2010 shifter noise

Rubizon

Hey everyone, so I got my clutch replaced a little while ago and ever since then I've been hearing a noise from the shifter. It seems like i just hear the transmission and clutch and everything working and there is no silence. I had someone tell me to make sure the inner boot was properly placed, because without a seal thats what could be the cause of all the noise making its way through. The noise was bearable and didn't bother me, but now that I got my gears changed and the revs are higher than before it is quite annoying.

So anyway, I removed the outer shift boot and the inner shift boot was basically just slid on top of the shifter and wasn't secured down in any way, shape or form. What my ultimate question is…is that how the inner shift boot is supposed to be, or should it be secured down and be creating a better seal? if so, how do i properly secure it down?

Thanks!

Ok, I can't really tell if it's seated right or not but there's a quick way for you to tell. Does it get really hot in your ride when you drive it? If so, that boot isn't seated.
Next, look at this pic ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1415592329.402037.jpg There is a notch under the lip of the sheet metal, that boot rides in the notch and overlaps over the top. Also, under the boot is two pieces of foam that fit around the shift tower, if those are missing then you will have more outside noise than before.
Lastly, see the torx bolt that holds the shifter on? Make sure it was put back in tight, may even add a spot of locktite to it. If it is loose and rattling it will drive you insane.

Rubizon

Ok, I can't really tell if it's seated right or not but there's a quick way for you to tell. Does it get really hot in your ride when you drive it? If so, that boot isn't seated.
Next, look at this pic View attachment 110245 There is a notch under the lip of the sheet metal, that boot rides in the notch and overlaps over the top. Also, under the boot is two pieces of foam that fit around the shift tower, if those are missing then you will have more outside noise than before.
Lastly, see the torx bolt that holds the shifter on? Make sure it was put back in tight, may even add a spot of locktite to it. If it is loose and rattling it will drive you insane.

Oh well shit, looking at yours mine isn't seated at all. If I just push it underneath that metal lip is that essentially all I need to do? Ill look to make sure there is foam underneath it before I do.

Thanks! That picture helps a million times!

Rubizon

You know what. I don't even think I got down to the inner boot. It looks like there is more of a sleeve on the one in my picture.

Oh well shit, looking at yours mine isn't seated at all. If I just push it underneath that metal lip is that essentially all I need to do? Ill look to make sure there is foam underneath it before I do.

Thanks! That picture helps a million times!

Wait! That pic doesn't show the boot at all, just the groove I told you about. Here's one with the boot ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1415593027.303147.jpg see how it overlaps onto the top of the sheet metal ? There is also part of the boot that you can't see in this pic that fits into the groove in the previous pic.

Also, be sure to check the boot for cracks and tears. That pic I just posted was of the trimming needed for a body lift, so that big ugly hole shouldn't be on your boot at all, lol.

Rubizon

ok, so comparing that first picture to the second one that you had posted. the second one is more like the one i sent you. Do i remove that plastic boot and then the inner boot is what you were showing me on the first photo? I think I will have to wait until tomorrow morning when I get off work and I have some daylight to really see what is going on. I wasn't able to take the shifter nob and top boot off i just peeled it up in order to snap those pictures.

ok, so comparing that first picture to the second one that you had posted. the second one is more like the one i sent you. Do i remove that plastic boot and then the inner boot is what you were showing me on the first photo? I think I will have to wait until tomorrow morning when I get off work and I have some daylight to really see what is going on. I wasn't able to take the shifter nob and top boot off i just peeled it up in order to snap those pictures.

That's fine, I'll be around to help you out.

jknikos

With this thread i just realized where my noise and heat come from. I need to replace my inner boot. Damm body lift. :mad:

Top Bottom