Building A Front Axle In Stages?

JK LYF

I'm hoping for some advice, direction. I have an 08 2 door. Last month I was able to get a set of 37,s from a friend. Since my stock tires were just about done, I went ahead and put them on, knowing I would see a decline in power (I have 3.73 gearing). I also knew my front D30 would have to be replaced.

I am now looking for a D44. I'm thinking of something new, maybe a PR44. Here's my question. Can I buy it in stages? Can I purchase the housing, then the rest as money becomes available? If so, can someone give me a list of everything I would have to buy. That would help me start buying the parts I need one paycheck at a time. Or is this not a good plan?

I was told I need 5.13 gearing and a locker.

My rig is not my daily driver.

Thanks for any input.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

I would just save and order it complete once you have the money.... This way it is built professionally and ready to bolt in.

Your "Need" for a locker really depends on how you wheel and what you plan to do with your rig.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
I'm hoping for some advice, direction. I have an 08 2 door. Last month I was able to get a set of 37,s from a friend. Since my stock tires were just about done, I went ahead and put them on, knowing I would see a decline in power (I have 3.73 gearing). I also knew my front D30 would have to be replaced.

I am now looking for a D44. I'm thinking of something new, maybe a PR44. Here's my question. Can I buy it in stages? Can I purchase the housing, then the rest as money becomes available? If so, can someone give me a list of everything I would have to buy. That would help me start buying the parts I need one paycheck at a time. Or is this not a good plan?

I was told I need 5.13 gearing and a locker.

My rig is not my daily driver.

Thanks for any input.

i would save your money and do the PR44 and gears with rear locker all at once and just have fun with your d30 till it finally fails.

if you want to do it in stages tho yes you can buy just the PR44 housing that reuses the d44 internals and build it up as money allows but i would still suggest going to route i mentioned above.

sc_rhino

Well you have to be careful with your decision to buy the correct housing b/c the elocker housing isn't compatible with a housing that accepts an arb locker.

JK LYF

Thanks for the input/advice. So, if I buy the completed axle, it can be bolted on? I'm sure that would save me some cash.

Newb question. If I bought the front 44 complete with new gears and get some help bolting it in, how do I get the rear axle regeared? I know I can't do that on my own, so I would have to take it to a shop. I'm pretty sure u can't have different gears in front and back to drive. So do I tow it?

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Thanks for the input/advice. So, if I buy the completed axle, it can be bolted on? I'm sure that would save me some cash.

Newb question. If I bought the front 44 complete with new gears and get some help bolting it in, how do I get the rear axle regeared? I know I can't do that on my own, so I would have to take it to a shop. I'm pretty sure u can't have different gears in front and back to drive. So do I tow it?

Take out your front driveshaft and you can drive it.

JK LYF

Also, does anyone have a good price range on the PR44? Complete with 5.13 gears. Am I in the ballpark with 4k?

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
You don't need Reid knuckles and you don't need RCV shafts. That'll save you at least $1500. Prosteer balljoint a aren't needed but I would pony up the extra cash for them up front.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Thanks coz! I'll check it out. Was that with a locker?

yup. 5.13's, arb, chromoly shafts, dynatrac pro steers, 1310 yoke, reuse stock knuckles. then factor in another $500 +/- or so for a new front driveshaft as well

JK LYF

i would save your money and do the PR44 and gears with rear locker all at once and just have fun with your d30 till it finally fails

Coz, man I wish I could take it out and have fun until the d30 fails but I'm afraid it will fail on the first trail I hit! Then I'm screwed until I can get the new axle. I'm not too sure the 30 will hold even with going easy!

hbkid22

Northridge4x4 has a complete PR44 unlimted for around $4500 with gears, locker and master install....I know you are not close to the shop but you could possibly call them up to buy it complete.

Questions - do you have a manual or auto? If you have a manual stick with 4.88 gears otherwise yes on the 5.13.

And yes you can drive after you install the front axle even with different gears. As mentioned you can unhook the front drive shaft or as long as you dont put it in 4wd I believe you can leave it hooked up as long as its a short distance....

JK LYF

You don't need Reid knuckles and you don't need RCV shafts. That'll save you at least $1500. Prosteer balljoint a aren't needed but I would pony up the extra cash for them up front.

Thanks Overlander! That's good to know. I need to get one ASAP so saving any amount will help.

hbkid22

Coz, man I wish I could take it out and have fun until the d30 fails but I'm afraid it will fail on the first trail I hit! Then I'm screwed until I can get the new axle. I'm not too sure the 30 will hold even with going easy!

Have you put on the c-gussets? You could get away with a few trail runs on 37s if you welded on the c-gussets...You are right it wont last long but you could do a couple runs.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Northridge4x4 has a complete PR44 unlimted for around $4500 with gears, locker and master install....I know you are not close to the shop but you could possibly call them up to buy it complete.

Questions - do you have a manual or auto? If you have a manual stick with 4.88 gears otherwise yes on the 5.13.

And yes you can drive after you install the front axle even with different gears. As mentioned you can unhook the front drive shaft or as long as you dont put it in 4wd I believe you can leave it hooked up as long as its a short distance....

Disagree. 5.13's with 37's. 5.38's would be even better but only if he went bigger axles.

JK LYF

The drive to northridge is doable, probably about 70 miles. That's good to know. Heard nothing but good things about them. And yes, I have an auto.

hbkid22

Disagree. 5.13's with 37's. 5.38's would be even better but only if he went bigger axles.

You think its needed though? I only ask because I went to Northridge in Longmont and talked with them about future plans, etc...and mentioned I would want to regear with 5.13s but he noted I had a manually and said I only need 4.88s with 37s and I was planning 5.13s since I also live in CO....

Top Bottom