Help with oil change...

trailless

Caught the Bug
I have a 2014 wrangler with the 3.6L

This is going to be the first oil change I've ever done. Eddie made it look so easy that I thought I could do this. Anyways, I followed the guide and bought 5W30 but my oil cap says 5W20.

Did they change something for 2014?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using WAYALIFE mobile app

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer

This is going to be the first oil change I've ever done. Eddie made it look so easy that I thought I could do this. Anyways, I followed the guide and bought 5W30 but my oil cap says 5W20.

Yes the did. I forgot when the switch was made. I think 2014 also the oil filter is different

trailless

Caught the Bug
Yes the did. I forgot when the switch was made. I think 2014 also the oil filter is different

I realized the filter changed as it looks slightly different.

Shoot... I was all excited to do the oil change too. Stupid on my part for not taking the 10 seconds it takes to check. :(

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
I realized the filter changed as it looks slightly different.

Shoot... I was all excited to do the oil change too. Stupid on my part for not taking the 10 seconds it takes to check. :(

Maybe they'll let you exchange it?

JRied

I was told they ran 5w-20 to help with the engine break in and that 5w-30 works fine. You will need a different filter tho or else you will get a high oil pressure warning light

KingCopperhead

They changed to a lighter oil in 2014 to increase mpg slightly to make the gubment happy.

I run the 5w30 oil in my 14 and it's fine. Didn't even notice a difference in mpg. You're fine with the 5w30, it won't hurt your jeep a bit. But if you're worried about your warranty I'd go exchange the oil.

Great to see a fellow Jeeper take on things like oil changes, the self gratification is wicked. You are in good hands on this site.

FYI my 08 called for 5w20 I run 5w30 due to slight oil consumption. But ya you have a 14.

Have fun soon you will be doing dif oil changes too ;)

JLSilerJK

Always check your manual for fluid recommendations. The internet != the manual.

I wasnt sold a manual. When I asked "does this come with a manual?" salesman said "uh huh". I've learned uh huh isnt a yes or even a yea. Thanks H8ROADS! just downloaded it.

I've got my mobil 1 5W-20 (from the costco sale recomendation thread-if you see this, thank you man!) sitting next to me. I'm planning on tackling my first oil change ever on wednesday. OP you helped me realize that I'm gonna inspect everything on tuesday and make sure I'm ready. Best of luck to you on yours:beer:

H8ROADS

Caught the Bug
I wasnt sold a manual. When I asked "does this come with a manual?" salesman said "uh huh". I've learned uh huh isnt a yes or even a yea. Thanks H8ROADS! just downloaded it.

I've got my mobil 1 5W-20 (from the costco sale recomendation thread-if you see this, thank you man!) sitting next to me. I'm planning on tackling my first oil change ever on wednesday. OP you helped me realize that I'm gonna inspect everything on tuesday and make sure I'm ready. Best of luck to you on yours:beer:

If you have any trouble just ask - it's super easy to do... And Yep, all the manuals are online :) if you're the first registered owner they'll mail you a printed copy if you call and ask for free👍

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

JRied

I did my first one on my 2014 and will never pay for another one again. Way easy and gratifying. I ended up going with Mobil 1 Synthetic 5w-30, there oil rated for 15,000 miles. I will NOT wait 15,000 miles but will most likely do my changes every 6,000 now. The 5quart jug was only $3 more then there regular synthetic. 5qts for $28 and then $9.50 for 1 more :(

It is okay to differ slightly on the winter rating 5W to 0W for example but you REALLY shouldn't alter the viscosity (second number).

The viscosity of the oil is selected based on machining tolerances and bearing flotation. A lighter oil will not offer enough flotation and creates (slop). A heavier oil may not properly lubricate everywhere because it is too thick to get into places toleranced for a lighter oil.

The "issues" associated with running improper fluids may not be detected for several thousands of miles, but WILL have an impact on overall engine longevity.

stweasel

It is okay to differ slightly on the winter rating 5W to 0W for example but you REALLY shouldn't alter the viscosity (second number).

The viscosity of the oil is selected based on machining tolerances and bearing flotation. A lighter oil will not offer enough flotation and creates (slop). A heavier oil may not properly lubricate everywhere because it is too thick to get into places toleranced for a lighter oil.

The "issues" associated with running improper fluids may not be detected for several thousands of miles, but WILL have an impact on overall engine longevity.

Agreed, the numbers have to do with viscosity (thickness) of the oil when oil is cold and hot. The thicker the oil at a high temperature will cause your engine to have to pump harder to get sufficient lubrication at higher temps. So if you use a 5w30 when it calls for 5w20 that means you are not getting as much lubrication flowing through your engine when your engine is hot.

JRied

Would it be less of an issue since I live in an area where it's unheard of dropping below 60 degrees on a very cold night (Miami). It's mainly hot all the time where I am. I read that in states where it drops below freezing its more of an issue. I do not know much else tho

Would it be less of an issue since I live in an area where it's unheard of dropping below 60 degrees on a very cold night (Miami). It's mainly hot all the time where I am. I read that in states where it drops below freezing its more of an issue. I do not know much else tho

No, you could get away with a higher winter rating, but not a different viscosity.

JLSilerJK

Thanks Eddie for the writeup; thanks for the info in this thread-wish I could buy someone a :beer:. So my planning ahead failed me. I bought a filter wrench that was a bit too big so I had to go back to the store Wed anyway :dont_tell:

This was one of the easiest things I've done and loved every second of it! Jeep is driving great with mobil 1 - I wonder how long it was in there from previous owner / used car place. How often do you change your full synthetic?

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug

As mentioned, the 2014+ IS different....the oil filter is a new design, it has a little nipple on it. Do not attempt to install a 2013- filter...it will fit, but you will get low oil pressure warnings, etc.

Also, the 2014s have been having problems with the oil coolers cracking, mostly due to people overtightening the nut. Hand snug is good enough. Other than that, follow Eddie's writeup.

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
They changed to a lighter oil in 2014 to increase mpg slightly to make the gubment happy.

I run the 5w30 oil in my 14 and it's fine. Didn't even notice a difference in mpg. You're fine with the 5w30, it won't hurt your jeep a bit. But if you're worried about your warranty I'd go exchange the oil.

I had a 2012 before my 2014...the 12 took 5w30 and the 14 takes 5w20...IMHO, the 2012 ran smoother. I have 5w20 in it now, but will change over to 30 synthetic (have 20 synthetic now) for the next change and see if I can tell a difference. I don't like the fact that they switched. It seems they switched over for gubment reasons at the expense of the engine.

JKWrang

Just remember to replace the o ring in the right spot unlike some other moron i know... :crazyeyes:

Top Bottom