2014 SEMA Black Off-Road Thing

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Honestly, I haven't a clue what this crazy black thing was at the 2014 SEMA Show but, it looks like you can take it off road.

DSC03202.jpg

DSC03203.jpg

DSC03205.jpg

DSC03206.jpg

DSC03207.jpg

DSC03208.jpg

DSC03209.jpg

DSC03210.jpg

DSC03211.jpg

DSC03212.jpg

DSC03213.jpg

DSC03216.jpg

DSC03218.jpg

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
lol at the thread title! thats great! it almost reminds me of some of the dakar rally trucks people build.

StrizzyChris

It looks like RoboCop and Batman collaborated to make a Raptor/Buggy hybrid. It appears they do pretty awesome work! :rock:

rubiRI77

I like it?? No wait. I like it! No.... Yeah......I don't know .... Maybe! The TJ mirrors don't look right. Just saying -

So are the tires mounted correctly?

I thought the close tread on the MTR was supposed to go on the inside.

I do not like it.:grayno:

Linebacker

Caught the Bug
It's easy to figure out what these vehicles are. They're almost always based on a production vehicle. This one is a ah,...???

GCM 2

So let me help you guys out. About 4 or 5 years ago DARPA (the military studies and project group) partnered with the Military organization I was with on developing a light weight, quick response vehicle for specific situations that would need to be infiltrated and exfiltrated quickly with one or two casualties. So we contacted Local Motors, which produces the Rally Fighter car (here in Phoenix). The culmination of the project was this, known as the "Flypmode", should still be searchable on the Internet. I was lucky enough to be a test driver and suspension tuner while we had it. Power supplied by an LS3 with 4L60 trans. Basically it's just a re bodied Rally Fighter.

Here are some photos of it in our shop when it was flat sand colored, in fact the black one at SEMA may be an entirely different vehicle than our test mule.

image-2874241115.jpg

image-4094959302.jpg

image-1557480411.jpg

image-1971371741.jpg

image-3625726678.jpg

image-216213941.jpg

image-752249776.jpg

image-545410435.jpg

image-109690437.jpg

Sithwindu

So let me help you guys out. About 4 or 5 years ago DARPA (the military studies and project group) partnered with the Military organization I was with on developing a light weight, quick response vehicle for specific situations that would need to be infiltrated and exfiltrated quickly with one or two casualties. So we contacted Local Motors, which produces the Rally Fighter car (here in Phoenix). The culmination of the project was this, known as the "Flypmode", should still be searchable on the Internet. I was lucky enough to be a test driver and suspension tuner while we had it. Power supplied by an LS3 with 4L60 trans. Basically it's just a re bodied Rally Fighter.

Here are some photos of it in our shop when it was flat sand colored, in fact the black one at SEMA may be an entirely different vehicle than our test mule.

View attachment 109962

View attachment 109963

View attachment 109964

View attachment 109965

View attachment 109966

View attachment 109967

View attachment 109968

View attachment 109969

View attachment 109970

Wow Greg thanks for that info! How was that beast thing?!

GCM 2

Wow Greg thanks for that info! How was that beast thing?!

A little top heavy and lots of blind spots, but a 433hp LS3 made it fun to throttle steer around our test track. I definitely would not turn it down if it was given to me. The Rally Fighter sits a quite a bit lower, but still has a fairly long nose on it, so I'm not sure it would be too much better as far as blind spots go.

GCM 2

LOL!! Should have known you'd know about this thing, thanks!!

Just one of those weird coincidences really. It's kind of funny, because about a year ago when I was flying back from D.C. there was a guy sitting next to me on the plane and he noticed my screen saver on my iPad (it was a photo from KOH), he asked if I was into off-roading and one thing leads to another he mentioned he worked at Local Motors and builds the Rally Fighter cars. I start laughing, showed him some of my photos from work of the Flypmode vehicle and he freaks out. He said that Local Motors heard that the government had destroyed, or crushed it, or something like that. I said no, that the project ended up going nowhere and the vehicle was in our compound under a covered parking space collecting dust and sitting on four, almost flat tires. I gave him some contact info to the senior logistics person at our unit who had signed for the vehicle and to speak to them about recovering it. Looks like they may have done just that :thumb:

MTG

Caught the Bug
Just one of those weird coincidences really. It's kind of funny, because about a year ago when I was flying back from D.C. there was a guy sitting next to me on the plane and he noticed my screen saver on my iPad (it was a photo from KOH), he asked if I was into off-roading and one thing leads to another he mentioned he worked at Local Motors and builds the Rally Fighter cars. I start laughing, showed him some of my photos from work of the Flypmode vehicle and he freaks out. He said that Local Motors heard that the government had destroyed, or crushed it, or something like that. I said no, that the project ended up going nowhere and the vehicle was in our compound under a covered parking space collecting dust and sitting on four, almost flat tires. I gave him some contact info to the senior logistics person at our unit who had signed for the vehicle and to speak to them about recovering it. Looks like they may have done just that :thumb:

Wow! You just might be the most interesting man in the world...

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1415403469.081191.jpg

Top Bottom