Odd wire...??

Rocfrog

Ok so I'm a new JKU owner as of last week, we bought an '08. And I was poking around under the hood last night and I saw a grey wire that was zip tied to the wire loom against the fire wall and then bundled up on the driver side and not connected to anything. Thought this was odd so I followed it across the fire wall and then it goes down right next to the battery and into a "heat sleeve" under the Jeep and then disappears behind the gas tank skid. What is this wire for? It seems like it was something aftermarket but I'm unsure....

Here's some pics I took of it....

f4519eb407b27dee26d48018b4b76cf9.jpg

ce1bb97b3e53064e0f1f397a923777f4.jpg

901fa5739e517f9e75199d48436f3ef9.jpg

53df66d9185889ebb936cafcfe6c59bf.jpg

3b2bd01b73da2666ad2a809b8dd380d5.jpg

5fdb87cb0de06049111da3e7c1b8e4c5.jpg

Nick

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dont know about the wire probably something aftermarket that was removed... but damn how do you get the engine so clean on that thing

Serg5000

I have an 08 and it does not sport that grey wire. As mentioned it must be an after market application that was removed. If it does not connect to any thing, I would remove it completely.

CZEBJKU

Looks like an after market add. If it's not bothering anything I would leave it for future mods. Have you given the end at the gas tank a tug to see if it is connected?

Sent from my SM-N900V using WAYALIFE mobile app

Rocfrog

Looks like an after market add. If it's not bothering anything I would leave it for future mods. Have you given the end at the gas tank a tug to see if it is connected?

I have not pulled on the wire yet, didn't want to yank on it and mess up a sensor or something.

Nick

Rocfrog

dont know about the wire probably something aftermarket that was removed... but damn how do you get the engine so clean on that thing

Haha, I don't know it came that way! The whole Jeep is super clean for it being an '08

84a713bf7ffa31d73b9512fd2b02487a.jpg

Nick

Last edited:

Knuckles76

First off nice looking rig... Second I would leave it, as already stated it would be nice to have wires already in place for any future mods.

It ain't no fun if it ain't dirty! !

dannymalkin

I would guess it powered some back up lights or other random thing and they were too lazy to remove it completely...

gtony12

Caught the Bug
Nice Jeep! It could be a power wire for a small trailer, tent trailer etc to charge battery. If your trailer connector is not a 7 pin connector on back. Thats what I may think. but something diff. after market.:idontknow:

Rocfrog

You guys keep saying it a "power wire" for something but that's part of my confusion.....it doesn't connect to the battery, just goes by it. It is coiled up and "terminated" just above the brake booster.

Nice Jeep! It could be a power wire for a small trailer, tent trailer etc to charge battery. If your trailer connector is not a 7 pin connector on back. Thats what I may think. but something diff. after market.:idontknow:

I do not have the flat 4 trailer hook up, it's either a 6 or a 7 pin haven't looked yet to verify.

And thanks for all the complements! I think we did pretty good for our first Jeep purchase.

Nick

Last edited:

CZEBJKU

I have not pulled on the wire yet, didn't want to yank on it and mess up a sensor or something.

Nick

If it is not connected at one end it is not a sensor wire or you would have some type of warning light or a failure of some kind. Because it is in a thermo jacket I seriously doubt that it is a factory wire. If you have a multimeter you can check the disconnected end by the firewall to ground for an open or closed circuit. Hope this helps. Nice looking Jeep!

Rocfrog

Ok so I was up at the shop today so we took a look at the wire and looks like it is hooked up to the trailer wiring harness, so we think it is some sort of brake controller wire or something.

Nick

Rocfrog

Ya kind of makes me feel better, I also think that the wires and plug that are kind of laying by the battery go to it as well. So I plan on digging around under the dash and see if I see any other remnants of a brake controller. It's kind of nice to have there because that means I won't have to run them when I install one for my trailer!

Nick

Top Bottom