Broken valve stem.

Ceithre

I went on a road trip this weekend to see family. When I was about to head back I turned the jeep on and got tire pressure warning. So I went to check tire pressure. On my rear passenger side wheel the stem sheared off when I was trying to take the cap off.
1415671782150.jpg
1415671810962.jpg

So my question is is it possible just to replace the stem and not the whole TPMS sensor? If so where can a guy buy the replacement stem? I have a 09 Sahara 2 Dr stock 18 inch wheels.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using WAYALIFE mobile app

hydrohut

Same thing happened to me when pumping up the tire. The end just fell off, must have fractured it off road. I took the good stem out of the spare and just put a rubber one in the spare. If it happens again I will have to buy a new one or just go rubber all round and disable the TPMS.

Ceithre

Awesome thank you! Yeah I would like to run with out TPMS but I need to get a procal to disable it. I wouldn't be able to ignore the warning message.

Ceithre

Well I just ordered a parts kit off eBay I searched "jeep wrangler TPMS parts kit" and it popped right up! And only $5.69 shipped. Thanks again for the help. I did a little bit of googling before I posted here I guess I was just using the wrong terms in my search.:rolleyes:

AC/DC

Was your valve cap metal or plastic? It is not recommended to use metal caps on tpms' because the valve stem is aluminum. Ran in to it a lot when I work for Goodyear and Firestone shops.

Just some advice.

Ceithre

Was your valve cap metal or plastic? It is not recommended to use metal caps on tpms' because the valve stem is aluminum. Ran in to it a lot when I work for Goodyear and Firestone shops.

Just some advice.

Yes they are metal thankyou!!!! I'll pick up plastic ones when I get my service kit! This place is oozing with knowledge! Can't thank you guys enough.

rinkishjk

Just some advice.

Yea the different metals corrode together. Happens Alot, especially when people go get the fancy decorative caps.

Ceithre

Yea the different metals corrode together. Happens Alot, especially when people go get the fancy decorative caps.

Yeah my jeep came with those caps never thought of it. But makes total sense on why it broke off!

Serg5000

A friend broke one when we were on the Rubicon. That was my lesson. The day after I got home from that epic trip I had the TPMS's removed.

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
I'd like to add a few of these to my offroad bag, anyone have a link to the correct JK parts kit? I searched and see a million of them, just want to make sure I get the correct one.

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
Actually, looking at them, it doesn't seem like they can be fixed out on the trail. It seems you need to take the tire off to change it out.

Top Bottom