HydroScrewed?????

KrawlerJK

Soooo finally made it past my break in period of my axles and thought why not go mashin out in the desert.

There's this standing puddle off the hwy in Reno that I have seen swallow literally hundreds of vehicles but I say to myself... I'm the guy that's gonna make it! This was my first mistake.

My second mistake was gunning my rig towards the puddle/mud hole thinking speed is my friend when trying to make it though this stinky sloppy muddy goodness!

Made it halfway in, huge wave over the hood and then it stalled out. Tried to crank it and got one click then nothin. Pulled my cold water... Ahhhem.. Cold "air" intake and looks like it sucked water.

I won't know the outcome till tomorrow when I pull my plugs and try and manually turn my motor over but I guess I'll find out. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1415336184.845569.jpg

Sharkey

Word Ninja
Ruh-roh. That ain't good. Jeeps do not like water unless they are snorkeled and the electronics are protected.

If you lost the motor you might check with some of the swap shops for a cheap replacement.

MTG

Caught the Bug
I don't think you've done enough mods to void you warranty…should be covered. :thumb:

If not, I know where you might be able to get a good deal on a swap.

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
Dude, you have a cold air and smashed into a puddle? Bad move on all fronts. The only helpful piece of advice I can give you.....if what you were on is a legal "road" then you can try your luck with your insurance company.

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
I don't think you've done enough mods to void you warranty…should be covered. :thumb:

If not, I know where you might be able to get a good deal on a swap.

There is no such thing as voiding your warranty, with the exception of a few things (like odometer tampering.) It is actually against federal consumer laws to "void" a warranty. Claims must still be evaluated on an individual basis, and denied on an individual basis.

From chrysler....

Screen Shot 2014-11-07 at 1.57.37 AM.png

Screen Shot 2014-11-07 at 1.58.32 AM.png

This is basically chrysler's main "void"...that and heavy commercial use and abuse. Abuse is the one that gives them some lateral movement in a court of law (arbitration.) However, chrysler's own marketing makes abuse VERY VERY difficult to prove on the wrangler, including water fording, as they advertise this with a photo IN THE BROCHURE!

Section 3.4 already has precedent, as mitsubishi owners sued the company for warranty denial after participating in racing events...in a car marketed for....racing events.

Last edited:

Sharkey

Word Ninja
There is no such thing as voiding your warranty...

Pretty sure MTG's comment was tongue in cheek. Anyway, while you are technically correct, it is also true that some dealerships "flag" certain modified vehicles. Once flagged in the system, it is nearly impossible to get warranty work performed. Yes, as a consumer you can jump up and down about the Mag.-Moss Warranty Act, but unless you have the money and time to go battle Chrysler in court, you are pretty much screwed.

As for the OP. Do us all a favor and don't even attempt insurance fraud. You did something stupid...you can pay the price for playing too hard. Based on your build I'm guessing you can afford to pay for your mistake.

Sharkey

Word Ninja
This. Worst thing they say is no. Best outcome is they call it an act of god and cover you. :thumbup: best of luck.

Soapbox time. Sorry, but I could not disagree with you more. Unless you have coverage that includes off roading, making an insurance claim and being anything but completely honest about what happened is insurance fraud...and it is part of the reason that insurance costs so much in this country.

Either pay the extra money to find a policy that will cover your off road adventures, or accept the consequences and costs associated with how you choose to wheel. To me, this is no different than some asshat who injures his back screwing around on the weekend and then goes to work the following Monday and "takes a fall" so they can claim worker's compensation and disability.

Honesty and integrity start at home people...and if we can't exhibit those traits in our own personal lives, how the hell can we expect them out of our elected officials and corporate leaders?!?

Sorry, rant over.

Brutus

Soapbox time. Sorry, but I could not disagree with you more. Unless you have coverage that includes off roading, making an insurance claim and being anything but completely honest about what happened is insurance fraud...and it is part of the reason that insurance costs so much in this country.

Either pay the extra money to find a policy that will cover your off road adventures, or accept the consequences and costs associated with how you choose to wheel. To me, this is no different than some asshat who injures his back screwing around on the weekend and then goes to work the following Monday and "takes a fall" so they can claim worker's compensation and disability.

Honesty and integrity start at home people...and if we can't exhibit those traits in our own personal lives, how the hell can we expect them out of our elected officials and corporate leaders?!?

Sorry, rant over.

Couldn't agree more!!!

CanadianJK

My policy absolutely cover me offroad. Didn't even have to ask for it, it's standard. My understanding is if it's capable of going offroad then they already charge you a premium to account for offroad use.

I've seen insurance replace a 4 month old JK for hydro locking. Call and talk to them. If you can get the $$ use it for the hemi

Top Bottom