Strange whining sound

el_chupo_

So 2 weeks ago we went wheeling out at Bridgeport, about an hour and a half drive from home, highway speeds for almost all of it. I never noticed anything out of the ordinary, and the wife was along so I wasnt cranking the tunes. Also had my dog in the Jeep with us.

When out, we went through a couple of mud holes, all at low speed, nothing deeper than about 12-16" deep - I dont think it would have even covered the axles. The rest of it was hard pack/rocks, some hills (moderate rubbing with no lift/stock tires), but nothing too bad.

Last Saturday we took the jeep on a drive, about 20 minutes, and wife and I almost immediately noticed the noise, whining almost like radio static, not quite a "high pitched" whine, but there from about 35+.

Got back home, and just forgot to check into it any more, and today I just took it to grab some food, and noticed the whining again. It is coming from the rear of the vehicle/behind the driver. I cannot tell if it is coming from one side or the other. Again, at about 35+. No noticeable difference in how it rode/drove/handled.

Anyone have any ideas what I should be looking at? I was planning on taking the Jeep on a trip tomorrow, about 350 miles over the weekend, but I dont want to do any damage.

Thanks

Check the dust covers to see if you might have some mud built up around it.

I cannot remember if the bearing are sealed but if they are not you might want to pull them and grease them.

R/
Will

el_chupo_

Pardon the ignorance - Wheel dust covers? Like those old "brake dust shields" that go behind the wheel, or something else?

Thanks

MarkW13

Clean out the rear brakes. I believe the parking brake is a drum style brake under the rotor.

You may have some water in your diff. Outside chance, but if cleaning the brakes doesn't work that's the next spot I'd check.

Mark

Sent from my Nexus 7 using WAYALIFE mobile app

jeeeep

Hooked
hmm Bridgeport eh...well the clay/mud likely dried to rock, I'd pull the wheels so you can get a better view.

el_chupo_

Thanks for the ideas. Anything special need to get into the drum?
Any odd steps that one wouldnt expect to run into?

Top Bottom