Stock tire carrier

Bacon

I've read more than one thread/post about ppl having 35's on their stock carrier with no rattles or problems. My '08 stock carrier was unbearable with a 35 on it. The bushings/pins in my tailgate are toast. When I took the carrier off I found that it was cracked too.

So I guess my question is, what makes the newer carriers so mch better? Is the carrier itself stronger on the newer Jeeps? Are the bushings stronger? Is the tailgate latch better? All of the above?

Sent from my SGH-I547C using WAYALIFE mobile app

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
I've read more than one thread/post about ppl having 35's on their stock carrier with no rattles or problems. My '08 stock carrier was unbearable with a 35 on it. The bushings/pins in my tailgate are toast. When I took the carrier off I found that it was cracked too.

So I guess my question is, what makes the newer carriers so mch better? Is the carrier itself stronger on the newer Jeeps? Are the bushings stronger? Is the tailgate latch better? All of the above?

did you have the tire firmly pushed up agaisnt the bumpstops? and how long did you run a 35 on your carrier for?

Bacon

did you have the tire firmly pushed up agaisnt the bumpstops? and how long did you run a 35 on your carrier for?

yeah, it was tight against the bumpstops. To be honest, I bought the Jeep used, and it came to me like this. I have no idea what the previous owner did to it. But I do know it was wheeled before (althought it was stock when I bought it) and the tire carrier had a CB antenna hooked to it at some point. The issue for me I guess really is the bushings in the gate hinges. But then, the carrier itself was cracked around one of the top studs too.

yeah, it was tight against the bumpstops. To be honest, I bought the Jeep used, and it came to me like this. I have no idea what the previous owner did to it. But I do know it was wheeled before (althought it was stock when I bought it) and the tire carrier had a CB antenna hooked to it at some point. The issue for me I guess really is the bushings in the gate hinges. But then, the carrier itself was cracked around one of the top studs too.

You should be able to get replacement bushings.

EVOLANDER is running 37's mounted on ATX Slabs attached to a stock tire carrier. In fact EVOLANDER has participated in two JKX's 2013 and 2014.

R/
Will

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door

I'm no expert but it could just be that it was so old that it eventually failed. As long as the spot welds didn't fail you could replace it with a stock one that someone else removed.

Bacon

lol, the second one I bought was cracked in the same place!!

Do you guys know if there were any design changes that make the new ones any stronger than the older ones?

rosst192

With bump stops removed, how sketchy would you all say a 35 would be. I bought my jeep with a diamond plate tailgate cover so the bump stops were taken off. I want a spare on though unlike the previous owner. But without bumpstarts I'm kind of worried.

Bacon

You really should have the bumps to keep everything nice and tight. The more movement there is the more likely it is to cause issues like cracks on the carrier and worn out bushings. It will also make a lot more noise bouncing around.

rosst192

You really should have the bumps to keep everything nice and tight. The more movement there is the more likely it is to cause issues like cracks on the carrier and worn out bushings. It will also make a lot more noise bouncing around.

I was going to try to weld up and make something that uses the hitch receiver and holds under the tire to support it

scooter k

What's the wheel/tires weigh that you guys are putting on there? My stock was 74lbs and the new one is probably 125lbs. Tire hits the rear bumper and comes no where close to the hitting the bump stops.

jeeeep

Hooked
What's the wheel/tires weigh that you guys are putting on there? My stock was 74lbs and the new one is probably 125lbs. Tire hits the rear bumper and comes no where close to the hitting the bump stops.

what size tire and wheel backspace do you have? if stock wheel you'll want to get a spacer for it. I have 4.5" backspace on my wheel and it mounts flush to the carrier and use Daystar bump stops. Tire seems to just barely rest on the stock bumper but I've been running it like this for the last 4 years and wheeling it no issues - 315/70/17 BFG

Last edited:

scooter k

what size tire and wheel backspace do you have? if stock wheel you'll want to get a spacer for it. I have 4.5" backspace on my wheel and it mounts flush to the carrier and use Daystar bump stops. Tire seems to just barely rest on the stock bumper but I've been running it like this for the last 4 years and wheeling it no issues - 315/70/17 BFG

35/12.5/20 with a 4.5" back spacing. The tire is hitting the bumper. Just threw it up there and didn't tighten it down or anything.

Top Bottom