I'm completely off there?

FCA has been doing what they can to lighten up the Wrangler being that it's such a pig. A lot of weight can be saved in the axles and I would imagine that this is why they'd be playing around with something like this. If I could guess, it'll probably be offered with the turbo 4-banger.

fiend

Caught the Bug
I would think they could make an aluminum axle that would save a bunch of weight. Maybe too expensive though.

A main driver of car design these days is fuel economy. So I would expect to see a more aerodynamic body, more use of plastics and aluminum to save weight, and more efficient engines (e.g. Turbo 4 cylinders, etc).

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I would think they could make an aluminum axle that would save a bunch of weight. Maybe too expensive though.

A main driver of car design these days is fuel economy. So I would expect to see a more aerodynamic body, more use of plastics and aluminum to save weight, and more efficient engines (e.g. Turbo 4 cylinders, etc).

Aluminum axle like the one Dynatrac released at the 2014 SEMA Show? :D

attachment.php

https://wayalife.com/showthread.php/21658-2014-SEMA-Dynatrac-AAM-Revolutionary-NEW-Aluminum-Axles

I think FCA is doing all the above and would probably guess it'd be way too expensive to make everything aluminum as I know they wanted to.

XJADDICTION

Banned
I talked to the local dealer sales person and he thought a JL was an upgraded option for the 2018 JK. They, the dealers locally, have NO clue about the Jeep Wrangler JL 2018 model. All I know from a friend who is trying to find a 2017 JK HR stick shift is that he can only find a black recon 200 miles away and the dealers wont ship any Rubicon or Sahara inventory. So he has to go get it... if it's still there. My local dealership has the JK Chief... what the hell is that? I'm sorry but that's an ugly beast. They have one base Rubicon, no Sahara's, and a bunch of sport models. They also have that Rocky Ridge BS with 3:73's on 37's sport model I think 24s, for $50G's!

So does anyone know if they will sell the "classic JK" as a 2018 model? When will the 2018 JL be available?

I can't believe a dealership that has had such huge success selling JK's wouldn't want to know what the next wrangler was going to be, and when available.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

wanderer

look AROUND

DENNIS DILLION in Idaho was selling recon at 13.6% off widow sticker about 6k off he of course sold out some others are still selling cheap I was going to buy but hadn't sold my jiu yet so I am going to wait and choose between the JL and the JKU

Top Bottom