Wave from the BBQ Capitol of the World

avi8or

Hello

I was introduced to Wayalife by a guy I purchased a set of stock bumpers from.

Last November while recovering from a motorcycle accident, I decided to hangup my long time hobby and passion for bikes and look for off-road adventure of another form. Sold my fleet of dual sport bikes and my Prius and ordered the Jeep. (No snide Prius comments. It is just a car and a great commuter car at that. Haha)

Decided on a 2014 Sport 2 door one year ago next week and received it in January. I wish I would had known enough to order a Rubicon at the time, but I was a n00b. There were a couple of trails in the San Juan Mountains this past August I passed on that I would have tried with a Rubicon...Oh well, water under the bridge. Also, at the time I didn't think $500 was justified for 3.73 gears...yet more water under the bridge.:blush: However, 3.21s do very well on the highway.

I am looking to replace my transfer case with a Rubi case if anyone has a low mile 2012+ Rock-trac from an auto sitting around. I think it would give me that little bit of low speed I wanted with the stock setup.

Funny thing...this summer I kept track of Jeep waves returned from different Jeep types. Here are some general results from about 2 months of keeping track.

Rubicon JK - returned about 90% of the time.
Sahara JK - returned about 40% of the time.
Sport/X JK - returned about 65% of the time.
Other (YJ, TJ, etc) - returned about 60% of the time.
Modified Jeep of any vintage - returned about 95% of the time.

Last edited:
Hello

I was introduced to Wayalife by a guy I purchased a set of stock bumpers from.

Last November while recovering from a motorcycle accident, I decided to hangup my long time hobby and passion for bikes and look for off-road adventure of another form. Sold my fleet of dual sport bikes and my Prius and ordered the Jeep. (No snide Prius comments. It is only a car and a great commuter car at that. Haha)

Decided on a 2014 Sport 2 door one year ago next week and received it in January. I wish I would had known enough to order a Rubicon at the time, but I was a n00b. There were a couple of trails in the San Juan Mountains this past August I passed on that I would have tried with a Rubicon...Oh well, water under the bridge. Also, at the time I didn't think $500 was justified for 3.73 gears...yet more water under the bridge.:blush: However, 3.21s do very well on the highway.

I am looking to replace my transfer case with a Rubi case if anyone has a low mile 2012+ Rock-trac from an auto sitting around. I think it would give me that little bit of low speed I wanted with the stock setup.

Funny thing...this summer I kept track of Jeep waves returned from different Jeep types. Here are some general results from about 2 months of keeping track.

Rubicon JK - returned about 90% of the time.
Sahara JK - returned about 40% of the time.
Sport/X JK - returned about 65% of the time.
Other (YJ, TJ, etc) - returned about 60% of the time.
Modified Jeep of any vintage - returned about 95% of the time.

Welcome to the WAYALIFE.

Not sure Missouri is the BBQ captial since living in Memphis, TN for several years.

Be prepared to spend about $1000 or more on a Rubicon transfer case. I have only found one in Colorado and they want $1400 for it. I am going to save my pennies for an Atlas transfer case.

R/
Will

avi8or

Well...I have never had any better BBQ that what I have found here. I explored the Atlas route, but I'm not sure it is worth double the cost of a low mileage Rubi case.

Well...I have never had any better BBQ that what I have found here. I explored the Atlas route, but I'm not sure it is worth double the cost of a low mileage Rubi case.

The difference being availability. The Atlas is availlable now where as a Rubi transfer case may not be so readily available then you will have to pay for shipping if you cannot find one in your local area.

Flat Top

Welcome to WOL!

I had a similar change of heart concerning bikes to Jeeps about 5 years back. I can still be out in the elements but not as exposed to other drivers mistakes.

What is considered to be "BBQ" in MO, ribs?

avi8or

Welcome to WOL!

I had a similar change of heart concerning bikes to Jeeps about 5 years back. I can still be out in the elements but not as exposed to other drivers mistakes.

What is considered to be "BBQ" in MO, ribs?

All of it really, but ribs is what most would associate with KC BBQ.

Jackal01

This native Texan is gonna have to disagree with MO being the BBQ capital of the world. :D But having eaten Missouri BBQ, Texas BBQ and Tennessee BBQ I will say TN and MO make some decent BBQ.

Nice pics. I tried to do Black Bear Pass and Imogene this past June but they were closed. Ophir was a good trail, though.

Serious question: Is it pronounced "Oh-fear" or "Oh-fur"? I have heard both by the locals there. :crazyeyes:

Oh and welcome to WAL!!

Last edited:

avi8or

This native Texan is gonna have to disagree with MO being the BBQ capital of the world. :D But having eaten Missouri BBQ, Texas BBQ and Tennessee BBQ I will say TN and MO make some decent BBQ.

Nice pics. I tried to do Black Bear Pass and Imogene this past June but they were closed. Ophir was a good trail, though.

Serious question: Is it pronounced "Oh-fear" or "Oh-fur"? I have heard both by the locals there. :crazyeyes:

Oh and welcome to WAL!!

I asked around. "Oh-fear" was by far the most common pronunciation. I had planned on going in June, but fortunately I was able to move it to August. The steps on BB had some pucker factor, but enjoyed every minute of it.

FrankenJeeper

I'll vouch on Kansas City BBQ, I've had a lot of BBQ growing up and living in the southeast, but the best I've had has been in Kansas City!

2013CGJKU

I'll vouch on Kansas City BBQ, I've had a lot of BBQ growing up and living in the southeast, but the best I've had has been in Kansas City!

I live in Texas and I've had BBQ in Memphis and NC and I will also say that KC has the best BBQ... but maybe that's because I grew up in KC.

You just get a taste for what you grew up on from what I've gathered.

P.S. Welcome to the family brother! I grew up just south of Olathe!

Levi
2013 CG JKU

Top Bottom