Rear axle

Jeeper Jr.

The difference has to do with how the load is supported. In a semifloat, the axle shaft bears the weight along with the axle housing. In full float axle, the load is carried totally by the housing. This is why you can pull and replace a full float axle shaft without removing the wheel or jacking up the vehicle. You can also visually tell the difference as full floats will have a hub at the ends.
To answer your question, full float axle is stronger than the corresponding semifloat axle.
Sent from my SCH-I545 using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
What he said. A semi-float axle will have a shaft that is responsible for propelling your Jeep AND for holding up the weight of it. A full-float axle will have a shaft that is only responsible for propelling your Jeep - the weight is all held up by your axle housing. The later is MUCH stronger.

Sithwindu

What he said. A semi-float axle will have a shaft that is responsible for propelling your Jeep AND for holding up the weight of it. A full-float axle will have a shaft that is only responsible for propelling your Jeep - the weight is all held up by your axle housing. The later is MUCH stronger.

Why is that boggling my brain? Lol no sleep is killing me!

SaddleTramp

This one has a few years on it but same principle, just add a few horses, a little color and some dynatrac diff covers...

Gadget

Caught the Bug
So if I buy a new rear I want a full floater(there is a joke in that statement somewhere) ? Do front axles come the same way, full and semi?

Jeeper Jr.

So if I buy a new rear I want a full floater(there is a joke in that statement somewhere) ? Do front axles come the same way, full and semi?

Front axles are full float by design. So no, they don't come as full/semi.
And yes, you want a full float but I haven't heard too much about them on the forum. Everyone seems fine with PR60s. Eddie is the only one I know off who has one. I figure they are pretty expensive.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
As mentioned, I run full float rear axles on my JK's but for MOST people, a semi-float rear ProRock or even Trail 60 will be all that you need. I would strongly recommend a full-float IF you are running a v8 and/or 40" tires.

H8ROADS

Caught the Bug
1) That video was fantastic..love those old school vids.

2) Am I the only one who thought at the end...damn, I want a 1936 Chevy Truck!?

I have a prorock 60 semi float and will be going 40's in a couple months. We will see how it holds up.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
So for mild to moderate wheeling a semi-float with 37's behind a v6 would be just fine?

Are we talking about a factory Dana 44 or a ProRock 60? If the later, yes, you will be fine with semi-float shafts. If you are talking about a factory Dana 44, it all depends on how hard and how often you really wheel your Jeep.

Top Bottom