New G2 Core 44 Rear Axles. DO NOT BUY!!!!

akevinbailey

The other day a bought a new G2 Core 44 rear axle housing for my 2012 Rubicon JKU. I busted my stock Dana 44.

It's a great housing, but has one MAJOR flaw. Only a G2 proprietary diff cove will fit, and this proprietary diff cover has a major design flaw. The oil fill screw is below the fill level for the rear differential!

Worse still is that G2 knew of this obvious design flaw and in their promotion pictures and demos the have a different diff cover. See the pics. The first pic is the promotion picture and the red line is the lubricant fill level. The second pic is what G2 is shipping to customers. Notice the fill hole on the cover is below the required lubricant level!!!!!
G2_JEEP_JK_REAR_CORE_44_SAE_HOUSING_REAR_3.jpg My_G2_Core_44_Rear_Axle.jpg

G2 has said they are aware of the issue and they have no idea when the correct diff covers will be available. It could be six months or more! Until G2 starts shipping the axle housing with the correct diff cover, I would not recommend anyone buy a rear G2 Core 44 axle housing.

Last edited:

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
If you put a jack under the side with the full plug you can fill to the proper level. Not a big deal but I would be a little upset if I was you.

Sharkey

Word Ninja
That is dumb as shit. How did the first one ever leave the prototype much less get put into production.

akevinbailey

You can fill the oil through the locker wiring hole at the top, but how do you check the lubricant level without dumping the oil out??

The diff cover will work on the front axle, just not on the rear. As you can see on G2's website and product information, the rear axle has a properly designed cover, but that is NOT the one they ship with the rear axle. They know the front diff cover will not work in the back but they shipped it anyway. That is what pisses me off!!!!

Also when I called G2, they said, "we know about it, but we don't have any rear diff covers and we don't have any on order. It might be six months. Call back in 30 days." This is classic bait and switch tactics. It is probably against the law in CA. If I don't get the rear cover in 30 days I will most likely demand a complete reimbursement (labor and parts). We will see.

David1tontj

Great idea. I will try it. Thanks.

Yeah, no prob. It really does work well- just hold the z tie on the outside, mark where it needs to be, and mark how far in to push it. It's one of the only ways I know how to check the fork fluid level on my dirt bikes.

Top Bottom