opinions on OLD MAN EMU 2.5

Mitrig

Hey guys so I have been looking at swapping my suspension finally...i initially went with a cheap lift since my stock suspension was gone in every aspect. So i swapped to a rough country 2.5 coils, it was cheap and just what i needed to get enough clearance. I ran the suspension for almost a year now and began to notice i am experiencing some slight sagging in the rear. though after speaking with them over a few months they finally sent me a new set of coils for me to swap out. I have 0 experience with the old man emu suspension for the wrangler. though we have had the suspension on the old land cruiser we had when i was younger, and a few friends of mine have them on their land cruisers. everyones i know has the mid level suspension, personally I loved the ride, it was amazing. Slowly been researching them and trying to find info on them for the wrangler. I know they have 3 grades of lift based around the set up one plans to use.

Id love to buy a set of EMU shocks and coils because i have seen them in action and know they take a beating, all my family in Australia and Venezuela run EMU. Hoping to get some opinions on them for the jk

David1tontj

Hey guys so I have been looking at swapping my suspension finally...i initially went with a cheap lift since my stock suspension was gone in every aspect. So i swapped to a rough country 2.5 coils, it was cheap and just what i needed to get enough clearance. I ran the suspension for almost a year now and began to notice i am experiencing some slight sagging in the rear. though after speaking with them over a few months they finally sent me a new set of coils for me to swap out. I have 0 experience with the old man emu suspension for the wrangler. though we have had the suspension on the old land cruiser we had when i was younger, and a few friends of mine have them on their land cruisers. everyones i know has the mid level suspension, personally I loved the ride, it was amazing. Slowly been researching them and trying to find info on them for the wrangler. I know they have 3 grades of lift based around the set up one plans to use.

Id love to buy a set of EMU shocks and coils because i have seen them in action and know they take a beating, all my family in Australia and Venezuela run EMU. Hoping to get some opinions on them for the jk

I don't even have a jk, but I hear so many great reports of the EVO Plush ride 3" springs, that I am planning them as my first mod whenever I finally get a jk.

And as far as the emu springs- I am in the same boat- I had an fj40 and friends always bragged about their emu springs- I haven't heard much about them being used in jks.

Mitrig

Yea I searched them up but all I could find was info on the 4 inch lift. I was looking to swap the entire suspension over to emu but I don't know anyone currently running such a set up on a rig like mine. Only reason for not going for the 4 inch lift is I can't afford new drive shafts I'd like to use my stock drive shafts as long as possible

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
i know your trying to build your rig into more of an overlanding rig and your on a budget. that being said have you though about a simple 2.5" BB over a full coil lift?

Have you looked at the EVO Enforcer with the Plush Ride Coils? They offer a 3 inch lift. I went from a Pro-Comp 2.5 inch lift to the EVO 3 inch Plush Rides with minimal height gain. Something to think about.

R/
Will

KingCopperhead

I haven't run them on my JK, but I run and old man emu lift with their HD coils, and nitrocharger shocks on my TJ. The HD Springs are pretty stiff, but not uncomfortably so. I've read that their regular Springs are very plush. (I like a firmer ride) I haven't seen or ridden in a jk with them though, I love them on my TJ. It's comfortable without feeling too mushy, those Springs and shocks really woke up the handling of my tired old beast. Unfortunately I only got to wheel it once with that setup before some catastrophic frame issues came up (which led to the purchase of my JK) but I will say that it didn't disappoint on the one outing I had it on.

That being said: For my money, I'd go with the evo enforcer. The emu suspensions are typically very expensive. The evo setup is one of the most cost effective premium setups I've found, and while I've never ridden in one, half of the forum runs their plush ride coils, and they swear by them.

Last edited:

Mitrig

I am really trying to be mean towards old man emu heavy duty shocks just because of the setup I am slowly moving towards my current suspension with body lift should suit me at about 5 inches of total lift. Though I really don't think I have all 5 inches present. I may be wrong though because I still am running 32 inch tires which is essentially the same as stock height I believe stock was 255 7018 and I am running to 275 6518. I measured total height for clearance from the ground to the inside of my stock fenders where they begin and they measured up to be 40 inches on average give or take a little I believe the front was 41 in the back was 40. There aren't really any cheap set up similar to mine in my area for me to use as a baseline on how much left I am actually getting though I know total height six me at about 75 inches or so so I would like to know what I should be sitting at with a about 5 inches of lift over stock. I know I am lifted though I am not quite sure how much of my live I am truly getting. I've searched up a few set ups and I know on average with 35's and a 3 1/2 inch lift one individual said he had a total height of 78 inches which is 3 inches larger than me. Sorry for the horrible grammar everyone I've been dictating into my phone since I can't really type on it that well anymore it lags way too much

Mitrig

With that being said I do know for sure I have been getting quite a bit of my live though I am not sure how much sagging has occurred since it was installed a year ago I know in comparison to my friends whom drive stocks to harass getting into mine you literally need to hold onto the whole shit bars and grab handles while getting into theirs it's simply a step and you are in

Mitrig

Figured out how much lift I am actually getting. Stock height to the roof is about 70.9 and I am sitting at 75.1 so relatively very little sag.

Priced up the old man emu hs coils and heavy duty long travel shocks with the stabilizer and it came out to about 1000 Canadian dollars.

This may be an odd question but we don't have a vendor on the forum for ARB or EMU?

Or anyone have a recommendation of a site or place to make a price inquiry for said system? The few I have found don't have details just outdated leaf spring info

HILLZ

I have got the OME lift on my Jkus and i love it, i'm in Australia so when it comes to comparing to the likes of EVO and such i can't really offer anything. The ride is nice and the handling on and off road is great. I'd suggest getting the brake line drop brackets as with my front sway bar disconnected i had more flex than brake line. Haven't check again to see if it still maxes the lines out yet.

Mitrig

I have got the OME lift on my Jkus and i love it, i'm in Australia so when it comes to comparing to the likes of EVO and such i can't really offer anything. The ride is nice and the handling on and off road is great. I'd suggest getting the brake line drop brackets as with my front sway bar disconnected i had more flex than brake line. Haven't check again to see if it still maxes the lines out yet.

Does it compare to how they ride in the landcruisers? I love the ride of the emu on the yota I've been in but it had leafs. I love a stiff ride but I'm getting excessive body roll with how soft my suspension has become. Then again I have not off set my wheels from stock at all. So hoping with my 35s and offset rims I can even out my centre.

I creeped your pictures, do you have te long travel shocks?

HILLZ

I'm not sure if they're the long travel, they're the nitrocharger shock they give good on the stuff and the droop, i would say the are long travel.
Not sure on the ride in a cruiser with OME but i only get minimal roll in corners, plenty of flex off road and plenty of feel through the steering wheel and the seat on what's going on below me

Mitrig

I really like how stiff the suspension felt with an unloaded rig in the yotas I've driven and how they maintained amazing handling with a packed rig and offroad trailer. I'll see if I can find a local vendor and possibly see if they have a test rig, I know a few of the local places have a few rigs for you to try to get a feel for the suspension. Maybe with some luck there will be one with emu but doubt it

Top Bottom