Gear Swap + Diff covers

Rubizon

Hey all,

...so I have done a lot of reading about how the stock diff covers can leak and get damaged on the rocks in due time. I was planning on getting my gears swapped out this weekend by a guy I was referred to. The plan is to eventually get the poison spider bombshell covers from north ridge 4x4; however, at this exact point in time I can't afford to purchase the covers just quite yet (hopefully in the next few months).Will I be alright having the stock covers put back on for a little while?

I don't plan on wheeling any time too soon and hope to have the covers sooner rather than later.

Thanks ahead for any advice!

Dune Crawler

You'll be fine with the stock covers. A few people grind down the bottom lip of the stock diff so it doesn't get snagged up on a rock.

-Nicco

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Hey all,

...so I have done a lot of reading about how the stock diff covers can leak and get damaged on the rocks in due time. I was planning on getting my gears swapped out this weekend by a guy I was referred to. The plan is to eventually get the poison spider bombshell covers from north ridge 4x4; however, at this exact point in time I can't afford to purchase the covers just quite yet (hopefully in the next few months).Will I be alright having the stock covers put back on for a little while?

I don't plan on wheeling any time too soon and hope to have the covers sooner rather than later.

Thanks ahead for any advice!

yup! you will be fine. i wheel my jeep all the time and still have the stock covers on it. what usually happens is that the lip of the stock covers hangs ever so slightly below the bottom of the diff housing. when you take off your stock covers for gears when you can do is grid down the bottom lip of the cover. this will prevent them from bending back and causing them to leak. i would only replace your stock covers if you eventually break them or smash them in on a rock like 10frank9 did (check out his build thread for pics)

edit-dune crawler beat me to it with a shorter explination lol

Rubizon

yup! you will be fine. i wheel my jeep all the time and still have the stock covers on it. what usually happens is that the lip of the stock covers hangs ever so slightly below the bottom of the diff housing. when you take off your stock covers for gears when you can do is grid down the bottom lip of the cover. this will prevent them from bending back and causing them to leak. i would only replace your stock covers if you eventually break them or smash them in on a rock like 10frank9 did (check out his build thread for pics)

edit-dune crawler beat me to it with a shorter explination lol

Good to hear! Thanks! Wanted to clarify and make sure I wasn't going to shoot myself in the foot in any way!

JK1

unless you really just like the looks of the PSC diff cover for about half the price you can get Solid covers... just a thought.. they both do the same thing

Rubizon

unless you really just like the looks of the PSC diff cover for about half the price you can get Solid covers... just a thought.. they both do the same thing

Do you have a personal recommendation? I jumped to the PSC diff covers because I saw Northridge has a package deal with them: front, rear, and lube locker for both for $220. I am completely open to other options, there is no attachment to those at all.

bkac

Caught the Bug
Skip the lube lockers! Save the money

Sent from my VS980 4G using WAYALIFE mobile app

bkac

Caught the Bug
And if you bend your front covers, I have another set I'll mail you. :)

Sent from my VS980 4G using WAYALIFE mobile app

jeeeep

Hooked
stock covers are pretty strong, no need to replace unless you just want the look.

it'll take quite a bit of abuse to cause them to fail. as mentioned, check the diff cover and if it hangs lower than the diff, grind off that small amount - doesn't look like much but it can snag a rock and peel back.

I have a 2010, wheel it often and still have the stock cover on - the SOLID covers I bought are still in the box

Rubizon

I'm really glad I asked about this! I don't need the looks, I thought it was going to be something I actually needed.

I don't have the experience level right now to be doing the kind wheeling that can REALLY screw me over. (Knock on wood)

If your re-gearing, at around 500 miles after the re-gear, your going to want to pull the covers to make sure everything is good and to change the dif fluid. If you still feel the need to replace the stock ones, that would probably be a good time to do so.

Good luck with your build.

David1tontj

stock covers are pretty strong, no need to replace unless you just want the look.

it'll take quite a bit of abuse to cause them to fail. as mentioned, check the diff cover and if it hangs lower than the diff, grind off that small amount - doesn't look like much but it can snag a rock and peel back.

I have a 2010, wheel it often and still have the stock cover on - the SOLID covers I bought are still in the box

I would say it totally depends on where you are wheeling- if you're in big rocks, you need a better diff cover.. Stock covers will bend into the ring gear before you even know you hit something. After that, the ring gear will chew a hole straight through the cover- leaving a bunch of metal shavings or even chunks floating around your precious gears. Not a fun thing to have happen on the trail.

Now for mud and everything else- keep your stock cover.

Rubizon

I think based off of all the feedback I'm just gonna leave the stock covers on and maybe around 500 when I change everything then I can shave it down.

Thanks for all the responses!

GENREC

Didn't want to start another thread on diff covers..so I'm getting regearded next week, and I have my choice of Poison Sypder or or Teraflex diff covers...which would you all chose and why? Im getting a 2.5 suspension left installed, with a new front trackbar, but stock rear trackbar with the relocation bracket, will I be safe with either one of these diffs?

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Didn't want to start another thread on diff covers..so I'm getting regearded next week, and I have my choice of Poison Sypder or or Teraflex diff covers...which would you all chose and why? Im getting a 2.5 suspension left installed, with a new front trackbar, but stock rear trackbar with the relocation bracket, will I be safe with either one of these diffs?

Doesn't really matter which. I'm sure both are stout.

Top Bottom