HOTOIL Warning while wheeling

Rryanstauffer

So I was out on a trail about a month back.... may have been in 4hi, can't remember exactly, on the 4 peaks trail in Arizona. I was climbing a hill then I got a chime and hotoil warning.... I took it out of 4hi and put it in neutral... The light eventually turned off but it really freaked me out because I didn't have an extinguisher readily available.

What could be the culprit and how do I avoid that? I am rather new to all of this and it really freaked me out about going back to 4 peaks.

Any insight would be appreciated on what I did wrong, should/shouldn't do....

I have a 2010 jku, pretty much stock

Cheers! :beer:

So I was out on a trail about a month back.... may have been in 4hi, can't remember exactly, on the 4 peaks trail in Arizona. I was climbing a hill then I got a chime and hotoil warning.... I took it out of 4hi and put it in neutral... The light eventually turned off but it really freaked me out because I didn't have an extinguisher readily available.

What could be the culprit and how do I avoid that? I am rather new to all of this and it really freaked me out about going back to 4 peaks.

Any insight would be appreciated on what I did wrong, should/shouldn't do....

I have a 2010 jku, pretty much stock

Cheers! :beer:

Do you have an automatic?

If so next time try putting the transmission in a specific gear instead of drive that will keep the transmission from working so hard looking for the right gear.

Moochie

It's telling you that your transmission fluid temp is getting hot. Stopping and putting it in neutral with the engine idling is what you are supposed to do. Until the light goes off and the fluid cools down.

While climbing on the dirt, it's a good idea to keep your RPMs near 3000. It might be necessary to put it into 4 low.

jeff_in_rc

We have had several people in our group of friends and club members experience the same thing. They were all JK's, with autos, in 4 hi, and in drive.

We have told them that they need to do one of 2 things:

1) locked in low gear or second, NOT in drive.

2) in 4 low.

Once they do this they don't have the hot oil problem again.

BTW 3 of these people have NOT re-geared and have 35's which seems to make the problem worse.

Rryanstauffer

Great thanks for all the input guys...

I have since changed the fluid... is there anything I should be worried about next time i go out?

Thanks again

tankcj

I run 35s with an auto tranny and try to stay in 4lo as much as I can or if I'm running more than 15-20mph I go into 4hi and keep it out of drive. I also went with the ORW tranny cooler. Kinda pricey but it's well built and I have never gotten a hot oil message.

Jde

Temps "HOT OIL LIGHT"

Happened to me last month in Maine. Going up a long grade to the top of a mountain and the "HOT OIL" light came on. I also have an Aeroforce Interceptor gauge and have it set to alert at 220 degrees. The warning light on the Interceptor came on at 220, but no "HOT OIL" alert on the dash at this time. Being so close to the top of that mountain I continued on. The "HOT OIL" light on the dash finally came on at 270 degrees. Later that day I checked for discoloration and burnt smell of the trans fluid. That checked OK at this time.
Kind of worried me so I'm going to put in an additional Mopar trans cooler Part# 82212486AB and change that oil as soon as I get a chance. Hopefully that will help some.

jeeeep

Hooked
Great thanks for all the input guys...

I have since changed the fluid... is there anything I should be worried about next time i go out?

Thanks again

lock out OD and keep it locked out while you wheel, that should keep your transmission from gear "hunting"

I also have a 2010 auto and runs much better wheeling with OD locked out.

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
It's telling you that your transmission fluid temp is getting hot. Stopping and putting it in neutral with the engine idling is what you are supposed to do. Until the light goes off and the fluid cools down.

While climbing on the dirt, it's a good idea to keep your RPMs near 3000. It might be necessary to put it into 4 low.

This. One of the fastest ways of heating your transmission fluid is to run 4HI when you should have been in 4LO. Learn to "feel" your Jeep. If it sounds like it's stuggling (imagine riding a bike up a hill in the longest gear)....then you need to downshift, put it in 4lo, or both. The jeep should climb effortlessly, so if it isn't, then downshift. If it doesn't become effortless, 4lo.

Last edited:

Rryanstauffer

Thanks for all the replies everyone!
Went back out on the same trail last weekend and had no problems in 2nd gear throughout.
I love this website and my jeep!

:usa:

4peaks2.jpg

p.s. don't hate on my angry eyes!

chttrbx

Happened to me about 3 weeks ago on a steep dirt climb in Kentucky. We googled how to clear it and after the days run took it to walmart to have all oil changed out. Happened the next day too. Maybe the tranny oil cooler would be a good idea????

Top Bottom