Possible bent frame?

bman198

So I was rear ended on the free way the other day by a motorcycle. The way he hit me, he ran into the back left corner of my jeep and slid under my bumper (ACE pro series with tire carrier). Looking at it after the crash there is a noticeable change in the gap between the bumper and the fenders.
Drivers side: View attachment 109941
Passenger side: ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1415383566.187534.jpg

After dealing with insurance estimates and my own knowledge. I'm led to believe that the gram might possibly be bent. There are no creases in the bumper to say that it bent (which would be pretty damn impressive for a motorcycle). My question is if a possible bend in the frame is there how can I find it? Do I just run my hand around the frame all the way up the body? Any help much appreciated. Thanks!

So I was rear ended on the free way the other day by a motorcycle. The way he hit me, he ran into the back left corner of my jeep and slid under my bumper (ACE pro series with tire carrier). Looking at it after the crash there is a noticeable change in the gap between the bumper and the fenders.
Drivers side: View attachment 109941
Passenger side: View attachment 109943

After dealing with insurance estimates and my own knowledge. I'm led to believe that the gram might possibly be bent. There are no creases in the bumper to say that it bent (which would be pretty damn impressive for a motorcycle). My question is if a possible bend in the frame is there how can I find it? Do I just run my hand around the frame all the way up the body? Any help much appreciated. Thanks!

You can take a measurements from a fixed position on each side like from the front LCA to the Rear LCA and compare the two.

Or take a long flat straight object and laying it on the frame. you should be able to see a gap if it is bent.

I would also look to see if the bumper mounts are tweaked. that could actually be what you are seeing.

bman198

this is what i was thinking. i think the bumper mounts maybe just tweaked a bit and its what your seeing

That's partially what I thought too. But te way the bumper is mounted is two square steal posts that slide into the frame. Then they have two grade A bolts that go through it.

If the post is bent it would explain it, however the post is fit almost all the way up to the bumper itself (if that makes sense). Do you thing there would be enough room for it to bend that much? The insurance company said they measured and the difference was about half an inch.

StrizzyChris

Did the guy die? It would take ONE HELL of a hit to cause the frame to bend. You have a cross member tieing the frame together right behind the bumper, so I cant imagine anything other than a crazy hard impact, or by another car causing any real frame damage.

JayKay

Caught the Bug
As others have said, take the bumper off to check the mounts and bumper itself. If the frame were bent, there would be gap differences all around the jeep. The energy from an impact in the rear of the frame would be transferred through the entire frame, so you'd see signs at the rear doors at least, depending on how hard you were hit. As Strizzy said, the guy would be in pretty bad shape if he hit you hard enough to bend the frame.

Top Bottom