2012 JK-Experience Heartland Tour : Day 5/Part 1 - Silver Lake Sand Dunes

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Day 5/Part 1 - Silver Lake Sand Dunes
About half way up the state of Michigan and situated along the eastern shores of the lake bearing its name, there is a wonderful little beach community called Silver Lake and, without a doubt, its big claim to fame is its beautiful sand dunes. Straddled between Lake Michigan and Silver Lake, the park is about 1.5 miles wide and 3 miles long and the northern most stretch of it is dedicated to off-road vehicles. What makes this place particularlly special is that the dunes here are the only ones that allow private motorized vehicles to play on east of Utah. With only a 6 month window and a closing date of October 31st, we were happy to have gotten a chance to get on them and tear it up. Here are some highlight shots from our morning on the dunes, I hope you enjoy.

The crack of dawn at Silver Lake - man was it ever pretty there...
main.php

Early morning drivers meeting to let us know we had the wrong kind of saftey flags on our Jeeps and needed to get a replacement before heading out - what a bummer...
main.php

Changing out our triangles for a square flag...
main.php

main.php

Lining up and getting ready to play...
main.php

Our friendly ranger giving us the low down...
main.php

Heading out onto the sand...
main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

Time to have some fun!!
main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

Brenda making a valient attempt on Challenge Hill...
main.php

Oh yeah!! Andrew crested the hill...
main.php

main.php

Making a stop to relax a bit over by the shores of Lake Michigan...
main.php

main.php

EVO1 tearing off to hit some whoops!!
main.php

Moby joining in on the fun...
main.php

Of course, nothing can beat this awesome pic of Greg taken by Tim from Nitto...
attachment.php

After a fun filled morning, it was time to air up and get ready to head on out to our next destination...
main.php

Country roads.... take me home....
main.php

Okay, might be time to back off a bit - COUGH COUGH!!
main.php

I know I had it here somewhere - In all seriousness, wheeling hard and putting on hundreds of miles has a way of working nuts and bolts loose. It's just a good thing it was caught here instead of on the trail...
main.php

main.php

On the move again and almost to our activities for the second part of our day...
main.php

Click on the link below to see more photos from our first day on the 2012 JK-Experience:

Day 5/Part 2 - Rocks and Valleys Off-Road Park

:cool:

Top Bottom