Max speeds in 4hi?

Knuckles76

I'm fairly new to 4x4s and was wondering what the max speed should be in 4hi and i guess while i'm at it 4low as well?
I've checked the internet and found a lot of different (I think responses) Any help is appreciated!

It ain't no fun if it ain't dirty! !

I'm fairly new to 4x4s and was wondering what the max speed should be in 4hi and i guess while i'm at it 4low as well?
I've checked the internet and found a lot of different (I think responses) Any help is appreciated!

I am not sure but Mel goes pretty fast in 4hi. For me I do not go over 40 but then again if I can go that fast I can probably do it in 2wd.

Sent from my fRuit product using WAYALIFE mobile app

Tigrcky

You drive train can handle any speed however like canvas said unless your desert racing there is no need for above 40 if you have a front selectable locker in the front I do not advise faster then 25 while locked!!! You won't turn.

Sent from my whatchamacallit

trailless

Caught the Bug
I remember reading that you can safely switch in and out of 4hi and 2hi up to 55mph.

I'm curious to know if there is a max speed for 4hi as well. I wouldn't think there is but I've been wrong plenty of times before.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:

Knuckles76

My wife will be driving it often this winter and you can't explain the different feels of your rig unless you drive it often so i'm just trying to give her a number to not exceed.

Thanks for input gentlemen.

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
IMHO, (and this is for ON road)...if you can do 50mph, you don't need 4WD. I run 4hi on the road when conditions are really sketchy, and slip is almost guaranteed, so I generally don't go above 35mph. If I can go faster, it either means I don't need 4hi or I am going too fast for conditions. Oddly enough, during sh!t weather, most of the crashed vehicles are 4wd/awd, usually SUV's, because their drivers think they are invincible.

Mike_D

The manual will list max speeds if there are any. For what it's worth, I ran my truck up to near 60 in low range at the sand dunes and nothing fell off. :lol:

jeeeep

Hooked
well, last EJS I was hitting 80 on the pavement in 4-hi, not on purpose, just forgot to take it out of 4-hi ran that way for at lease 30 miles, wheeled the next 2 days and drove home 1200+ miles never an issue but I wouldn't do it on a daily basis.

I usually keep it under 60 offroad

for winter driving one thing to remember in 4 wheel drive, slower is better. 4 wheel isn't always the best option as it can make a slide worse.

I'd recommend finding a nice large parking lot to get used to the feel of 4 hi in emergency stopping

Last edited:

Mike_D

I'm browsing on my phone and I forgot which site I was on so I felt I should add more details so no one is confused-

My last post is in reference to my 2011 Silverado which is likely geared quite a bit higher than most Jeeps, even in low range. I did that at the Silver Lake sand dunes a couple summers ago and that speed was only for a few seconds as there isn't much space where a stock suspension can manage those speeds there. I'd have to imagine a Wrangler would be a handful in a similar situation. If all goes well early next year I should have one so hopefully I'll get back out there and see how a Wrangler does.

ssgp2

2012-Wrangler-OM-3rd. page 394
Shift Positions
For additional information on the appropriate use of each
transfer case mode position, see the information below:
2H Position
This range is used for normal street and highway driving
on hard-surfaced roads.
4H Position
This range locks the front and rear driveshafts together,
forcing the front and rear wheels to rotate at the same
speed. This range (4H) provides additional traction for
loose, slippery road surfaces and should not be used on
dry pavement.

The “4WD Indicator Light” (located in the instrument
cluster) will illuminate when the transfer case is shifted
into the 4H position.
N (Neutral) Position
This range disengages the front and rear driveshafts from
the powertrain. It is to be used for flat towing behind
another vehicle. Refer to “Recreational Towing” in “Starting
and Operating” for further information.
4L Position
This range locks the front and rear driveshafts together,
forcing the front and rear wheels to rotate at the samespeed. This range (4L) provides additional traction and maximum pulling power for loose, slippery road surfaces
only. Do not exceed 25 mph (40 km/h)
The “4WD Indicator Light” (located in the instrument
cluster) will illuminate when the transfer case is shifted
into the 4L position.
NOTE: When in 4WD, the “ESC Off

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
The short answer is that you "can" run 4WD HI at any speed. As mentioned, if you are on dry pavement and can drive over 50 MPH, you really should just be in 2WD. Having said that, when driving off road really really fast, 4WD HI will give you better handling in the turns. :yup:

jeeeep

Hooked
drive as fast as you like, if you see a wheel/tire pass you by, you have probably exceeded it's limit :crazyeyes:

CedarRaider

Just make sure you don't slam it in 4 while the rear wheels are spinning on ice or snow. It will make some bad noises.

Best thing to remember is just 4 wheel drive doesnt mean 4 wheel stop. for the ones in the snow, i know i have driven vehicles in the snow in 4hi at 55-60 and was fine. stopping is always the issue.

Top Bottom