GAME CHANGER - Israeli Inventor Izhar Gafni Makes the Worlds First Cardboard Bicycle

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Just read about this today and am amazed by it - check it out...

2012-10-15T094659Z_386135042_GM1E8AF1D5S01_RTRMADP_3_ISRAE  L-CARDBOARDBIKE.JPG

MOSHAV AHITUV, Israel (Reuters) - A bicycle made almost entirely of cardboard has the potential to change transportation habits from the world's most congested cities to the poorest reaches of Africa, its Israeli inventor says.

Izhar Gafni, 50, is an expert in designing automated mass-production lines. He is an amateur cycling enthusiast who for years toyed with an idea of making a bicycle from cardboard.

He told Reuters during a recent demonstration that after much trial and error, his latest prototype has now proven itself and mass production will begin in a few months.

"I was always fascinated by applying unconventional technologies to materials and I did this on several occasions. But this was the culmination of a few things that came together. I worked for four years to cancel out the corrugated cardboard's weak structural points," Gafni said...

You can read the whole article here:
http://news.yahoo.com/cardboard-bicycle-change-world-says-israeli-inventor-090732689.html

Above and beyond what Gafni is trying to do, I have to say that I'm most impresed by what he's been able to do with this inexpensive and recyclable material known as cardboard. The fact that it can be to have fireproof qualities and waterproof to the point where you can immerse it in a tank of water for several months and still retain its hardened characteristics is amazing. Of course, what I'm excited about is how this new material might be used in the automotive industry and beyond. In my head, I can already see things some pretty cool things that can be made for our Jeeps.

I just love it when people do things in spite of the fact that everyone tells you that it can't be done. Kudos to you Izhar Gafni :thumb:

10frank9

Web Wheeler
Wow, really cool idea and even cooler design. Most of all thanks Eddie for finding all of these great articles and sharing them with us on this, my favorite forum/ news source ;)

If only I could fabricate a Jeep from cardboard, complete with cardboard coilovers, cardboard long arms and cardboard Dynatrac 60's and sick 40's......

Top Bottom